Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #281

Welcome to the forum Bryan.

I wanted to let you know, that I did go to your web site and watched two of the videos which you made with your DW, and enjoyed those quite a bit. The pictures are stunning. (I was laughing when you mentioned - was it "Chicken Cove"?, but I totally understood that). I loved looking at the tranquil green sea, but the dark blue waves - oh my!

When I get the chance, I am going to go back and read through your various blogs over there.

While I am probably close to being the exact opposite, (although hopefully I will not die at my desk, DH would be royally ticked off about that) and do not anticipate living in a van or on a sailboat, I also find your blog very interesting with a lot to offer, including travel, life style, and relationship-in-close-quarters tips.

BTW, I think you were very wise and/or lucky in the choice of your DW.

Now, where is that sharpie! LOL
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #282
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Lots in fire have high income - if they are willing to live cheaply in a van and not have kids, many of them could retire in 10 years of work post college. Let’s say 2 people earning $80k $160 combined) - tax and spend $60k and save $100/yr would end up would have ended up with about $2million in 10 years. Approximately enough to cover the $40k spend (with much less tax).\
Interesting... and totally realistic.
I think in our 12years of working, 4-6yyears of investing we only hit incomes like that for 1 (maybe 2) of those years.

It was VERY clear at the end that if we had been willing to simply stick around for another year or two (at the low overhead and insanely high amount we were saving every month) that we would never have to work/worry about money again. We had already dreamt about those beaches for far too long and left anyway.

Quote:
I have read having a cat can be difficult for repairs in remote places.
I read the same... that's why we tried to find/buy the newest cat we could afford... trying to at least punt some of those problems/learnings a few years down the line and give us a little while to learn/get comfortable with the immediate issues of living on the water and learning to sail.

As it turns out, I think the reason so many cats are difficult to repair is that parts are hard to come by because most cats are made in France. When we were passing through the French Caribbean Islands walking into any marine store was like it was made for out boat (as where back in Florida nothing seemed to fit/match). Seems like as long as you break down near a French island you'll be just fine.

Quote:
I also wonder about the availability of fresh veggies? Do y’all stay more in remote places or anchor next to big cities?
We very much lean to the remote islands/anchorages end of the spectrum.

Not uncommon at all for us to load up on provisions/veggies where we find them and then be "off grid" for 3-4 weeks until running low means its time to head back to a store/market.

Enjoy the Journey!!
brydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I wanted to let you know, that I did go to your web site and watched two of the videos which you made with your DW, and enjoyed those quite a bit.

When I get the chance, I am going to go back and read through your various blogs over there.
Thanks... all sadly outdated at this point (we've always kept the blog only as a way for us to keep photos and memories for us to look back on later and remember the journey), but hopefully now that its the off-season I can get back in the habit of writing down at least major thoughts and events as the last few months are already becoming a bit of a blur.

Quote:
BTW, I think you were very wise and/or lucky in the choice of your DW.
No question. Best choice I've ever made. Lucky she'll have me.

Quote:
Now, where is that sharpie! LOL
Yes!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Enjoy the Journey!!
Old 02-09-2023, 04:25 PM   #284

Hi Bryan,

I'm looking forward to your update.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:36 PM   #285
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello... is this thing on??
*sheepishly hides before warning shots are fired

Enjoy the Journey!!
Old 02-09-2023, 04:37 PM   #286

Yes!
Old 02-09-2023, 09:16 PM   #287
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great post! I pulling the trigger next year at 44. I surfed in my younger years and was going to Mex and Central America in the early 2000s, loved it. Now in 40s but my fire plan is to go back to minimal living and chasing waves. Early retirement was my plan since college, only problem was my plan was before 40 and it will be at 44 where my investments make more than my salary. Congrats on doing so well in your plans and enjoying life rather than being a corporate slave and chasing one more year.
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:19 PM   #288
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just saw post was from 2019 LOL, hopefully you are still living the dream.
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:36 AM   #289
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi All!
it's been 1279 days since my last confession.... oh wait, that's something else.
Apparently it's been 1279 days since I've visited/posted here (at least according to the calculator that kills old threads that are more than 1269days old... or so I'm assuming).

I haven't been here for a loooong while because, well, a few different reasons.
Among those: that we've been incredibly busy, that we (I assume like most) have been a bit preoccupied with the state of world affairs/a global pandemic for the last few years, and (to be very frank) I didn't exactly receive a very warm welcome the last time I tried...

