Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Hi Ed,
I wasn't here for your swan song a few years ago, but congrats none the less.

When wiill the Gunrunner novel and study guide be available for Kindle?
(you may be aware that some of us here like to LBYM)

Best,
WS
Thanks much...I dig your avatar.

The only Kindle title I have right now is that "Battle of the Swine King" collection of short stories, etc. Right now the Kindle rights to "Heart for a Hero" are owned by its publisher, who has declined to publish in that medium (somewhat to my frustration.) I own the Kindle rights to "Gunrunner Moon" and the study guide, but I'm trying to switch publishers right now. (Too long a story to get into, but look at the Amazon sales ranking and you'll understand my motivation.)

Which is a long way of saying that a Kindle edition is still some months off.

That said, there's a PDF sample of them at:

http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/...hapter-One.pdf

and

http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/...hapter-One.pdf

And an interview here:

Interview with Ed Ditto | Homeschool Literature Reviews
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled View Post
Wow, man...20K posts now? Remember that JR guy from the old-school board? He of the nine million posts each one or two words long?
"Yup."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, man...20K posts now? Remember that JR guy from the old-school board? He of the nine million posts each one or two words long?
"I...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... do."

Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent!
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Ed, I'm new here and love to hear about those who have made this transition successfully. I'm curious about how a couple manages on a budget of $48,000 - allowing money to travel etc. We've got our house paid for and no debt but still I come out at least $10,000 more than that. I can see how you could get there but not with much travel etc.
Is this an appropriate place to ask about how that budget breaks down?
bikeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure; I don't mind. Random thoughts here, without resorting to Quicken.

First, reverse the math. $48K is cash withdrawal, and with no house payment or federal income taxes (because of capital gains realization timing), it's equivalent to something like an $80,000 salary.

We're avid do-it-yourselfers, so there's a large avoided-cost component to our disposable income. I haven't had to pay a repairman for anything in years, except for automotive maintenance that's beyond my capability. Every avoided $80 service call is extra fun money.

We grow a lot of our own food and do our own cooking. The grocery budget is something like $400 -- $500 a month.

We travel by car, stay with friends and relatives or in campgrounds or average utility-type hotels, and don't go in for resort-style accommodations.

We have simple tastes. Clothing -- I wear cargo shorts, and the wife wears jeans. While our electronics are up-to-date, we don't buy every latest and greatest thing. Our Xmas and birthday gifts lean towards practical.

No land line. Basic cell phone plans.

We stay in shape. Few medical bills, only one (cheap) prescription med, and only catastrophic medical coverage. Our health insurance premium is right around $380 a month for a family of three, with two of us over 40.

We live in a rural county in Appalachian Tennessee. Our property tax bill for ten acres of land with a 2100 square-foot house with a detached 2000-square foot combination garage/workshop/upstairs apartment is $1500 a year.

That's some of it -- the major things, I think. $4000 a month is eminently do-able.
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for laying this out. I can see some places that we can't cut as much as you have (We'll have to pay taxes on my husband's pension), some places that we've got it down as low as you have (we don't spend much on clothes and our grocery bill is similar), and some places where we may be choosing to spend a little more (we may eat out a little more because we enjoy it). This does help me to see a few places that we can cut more or where things simply won't cost as much once we are retired. For instance we'll probably drive more often for travel when we have more time.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
bikeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi, folks. GratefulEd here...a voice from way back. Old-timers might remember me from this post:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...one-17029.html
I'm quite happy to see you post an update! About 5.5 years ago I read your original "Done!" post and printed it out. I brought it home and showed it to my wife. I then kept it in my office, next to my computer, as a sort of constant reminder. Fast forward 5.5 years -- I'm still some time from our FIRE, but I've switched careers to one I truly love and I no longer need daily motivation to drag myself to work. I live abroad and spend my weekends on white sand beaches sipping fruity drinks with cocktail umbrellas. If I can't retire right away, I might as well enjoy the ride, right?

Your original post, though, still brings a smile to my face and helps me remember what really matters in life. Glad to hear you're doing well and staying the course!

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote