Join Early Retirement Today

Pulling the plug
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Pulling the plug

Well after 20+ years at work, I fill like just calling it over. I still have rentals,just to keep busy. But this everyday stuff is getting old. I just turned 56,and been at one job or another sence 12. Just seems like its been going on forever. Wife helps out with rentals,but hasn"t worked in a
paying job sence 1975.
Debob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoy
Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debob View Post
Well after 20+ years at work, I fill like just calling it over. I still have rentals,just to keep busy. But this everyday stuff is getting old. I just turned 56,and been at one job or another sence 12. Just seems like its been going on forever. Wife helps out with rentals,but hasn"t worked in a
paying job sence 1975.
I'd say it's time. Let 'er rip. Pull that plug!

Enjoy, and let us know what's going on, and how you're feeling about it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #4

It is a relief to be able to kick back and not HAVE to do anything. I really enjoyed not having to work, like you I started at 12-13. First year was great, then I started looking for more to do, helped a friend build an airplane, then "sort-of" started looking for a part time job. Finally gave up and just started a new job last week. I'll probably do that for 1-3 years to buy an RV or airplane, then cut back to part time.

The important difference is that I'll be working because I want to, not because I have to. Different people react differently to retirement. It's a bigger change than I thought it would be.