Truth be told - I forgot all about this site until I got a reminded today from someone who wrote us on the side asking questions... which reminded me why I came here to begin with.
My/our goals and aspirations remain the same as the first time I logged in/posted here a few years ago - to hopefully help those who feel slightly "outside the norm" and might have also come here looking for something different than the "standard/known" path and might be hoping to learn that there are in fact different paths available when trying to reach the same/shared destination as most here (freedom, I assume).

I promise I'll try to be as brief/succinct as possible... especially since we all (okay, those who remember this thread) know that I'm not really familiar with the forum rules, FIRE nomenclature or really FIRE in general and/or what the "standard" is... which is much of how I "did it wrong" the first time - so I won't claim to know how to do it any better this time around, but I will keep waving the white flag and walking slowly forward in hopes that my words help at least one person along the way.
_______

Okay, an update - so, last time i wrote here we all thought a pandemic was simply a topic for a movie that we all watch with a bag of popcorn. Oh how the times have changed!
We were personally about 8yrs into our "RE" and entering our mid40s, feeling great about our decisions and loving everything about our lives (even if we weren't yet certain we had the FI part 100% figured out yet)!

We were also just settling into life aboard a sailboat and still learning all the lessons involved - from how to sail it, to how to keep things running, how to dodge weather, how much it actually costs (which was in fact WAY more than the van we traveled in before.

As fate would have it... right about the time we started to realize that boat expenses were greater than we expected, and as we were trying get our house back home listed for sale to cover our living expenses for a few more years (while we figured things out/waited for other investments to grow) - the pandemic hit, our tenants back home struggled paying rent and the housing market shut down completely meaning our house not only didn't sell but sat empty.
Our finances/cash flow got very bad, and very quick!

For a while I started falling into old fears, occasionally thinking people that wrote us here (and everyone else we know who warned us to follow the tried/true path) may have been correct, that maybe we had left too early and were destined for failure - and if I'm honest we got pretty close to a worst case scenario financially.

We found ourselves talking about selling the boat, going back home and getting jobs again (in the middle of a pandemic) and/or starting another business.

I won't lie or sugar coat it - it was stressful to have those conversations/make those decisions... especially down to the last days before turning back home (when we were also watching hurricanes forming in the Atlantic while we were stuck/quarantined right in middle of the hurricane zone (with expiring visas), we're trying to work out/navigate getting entry to another island/country outside the zone during a global lockdown and also trying to solve our personal finances/avoid foreclosure back home).

But at some point we decided to NOT turn back home. We had reinvented ourselves a few times already and now we believed we could do it again - even if it meant starting from scratch.

This time however, we didn't have to start from scratch.
At some point we realized we didn't need to start a new business… we had started it years before and I'd already been working at it for free because I enjoyed it (even if that technically breaks FIRE rules, or so Ive been told) and I simply dove back in to try and make it more/better than it was when we left (after all, we were stuck quarantined in a foreign country, weren't allowed to leave our boat and had little else to do anyway).

For the rest of the pandemic I dove back into the business and was amazed to learn that covid had also created a massive craze in our industry/market (or at least was driving people back to what’s important- nature, freedom, travel, time with those they love, etc).

What seemed a month before to be the end of our journey suddenly turned into a ramp up of sorts. The business took off - we went from drafting letters to let our team go due to covid to within 30days taking deposits for projects a year and a half out... and all doing things I love and had already been doing for years for free because of that passion.

With the increase in work and cashflow, I started to take money from the business for the first time ever, which relaxed our financial concerns until the house back home sold. It was great, I was enjoying the time spent, we were saving money rather than spending it for the first time since we quit our jobs, and all seemed right in the world...
But over the next year or two it also became clear that while orders/income/money increased, our freedom and happiness were on an inverse curve. I suddenly felt jealous when she would be out snorkeling with others, we started planning the next island at least in part by connectivity rather than desire alone, and I started growing to resent very long hours spent doing what once again started to feel more like work than passion.

Ive been re-REing ever since... but we do now find ourselves in a far better place (financially) even than we've ever been before. Somehow during covid we restocked the 401ks we had pulled out/depleted years before. We took the cash from the house selling back home and traded it for an oceanfront condo on our favorite island overlooking an epic reef. We 1031'd a house we renovated years earlier for a 4plex with better cashflow/potential and we decided to push our fears and travel far further than we had ever planned/dreamed. We just transited the Panama Canal last week and are now prepping our boat to sail across the Pacific Ocean.

