Join Early Retirement Today

Quiting day job June 2014
Old 11-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Quiting day job June 2014

Hello, I have just decided this weekend that 30 June 2014 will be my last day of work at my paid job. I choose the thread name because we plan to continue and increase our voluntary "work" through our church. I'm excited but wife is a bit apprehensive, however I've been reading this site for a while and have no doubt that it is the right time. So, after working pretty hard for over 38 years, including 21 in the Air Force, I get to take a little break I'll be 57! My wife and I are both detail oriented and have always budgeted and so we know exactly what we currently spend, about 65K per year and that includes a small mortgage payment plus two new car payments, and all medical even after I quit. Only to say that we have some margin if needed. All of the calculators show I can generate between 92-100K per year with a 2.5-3% inflation factored in and I know my taxes will be 13-14% total even here in high-tax Maryland. So we will have 80-84K after tax income plus we also get about 10K from an informal rental arrangement for now. So glad to be able to join you all in this adventure. Oh and we've been blessed with my wife being a stay at home mom and volunteer serving others for the last 30+ years. Hobbies and activities include helping others less fortunate, bicycling, hiking, motorcycles and of course grand kids.
Going for it is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My co-worker retired last year and his wife was like your wife (volunteering) and she was also worried. So I thought it was so cute when she changed her Facebook status to retired (with an exclamation point) when he retired. She had been his partner all those years and had taken up the slack and could now relax with him.

Congrats.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on the June 30 retirement date! There is still eight months between now and then, so hopefully nothing will get in the way and derail your plans.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the welcome TinLizzy, that is cute. I hope my wife comes around to that attitude.

Ready - Thanks for the welcome and gentle reminder to not count chickens before they hatch. Most of our income will be "guaranteed", so we really are set to cover current spending and some extra fun as well.
Going for it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats! You will be a free bird come June 2014!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote