Retire at 55?

..has anyone out there convinced their employer to let them work part time?

Tried several times, but they would not go for it. Since I could not work under their rules, I decided to retire on mine :whistle:

"Working" on my 3rd year of retirement - life has never been better.

I turn 62 on the 22nd of this month. I have researched this and from where I am it cannot happen at 62. Health insurance is something I never dreamed would make me keep on working. For those who have affordable insurance you are lucky. I enjoy working some days:) and some I hate it:mad:. I do have the option next month though to say the heck with it:greetings10: if the higher ups tick me off. I have a small pension, SS and Cd's to make me through it that day comes. My home is paid for and all my old vehicles are also. I just hate to be in a rut thinking I have to work until I die. I may quit tomorrow:whistle:. I have only had two jobs in my life other than 4 years in the Air Force. I do not think anyone could ever 100 % prepare for retirement. :nonono::nonono:oldtrig

I turn 62 on the 22nd of this month. I have researched this and from where I am it cannot happen at 62. Health insurance is something I never dreamed would make me keep on working. For those who have affordable insurance you are lucky. I enjoy working some days:) and some I hate it:mad:. I do have the option next month though to say the heck with it:greetings10: if the higher ups tick me off. I have a small pension, SS and Cd's to make me through it that day comes. My home is paid for and all my old vehicles are also. I just hate to be in a rut thinking I have to work until I die. I may quit tomorrow:whistle:. I have only had two jobs in my life other than 4 years in the Air Force. I do not think anyone could ever 100 % prepare for retirement. :nonono::nonono:oldtrig

Well, you've got a point. For some reason I could foresee the health insurance problems, so I got a job offering lifetime medical coverage to retirees, but it never occurred to me that the real estate market would crash like it did. How could it? Or so I thought. Everybody has to live somewhere, so there will always be demand. I sure didn't see that one coming and I am so glad that I didn't get caught with a million dollar home in an area where prices went over a cliff. That was pure luck, and I feel so sorry for those who are stuck working to pay the mortgage on a big house that they can't sell.

Last edited:

Old Trig, 3 more years is not the rest of your life. Your Medicare will start Aug 1, 2012. Although Medicare is not nearly as cheap as some here are expecting, it's not bad at all. And it is way better and cheaper than whatever you may be able to buy in the the individual market. That will also enable you to delay your SS until full retirement age, which for you should be 8/22/2013.

Ha

ha ha, when I first read what you posted I said what the ? 2012 seemed light years away. I then found out this was 2009:whistle:. What happened to all those years ? 2012 did not sound right. I hope I can hang in the job for thee more years. Like I said, some days are great but it will probably be that way when I retire. I get to thinking about what I will do when that day comes. I play golf but 7 days a week ? I think not. I have thought about going back to my shop and working on small stuff maybe a half a day ? I am also a self taught computer tech. I have been doing this on the side for 12 years. The one problem with this is dealing with some people:mad: not all but a few make my blood pressure soar:(. Thanks for the encouragement. oldtrig

Back
Top Bottom