Join Early Retirement Today

Ready to toss my tools off the Narrows Bridge,
Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ready to toss my tools off the Narrows Bridge,

Well I might hang on to a few of them. Thought I would introduce myself sense I've been hanging around for months. I'm 61 and DW is 64. She retired last year and I'm planning on hanging it up at the end of this year. I'll be 62 in February so I figure I'll just limp along on unemployment as long as my union health care remains active. At 62 I'll start one of my two pensions and purchase health insurance through the union. I've been in the construction industry for 41 years and believe me the thrill is gone. No real questions at this time, just wanted to say hey before I start looking for advice. I'm pretty skilled at a lot of things but financial planning isn't one of them. I'm comfortable walking a steel beam 80 feet in the air but I think trying to build a spreadsheet would kill me. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum and especially to the moderators for running a tight ship. I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums and it's amazing how quickly they can spiral out of control.

Rob
tinner2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Wow, construction for 41 years, that's impressive!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sir, Would that be the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge? Im currently using a butter knife as a screw driver. I do have a slightly used allen key 1/16 in ( bought it last week.) I could use a few tools. If you do decide to throw them over that bridge Im referring to , they will land in a grave yard of guns used in many crimes. Hahahaha
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Sir, Would that be the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge? Im currently using a butter knife as a screw driver. I do have a slightly used allen key 1/16 in ( bought it last week.) I could use a few tools. If you do decide to throw them over that bridge Im referring to , they will land in a grave yard of guns used in many crimes. Hahahaha
No, sorry. That would be the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. A good butter knife is handy to have. Can be used as a screwdriver, knife, hammer, spreading spackle, mushing bugs.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner2u View Post
. . . I've been in the construction industry for 41 years and believe me the thrill is gone. . . . I'm pretty skilled at a lot of things but financial planning isn't one of them. I'm comfortable walking a steel beam 80 feet in the air but I think trying to build a spreadsheet would kill me.
Hey, there are lots of folks who can build spreadsheets here, fewer who know much about construction. While most of our construction questions are about residential stuff, it eventually covers everything. I look forward to hearing from you.

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum and especially to the moderators for running a tight ship. I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums and it's amazing how quickly they can spiral out of control.
We're lucky here--lots of people sharing what they know/think/believe for free and 99% of the time without rancor. And a great team of mods to keep us in line on the rare occasions when we hit a guardrail (or they rebuild the guardrail when we crash through it. Or they close the road when folks just can't seem to help themselves from crashing through the guardrail. )
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nice! Do it. lol
My tools are hanging in the rafters maybe should of tossed mine over the ledge. also. Lol

Good luck and wish you the best.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Part of my career I developed code that makes certain things about financial services work.

Eighty feet in the air and there's going to be a large mass of undefined material on the ground!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:30 AM   #8

Welcome. Be sure to let go of the tools when tossing them....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #9

Quote:
No, sorry. That would be the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. A good butter knife is handy to have. Can be used as a screwdriver, knife, hammer, spreading spackle, mushing bugs.
From what I've seen on YouTube, that bridge will toss them over the side for you.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm planning on hanging it up at the end of this year. I'll be 62 in February so I figure I'll just limp along on unemployment as long as my union health care remains active.
In your locale can you actually collect unemployment by retiring?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
In your locale can you actually collect unemployment by retiring?
No, I will not get unemployment after retirement. I will during the winter months when construction slows down around here. I can bank hours for my health care through the union so a few weeks of underemployment aren't so harmful.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
No, I will not get unemployment after retirement. I will during the winter months when construction slows down around here.
So, until February, right? (I don't think you can collect unemployment and a pension at the same time, can you?)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
So, until February, right? (I don't think you can collect unemployment and a pension at the same time, can you?)
Correct, no unemployment and pension at the same time. I believe you are eligible for unemployment after filing for retirement but haven't started receiving retirement checks, as long as your available to work. I'm likely to just go
ahead and retire in December, 2 months early reduces my checks by 29 dollars. Might be worth it to not work outdoors in another soggy NW winter. Hiking, fishing and motorcycling in the rain, now that's just fine.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome tinner--
Don't hesitate to ask any questions, you'll get a lot of good information here.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
No, sorry. That would be the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. .
Ah, the Tacoma Narrows - one of the most illustrative examples of the concept of resonance!

euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Ah, the Tacoma Narrows - one of the most illustrative examples of the concept of resonance!

Oh that Tacoma bridge! I saw that video on some science show. I wasnt around when that happened, if I was Id probably would have decided that day to take a stroll over it. If anyone here is contemplating throwing away tools, gold coins, silver bullion, priceless artworks and the like over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge PM me , Ill trade you my Allen key set that contains the seemingly rare 1/16 in . (To the original poster, that Allen key was part of a former post where no one seemed to have it, I managed to find it in the mom and pop store down the block from my home. So with my butter knife, the Allen key set makes up my entire tool set. I guess you could count the can of creamed corn I used for a hammer once.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm likely to just go
ahead and retire in December, 2 months early reduces my checks by 29 dollars. Might be worth it to not work outdoors in another soggy NW winter. Hiking, fishing and motorcycling in the rain, now that's just fine.
Sounds like a great plan. Enjoy!

If you decide you are ready for financial advice, ask away - you've come to the right forum.
(Although you do have to be ready to sort through the varied opinions.)