Im sure many who wrote/responded earlier would (or will) chime in and say "I told you so... you left too early and had to go work again". Others will say "its not really FIRE if youre working or worked again". Others still might claim that we just got lucky or that we are careless/reckless... but I maintain the same sentiment that I originally came here to share with others.

If you truly love what you do, Im the first to say by all means keep doing it! But if you hate the path you're on - there ARE other options and other ways to reach your goals!
Life is short. We are all already on a timeline and counting days, we just don't know the number.... but you can always make more money - but you can never buy more time.
I can tell you first hand there is nothing greater than following your passion and happiness and no greater feeling than knowing you're free to go and do what you want when you want and still be young enough to enjoy it fully.

Saving until you "hit your number" is certainly one tried and true path to get to RE... but anyone choosing that path also needs to be well aware of the risks involved (namely, that you may spend a few more decades working in order to avoid a fear of running out of money because you live too long... but in reality could die earlier than you calculated and never get to spend the money or time you had planned and worked so hard for.).

Our chosen path (of leaving early and figuring it out as we go) also has risks, no doubt! But the beauty is that we aren't risking the living part... and were young enough and able enough to figure those risks out and recover from/solve them (in this case, doing a bit of work that I loved enough to do for free earlier, all while waiting out a pandemic on a boat in the middle of the Caribbean. It could certainly have been worse).
________

All of this can be criticized/debated (I'm all but certain it will be).... but the simple fact is that we each have the power to control the outcome and there is more than one way to reach success (but there isn't a second life even if you guess the timing wrong on this one)!

2years ago we lost our beloved dog and travel companion - and as much as it hurts to this day we at least know that we spent every day/hour with her and we all lived our best lives together as long as we could (she travelled to more countries than most people we've met).
To some of you that may seem ridiculous, but she was our everything and we only made it through because we still have each other.

Last year, my DW had a medical scare and it actually seemed as though I was going to lose her as well.
It shook me/us to the absolute core - but I can tell you quite clearly and honestly that in that moment (and in the days spent in the hospital after while she fought back) - I didn't once, for a single split second think about money, or our savings or insurance or how I would pay for those doctors/tests.
When that time came, literally nothing else mattered other than how we had spent our lives together (and fortunately, how we'll get spend the rest of them).

I/we never once had a single regret, because while I'm not ready (for either of us) to be done with this beautiful life - we know that we are both comfortable whenever that time comes because we've already spent more time living, truly living and experiencing our wildest dreams than we could have ever hoped if we had chosen the "other path" and it's more clear to me than ever that none of us get to control when or how our time comes.

We only get to control what we do with the days left in between!!

Enjoy the Journey!!
Old 02-10-2023, 03:54 AM   #290
Dryer sheet aficionado

Full disclosure, I only read the first and last page of your post, so you've probably mentioned this (I have to get ready for work soon so I can't go through the whole thing now), but what do you do for health insurance? That had me baffled as my mind started thinking about how I'd play every day if I could, particularly when reading about your DWs health scare. Thanks!
Smilinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks
Old 02-10-2023, 04:17 AM   #291
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks

For updating us a few years later.

Your posts reflect a road only a small minority travel and it’s good to hear a perspective from those who don’t wait until things are nearly certain to live out their dreams.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:24 AM   #292
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydanger View Post
I/we never once had a single regret, because while I'm not ready (for either of us) to be done with this beautiful life - we know that we are both comfortable whenever that time comes because we've already spent more time living, truly living and experiencing our wildest dreams than we could have ever hoped if we had chosen the "other path" and it's more clear to me than ever that none of us get to control when or how our time comes.

We only get to control what we do with the days left in between!!
Great perspective. Live life best you can. Sometimes you have to change the plan. Pandemics happen. Hurricanes happen. And so on.

Not everything has gone to plan with my (much later) ER, but we do the best and try to enjoy the ride.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:53 AM   #293
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you don't mind me asking, what was your passion that you converted into a business temporarily? I don't know your back story but I am glad it is working out for you. I wouldn't do it personally. We have been on a glide path: Less work, more time, every year. But then again, I love the work I do but it is still work. I am married to the land (pun intended) so I don't like to travel. Everything I enjoy is right here.

