Join Early Retirement Today

Ready to jump ship
Old 02-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ready to jump ship

I'm almost 59, wife 57. No kids. Both past health problems that are not serious but scare the insurance underwriters. I'm ready to hang it up but health care costs scare me. I can get COBRA for 18 mos. at $700 a month but after that, I'll be stuck in the state high risk pool, which means poor coverage at a high premium. I'm thinking until working until I'm 60.5 so that I can get coverage through age 62 and use SS to pay premiums thereafter. We wouldn't need to SS to live on so I'm not worried about the haircut I'll take by opting for early benefits. Involuntary servitude for 2 plus years is not appealing but better than the stress of worrying about health care costs. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the subject to health care for people below 65. Thanks.
gozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ready to jump ship
Old 02-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzie
I'm almost 59, wife 57. No kids. Both past health problems that are not serious but scare the insurance underwriters. I'm ready to hang it up but health care costs scare me. I can get COBRA for 18 mos. at $700 a month but after that, I'll be stuck in the state high risk pool, which means poor coverage at a high premium. I'm thinking until working until I'm 60.5 so that I can get coverage through age 62 and use SS to pay premiums thereafter. We wouldn't need to SS to live on so I'm not worried about the haircut I'll take by opting for early benefits. Involuntary servitude for 2 plus years is not appealing but better than the stress of worrying about health care costs. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the subject to health care for people below 65. Thanks.
Gozzie, this is an often-discussed and complicated deal. If you want to get up to speed, click the search button at the top of the page and search for health insurance. You should get tons of threads.

Then, if you have specific questions, you'll get a more useful response generally speaking. Welcome to the board.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What state do you live in?

Have you worked with an agent? Are you sure you aren't insurable outside of the risk pool?

Have you considered a move to a more generous state in lieu of working a couple more years?

Tell us more, and welcome to the forum!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm ready to hang it up but health care costs scare me. I can get COBRA for 18 mos. at $700 a month but after that, I'll be stuck in the state high risk pool, which means poor coverage at a high premium.
Have you looked into a HIPAA guar. issue policy after COBRA?
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe
Have you looked into a HIPAA guar. issue policy after COBRA?
That is why I asked what state he lives in--some states have the risk pool be the HIPAA guaranteed issue policy, but some have other options.

To see what your options are, check your state's guide at www.healthinsuranceinfo.net.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm thinking until working until I'm 60.5 so that I can get coverage through age 62 and use SS to pay premiums thereafter. We wouldn't need to SS to live on so I'm not worried about the haircut I'll take by opting for early benefits. Involuntary servitude for 2 plus years is not appealing but better than the stress of worrying about health care costs. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the subject to health care for people below 65. Thanks.
You might also want to rethink when you start SS because depending on how your retirement is funded you may be able to produce more spendable income now if you delay SS til 70. There is an extensive thread on the topic over on the best of board. To give you an example of what I'm talking about see http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...6649#msg216649
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Gozzie, this is an often-discussed and complicated deal. If you want to get up to speed, click the search button at the top of the page and search for health insurance. You should get tons of threads.

Then, if you have specific questions, you'll get a more useful response generally speaking. Welcome to the board.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I appreciate all your comments. I'm from Missouri. I am not familiar with the HIPPA policy that one individual mentioned. My retirement is funded by my wife's and my assets. Our only supplement will be Social Security. From what I read on another posting, it seemed to be the consensus that most people would benefit from taking SS as early as possible. But, I obviously have a lot to consider before picking up the gold watch. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I read on another posting, it seemed to be the consensus that most people would benefit from taking SS as early as possible.
I'm not sure I would agree with their being a consensus on when to take SS. Too many variables and individual circumstances to apply any rule of thumb to this decision. If you didn't wade all the way through the when to take SS "thread from Hell' referenced above, I suggest you look at it again as well as use the search button to find some of the many other threads on the topic.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I appreciate all your comments. I'm from Missouri. I am not familiar with the HIPPA policy that one individual mentioned. My retirement is funded by my wife's and my assets. Our only supplement will be Social Security. From what I read on another posting, it seemed to be the consensus that most people would benefit from taking SS as early as possible. But, I obviously have a lot to consider before picking up the gold watch. Thanks again.
If you look at the insurance guide for Missouri at www.healthinsuranceinfo.net you will see that there are two possibilies for you if you are in fact unisurable. Because you are on COBRA, you should be HIPAA eligible. In Missouri, if you are HIPAA eligible insurance companies have to offer you a policy. I do not know if Missouri places any limites on the cost of these HIPAA eligible policies. If not, the rates could be unaffordable. The other option is the risk pool.

HIPAA is a federal law which requires states to provide some source of health insurance for people coming off of group plans. These are the HIPAA eligibility rules:

No matter where you live in the U.S., if you are federally eligible you are guaranteed the right to buy individual coverage of some kind with no pre-existing condition exclusion periods. To be federally eligible, you must meet all of the following:

´ You must have had 18 months of continuous creditable coverage, at least the last day of which was under a group health plan.

´ You also must have used up any COBRA or state continuation coverage for which you were eligible.

´ You must not be eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, or a group health plan.

´ You must not have health insurance. (Note, however, if you know your group coverage is about to end, you can apply for coverage for which you will be federally eligible.)

´ You must apply for health insurance for which you are federally eligible within 63 days of losing your prior coverage.

Federal eligibility ends when you enroll in an individual plan, because the last day of your continuous health coverage must have been in a group plan. You can become federally eligible again by maintaining continuous coverage and rejoining a group health plan.

The problem with HIPAA guarantees is that there is no rate regulation by the federal governmentand different states have different ways that they comply with HIPAA.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've heard that you can get health benefits if you work as little as 20 hours per week at StarBucks. Might not be a bad trade-off until Medicare kicks in.
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit
I've heard that you can get health benefits if you work as little as 20 hours per week at StarBucks. Might not be a bad trade-off until Medicare kicks in.
As little as 20 hours a week? Sounds like torture.