Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
We have had a second home condo in Ft. Myers area for 12 years and have considered moving there full time more than once. So far, we like the 8 months in Midwest/4 months in FL lifestyle. I hear lots of warnings about the summer humidity and heat. As a thought, it is much cheaper to rent up north in the summers, than to rent in FL for the winter. I spoke to a recent Floridian about this and he told me they rent student housing at a Minn. University each summer to get away. About $1200 a month. They have access to all University amenities. Sounds very interesting.
Do you know what student housing they rent? Is it u.of m. owned or is it private housing? There has been a lot of new private housing built in the last 2 years in dinkytown that looks very nice. Nice central location. Definitely would be something to look into.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry, I don't remember the details, but it was university housing, not private. I don't remember the name of the university either. But I have heard since that many schools do that.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I was born in Ft Lauderdale and grew up in CT, but moved back to Vero Beach area in my mid 20s where my father's family lives. I lasted 3 years, I was still unhitched and there is not a lot of night life, aka zero beach. But now in my mid 40s, with young kids and not being able to afford private school for all three, we will be staying up north during the school year with and eye to establishing a second place down in Florida. I like the Stuart area as it is close to West Palm amenities but still somewhat off the beaten track. Sarasota in southwest Florida used to be much less crowded, but every time I visit friends there I always feel like people are competing for the good restaurants. Naples is nice as well. The west coast tends to attract mid westerners and the east coast is more eastern seaboard big city types. I have heard about the villages, but Orlando is hot as can be in the summer. I also want to check out Sannubel as I have heard good things. The one thing I remember about Florida was being sad around the holidays, it just doesn't feel right, and the August September time of year can be brutally hot and humid. June and July though hot tended to be breezier on the coast. It just became stagnant late summer. April and May is beautiful though.
StuckinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the heat in the summer. The way we deal with it is to take a bike ride in the cool of the morning and hop into the pool in the heat of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
We have had a second home condo in Ft. Myers area for 12 years and have considered moving there full time more than once. So far, we like the 8 months in Midwest/4 months in FL lifestyle. I hear lots of warnings about the summer humidity and heat. As a thought, it is much cheaper to rent up north in the summers, than to rent in FL for the winter. I spoke to a recent Floridian about this and he told me they rent student housing at a Minn. University each summer to get away. About $1200 a month. They have access to all University amenities. Sounds very interesting.

Plus if you want to switch things up some British universities have the same kind of setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Well we did it. FIRE d and can't wait for the fun to begin. My wife RE 2 weeks ago and I RE yesterday. 55 and 56 yrs old. Moving to Tampa/St Pete area in 10 days. We are RE and starting a new life, New Location, New Friends, New Weather. Woo-Hoo!!
clslkock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #27

clslkock,
Congrats, you will love it down here. We are in Bradenton and the weather looks like partly cloudy and 81 degrees for Christmas day.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by clslkock View Post
Well we did it. FIRE d and can't wait for the fun to begin. My wife RE 2 weeks ago and I RE yesterday. 55 and 56 yrs old. Moving to Tampa/St Pete area in 10 days. We are RE and starting a new life, New Location, New Friends, New Weather. Woo-Hoo!!
Well congratulations, you will be very busy for several months getting settled into your new place; probably not even have time to think about you old work life!

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #29

Welcome to sunny Florida. I live just outside of Orlando, and go to Tampa and St. Pete often. I hope you enjoy warm weather.....

See ya on I-4......
Florida
Old 12-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #30

Florida

My mother lived in Boynton Beach, which is just south of West Palm Beach. The only reason I ever went to Florida was to visit her. She just passed away at the age of 102, and now I have no reason to got to Florida.
I live in Ventura County, California, "between Malibu and Santa Barbara". It is the best kept secret on the Central Coast. People are so busy driving between LA and Santa Barbara they zip right through.
On a slightly different subject, I am relatively new here, and am totally impressed by the wealth of information posted and the lack of snarkiness that populates many other forums.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:44 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement house in Cocoa Beach FL, never lived in it yet (currently rented out since 2013) but will start in the 2Q 2017 when we actually retire and return from two decades overseas!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #32

Check back in a month or two and let us know how you like Florida.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #33

Well we made it to Florida, No Thanks to Greek Moving and storage (A-holes)
who was suppose to move us but cancelled 2 days before the move. I had to rent a Penske truck (Thank You Penske) and move ourselves at the last minute.But other than that everything went good. We are settling in, and have gone to the beach already at St. Pete Beach. We are enjoying the cool but warm Jan. weather. Neighbors had a party and we were invited. yeah! Another week or two and we will be all settled in and ready to explore this state. yeah! Looking forward to exploring the state during the week, when normally I would have been at work. YEAH! I'm retired! 56 Love it.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #34

Well we made the move! We have been in Ruskin/Sun City Center area for over 4 months now, and are loving it. Retirement is the best. Time to polish the car, time to read a book, time to lay on the beach, is absolutely wonderful. I wish sometimes that we were closer to the Gulf Beaches. 35 minutes is not bad, I know. But wish it was 5 minutes. But where we are is close to hospitals, nursing homes, libraries and shopping. And no danger of hurricanes. So I'm happy. Becoming a resident was very easy. Drivers license, license plates, Residency for property taxes, all was a breeze. I was worried about having all the extra time on our hands. Well, I can tell you, I don't know how I had time for work all those years. The days fly by, being busy doing the things I want to do. Early Retirement is the best.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom lives in SCC. Nice area... we considered it... the only downside is we found we were running to Brandon constantly for movies, shopping, etc. as the local options are thin so we are under contract in Sarasota.

Next strawberry season be sure to check out Goodson Farms... their strawberry shortcake is delicious. Also, there is a quaint German restaurant in the strip mall that Home Depot is in that we enjoyed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #36

Sarasota is very Nice! We find it to be a bit congested. Good luck with your new place. When are you going to be moving in? Are you going to be full time? We have had the strawberries already, and have been for german food many times.
We live behind home depot on Cypress Creek golf course.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by clslkock View Post
. And no danger of hurricanes. So I'm happy. .

There is always a danger of hurricanes in Florida no matter where you live !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Florida is on my short list of places to permanently relocate to, once I retire. I do plan to rent first to make sure it's a good fit for me. My daughter is currently studying for a degree in geriatric nursing, so I thought Florida might be a good spot for her as well, once she finishes her degree program.

I'm hoping to find a community that's quite friendly and social. Since I've spent so much time working, I feel like I've missed out and have some catching up to do on tennis, hosting dinner parties, walking, hiking...the beach...so much! All suggestions appreciated!
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Let's hear from our Florida-based members!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's hear from our Florida-based members!

I would be interested in hearing from those who moved to Florida. How do you like it so far? What advice can you give to those who consider moving to Florida?
aza455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza455 View Post
I would be interested in hearing from those who moved to Florida. How do you like it so far? What advice can you give to those who consider moving to Florida?
Bring lots of sunblock, get used to flip flops, and leave most of your clothes behind when you move.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, re jan 2016