Join Early Retirement Today

RE'd
Old 10-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

RE'd

Hi group,
I 'retired' a few years back, in my 40's. I'm loving it, althought I have found that not having a 'central purpose' in my life (serious long term goals) bothers me occasionally. After a stressful but wonderful career with many long term goals, I have become a dabbler. I dabble in photography, travel, philosophy, investing, dirt biking, cooking, etc, etc.

Right after I left my company, I found this site. It saved me from using an financial advisor and helped me on the road to doing my own investing. For that, I am forever grateful.

Repairmanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: RE'd
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dabbling is my "central purpose." Apprentice of everything, master of none!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Maybe that's the key...I have to give up the idea that a central purpose should be 'long term'...... but somehow I can't.....quite.....yet

I do love dabbling, though, and having no central purpose only bothers me occasionally....

I just found out what you dabble in! Diapers! Congrats!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairmanjack
I just found out what you dabble in! Diapers! Congrats!
No, my daughter dabbles in her diapers.

But, yeah, the whole procreation thing has probably been the biggest education since retirement.

Since I left work, I've learned a bit more about investing, and what drives markets; carpentry; Tai Chi (too slow for me); improved my sailing chops; ocean kayaking; botany; biochemistry; brought my computer hardware knowledge more-or-less up to date after letting it atrophy for a few years; and now, I'm working on improving my RC helicopter flying skills (much more interesting than planes, I think), astronomy (got a new 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain), and I plan to improve my guitar chops and Mandarin fluency Any Day Now.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Apprentice of everything, master of none!
I prefer "a mile wide, an inch deep".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, wab. You sound like an excellent dabbler. I'm glad to meet another.

I must brag secondhandedly - I lived with a guy that created a jet engine (micro-turbojet engine) for RC planes. It was a very cool sound to have an RC plane fly by with a jet engine.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairmanjack
I must brag secondhandedly - I lived with a guy that created a jet engine (micro-turbojet engine) for RC planes. It was a very cool sound to have an RC plane fly by with a jet engine.
That highlights the one thing that baffles me about RC flying. How do you control something that flys faster than you can see, with no cockpit view? Helicopters are tricky, but at least they tend to stay in your field of view (the main trick seems to be keeping the rotors away from your knees).
Old 10-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

But, yeah, the whole procreation thing has probably been the biggest education since retirement.
thankfully, I figured it out long before retirement!!