Good luck.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:39 AM   #294
Administrator

As the old saying goes, all roads lead to Rome. I am glad you have found your road. Mine was different, but that's what makes the world an interesting place. If we all did the same thing, it would be boring.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:36 AM   #295
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilinggirl View Post
Full disclosure, I only read the first and last page of your post, so you've probably mentioned this (I have to get ready for work soon so I can't go through the whole thing now), but what do you do for health insurance? That had me baffled as my mind started thinking about how I'd play every day if I could, particularly when reading about your DWs health scare. Thanks!
Don't blame you... there's a LOT in there.

I forget if this got covered back then as well..
We still keep the insurance back home (ACA for a few years and now that I'm paying myself through the company we use that plan)... but have always viewed it as absolute catastrophe plan only (and we also carry a divers policy with evacuation just in case... though most places we spend time it would likely be worthless).

In all honesty though, once spending a lot of time outside the states you start to realize just how broken many things back home are... and medical is certainly at/near the top of the list!
In most countries you'll get as good (or better) care than back home for FAR less money and/or for free.

For mind-mnd-boggling context... the hospital we ended up in was quite literally the newest/nicest I've ever stepped foot inside, her care was absolutely top notch (incredible really):
- her transportation (ambulance ride)
- 3 days in the ER
- couple days in a specialty ward
- all care and all testing (including several cat scans and MRIs)
came to less than $4k!!

Pretty sure the ambulance ride in the states would have cost us that (much less a single night in any ER bed).

This certainly became a central topic as we started truly discussing where we might want our island home to be in the future (in case/when we finally decide to no longer island hop).
Free health care certainly belongs high on a short list... with remote island and pristine reef.

Enjoy the Journey!!
Old 02-10-2023, 06:38 AM   #296
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
For updating us a few years later.

Your posts reflect a road only a small minority travel and it’s good to hear a perspective from those who don’t wait until things are nearly certain to live out their dreams.
I think that's exactly why we share our journey (here and elsewhere). All too many people feeling "stuck" as we did before without seeing any possible way out.

I certainly wouldn't suggest everyone follow our path exactly, but do feel people should know there are other options/paths.

Enjoy the Journey!!
Old 02-10-2023, 06:48 AM   #297
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what was your passion that you converted into a business temporarily? I don't know your back story but I am glad it is working out for you. I wouldn't do it personally. We have been on a glide path: Less work, more time, every year. But then again, I love the work I do but it is still work. I am married to the land (pun intended) so I don't like to travel. Everything I enjoy is right here.

Good luck.
Jealous I am. Truly. If we felt anything less than hatred/entrapment for our old jobs we would have easily stayed!

We don't mind you asking anything - were 100% transparent about it all (good, bad & ugly).

Once we ran away we (accidentally) started a couple businesses.
- The first was designing small homes and ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units) for people simply because it was something we did/learned for ourselves and after seeing ours friends/neighbors and eventually strangers kept asking us to help. We did for a while for free but then decided that for strangers it was worth getting paid for the time as well.
Still get calls from the business line and still take some projects helping others design their dream homes/dream lifestyles. Currently helping a few different sets of friends (one with a gorgeous plot of sand in the Temecula valley and one restoring a watermill in Spain), but both just for pleasure - no money trading hands... I find its far more enjoyable that way and takes all the pressure off both sides.
- The other was much the same in terms of how the process/business started... Just having a lot of people asking us to help them do what we had done and then eventually made it a business/accepted payment - but this time around building out camper vans like we did our home on wheels.

This is the market that went absolutely insane during covid while people reset their priorities and realized they needed more nature in their lives!

Enjoy the Journey!!
Old 02-10-2023, 06:58 AM   #298
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! You're very brave and entrepreneurial. Looks like some of the risks people mentioned (and a pandemic no one anticipated) did manifest themselves at various times and you worked your rear off to meet the challenges. Congratulations on a great journey and thanks for taking lots of time to share.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #299
Recycles dryer sheets

Great story brydanger. Really appreciate you taking time and sharing your journey with us.

As I always say - structured life is overrated. Kudos to you for following your passion.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #300
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This occurred to me, you are living what many novelists imagine sitting in a tiny room with a typewriter. Adventures beyond our imagination . I read the books but would never have the guts to actually 'just do it' (as Nike would say).

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote