Really like this forum!

dlhanson

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been reading and occasionally posting for the last several years. Thanks to all the experience and knowledgeable poeple here I have learned much about finances, living in various places all over the world, health and much more.

We live in Upstate South Carolina where I have taught computer science at a conservative Christian university for the past 8 years. I was a petroleum engineer for a megacorp for 24 years before that. DW and I are both 57.

I turned in my resignation last October and it is effective at the end of the school year on May 9. I told the administration that I would be willing to come back for another year if they can't find a replacement for me (has to have at least a Masters degree and agree with the University's statement of faith and standards).

If I don't return to teaching, we have tentatively decided to move to Florida in the summer of 2010. DW has health problems some of which are helped by a warmer climate. We were in the Tampa area for two weeks at Christmas during the last two years. DW just plain perked up because fo the warm sun and looked much better by the time we left. She loves heat and humidy as she grew up in Malaysia.

Our house and cars are paid for and we have no other debt. Last year, we took about a 15% hit from peak on our IRA's but we at least twice what we needed so we are still fine. I started withdrawing from the IRA last year using the IRS 72(t) rules.

We are considering the Tampa Bay area, east and south of the city of Tampa, specifically Riverview and Sun City Central.

Sounds like a great plan. I wish I had twice what I needed!

Well, our desire for "stuff" has waned as we have aged. Since we drive used cars, and live in a paid for house, our needs are not all that great.

We can't wait to give some of our furniture, china, crystal and other stuff to our children. We never use them and moving them isn't worth looking at them.

DLH

You are WAYYYYyyy too young for SCC! Uncle used to live there. Nice, but look out for the golf carts on the main streets!

YMMV

DLH

You are WAYYYYyyy too young for SCC! Uncle used to live there. Nice, but look out for the golf carts on the main streets!

YMMV

SSC is really a nice place to live. People are very energetic, the place is maintained beautifully -

You should reconsider.

Back
Top Bottom