Join Early Retirement Today

Recently retired in Massachusetts
Old 07-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Recently retired in Massachusetts

Greetings from a recent retiree residing in MA. I'm slowly getting used to this new routine, having left the workforce at the end of February this year. I had a a successful career in management for a couple of large Boston law firms. I'm looking forward to making some new online friends and learning from the collective wisdom of those who have already spent some time on this next stage of the journey we call life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Welcome Bobw235. Feel free to ask questions, etc... We're a semi-friendly bunch. LOL.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Welcome Bobw235. Feel free to ask questions, etc... We're a semi-friendly bunch. LOL.
Thanks rodi. I was referred here by a member of the Senior Forums (where I'm an active participant), so I thought I'd check it out.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum from another retiree in MA.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome, lots of good financial info, but even more friendly, lifestyle discussion. Look forward to hearing more from you!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to a great site. I mostly lurk, from Easton Ma and this site is more than just finances, it also focuses on lifestyle both pre and after retiring, good luck on your retirement. I have been to Lowell and didn't love it but hope you do.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #8

Welcome Bob. Once I ER'ed, I left Boston for warm Florida - now I return in the summer for a weekend or so to visit old friends and enjoy downtown, the Harbor, etc.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, spent many years traveling to Chelmsford, Lowell, and New Hampshire. I think you will like the people here.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I graduated from UMass Lowell many moons ago, live in the southwest now, welcome to the forum.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome... good to see New Englanders.
Most of the folks speak a different language here, but you'll get used to it.

Friendly caution... no politics... You'll get used to it, but first time out, a bit different from what you've been used to. That said, this is a great place to learn about retirement from people who are already there, or have a sincere interest in having making the next 30 to 40 years the best of their lives.

FWIW, fond memories of some places where we usta live... Pawtucket, Barrington, Ayer, Chelsea (yeah, w*rked there), the Vineyard, Falmouth, Greenfield, and for a little while , Back Bay...

If you're comfortable with sharing some of your hopes and expectations, you'll find kindred spirits, and lots of opinions...

Think you'll like it here.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
Welcome to a great site. I mostly lurk, from Easton Ma and this site is more than just finances, it also focuses on lifestyle both pre and after retiring, good luck on your retirement. I have been to Lowell and didn't love it but hope you do.
Been here since 1983. A great decision in that we bought as our starter home and ended up staying, making improvements along the way. Good location and I know when I sell there should be no problem moving the house. Lowell has come a long way over the years.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Welcome... good to see New Englanders.
Most of the folks speak a different language here, but you'll get used to it.

Friendly caution... no politics... You'll get used to it, but first time out, a bit different from what you've been used to. That said, this is a great place to learn about retirement from people who are already there, or have a sincere interest in having making the next 30 to 40 years the best of their lives.

FWIW, fond memories of some places where we usta live... Pawtucket, Barrington, Ayer, Chelsea (yeah, w*rked there), the Vineyard, Falmouth, Greenfield, and for a little while , Back Bay...

If you're comfortable with sharing some of your hopes and expectations, you'll find kindred spirits, and lots of opinions...

Think you'll like it here.
Good advice. Thanks. I get plenty of the political discussions on the other forum. It will be good to stay away from them here.
Worked in Back Bay at the Pru the last several years. Don't miss the commute.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I graduated from UMass Lowell many moons ago, live in the southwest now, welcome to the forum.
I'm guessing you don't miss the cold, the snow and the humid summer weather.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #16

Welcome from another MA resident. Can't say much for the weather (except summer) or the COL but we do have many fine hospitals. Could come in handy later.

Also recently retired - Oct 2015, and still adjusting.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Welcome from another MA resident. Can't say much for the weather (except summer) or the COL but we do have many fine hospitals. Could come in handy later.

Also recently retired - Oct 2015, and still adjusting.
Thanks! We're starting to think about where we'd like to move, but probably won't happen for a year or two. I suspect we'll end up in the mid-Atlantic (VA or maybe MD) in the search for a milder winter climate. We love the Fall weather here, but winters just are getting to be too much and without a garage it's a pain when it snows.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobw235 View Post
Thanks! We're starting to think about where we'd like to move, but probably won't happen for a year or two. I suspect we'll end up in the mid-Atlantic (VA or maybe MD) in the search for a milder winter climate. We love the Fall weather here, but winters just are getting to be too much and without a garage it's a pain when it snows.
Last winter was nice
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
Last winter was nice
Absolutely, compared to what was probably the worst winter the year before! That was a horror show. Never pulled so much snow off my roof in all the years living here.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome - its a wicked good crowd here.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote