Retire at 60

My reluctance to sell the shares is due to the conviction that better days are still ahead for the stock. I do realize the risk though that it takes up such an outsized % of the portfolio.

The thing is, you might be right. The question you need to ask yourself is: is cisco going to outperform the rest of the market with equal or less risk? (and no one can tell you the answer to that).

I picture it you are betting on a race horse. You are pretty darn sure your horse can go faster than it is, and want to see that happen. But are you looking at all the other horses? Are they already going faster? Are they also going to go even faster if your horse finds he can? Might your horse pull up lame before the finish?

The beauty of index funds is you don't have to ask that question so much, as you have a bit of of a bet on all the horses.

I agree and appreciate all the opinions on the risk I am taking with Cisco, and I do intend to lighten up on the position. I'm just hoping for a better price, maybe with the year-end rally if it happens. About 25% of the position is in my IRA account. Maybe I will start with those. I have been building up a position in Transocean. I have 17000 shares and hope to add to it. From what I have read, the next upturn in the drilling cycle should be around the corner. Again, keeping my fingers crossed.

Man, I would not sleep at night if 40% of my investable assets were in one stock.
I am also a Cisco shareholder (much less than you) and think it’s a great company but for all we know there could be two kids in a garage working on a technology that would devastate Cisco. What if China blackballs Cisco? Etc. Who knows?

Follow-up to my post from 3 years ago. Still haven't pulled the trigger. My portfolio is now worth 3.8 million with annual dividend income of 98,000. Been travelling to Europe for about 3 times a year, each time spending about a month. Still suffering anxiety from not having my income from my full-time job with retirement. Pulling the trigger seems so difficult to do. Also afraid of boredom, even with travelling, once retired since I have no spouse or kids. If only I had the courage to say enough.

Follow-up to my post from 3 years ago. Still haven't pulled the trigger. My portfolio is now worth 3.8 million with annual dividend income of 98,000. Been travelling to Europe for about 3 times a year, each time spending about a month. Still suffering anxiety from not having my income from my full-time job with retirement. Pulling the trigger seems so difficult to do. Also afraid of boredom, even with travelling, once retired since I have no spouse or kids. If only I had the courage to say enough.

Go check out the thread of new hobbies in retirement.
If you are a frequent browser of this site, how many folks have stated that they are bored in retirement?
3.8m sounds like enough....

The OP has had plenty of advice on a number of issues. Diversification of portfolio, income in retirement and mortality. All point to the OP to making protective adjustments to the portfolio and living well in retirement. All advice so far ignored.

Only the OP can make a final decision but it seems the main issue is one of indecisiveness.

Live your life, no one knows when it ends. I can’t imagine that anyone, when on their deathbed wishes they had spent more time working.

The OP has had plenty of advice on a number of issues. Diversification of portfolio, income in retirement and mortality. All point to the OP to making protective adjustments to the portfolio and living well in retirement. All advice so far ignored.

Only the OP can make a final decision but it seems the main issue is one of indecisiveness.

Live your life, no one knows when it ends. I can’t imagine that anyone, when on their deathbed wishes they had spent more time working.

+1

I retired at 59. I worked in IT for 30 plus years. Had a very nice stash of 15, 17, and 23 dollar options. Started to cash at 43/44 as retirement approached and as I saw some clouds looming vis a vis the stock price. Last ones at 52/53 just prior to my retirement. Stock hit 54. It is in the mid teens today. At the time the so called 'experts' were advising to hold.....it would be a $75 stock. Right!

Sold our home, traveled for eight months. Then did a furnished apt downtown for three months. During that time the stock went down from a high of 54 to 18. I know a few colleagues who drank the kool-aid and rode down the escalator with the market. It impacted their retirement plans. Keep a sharp look out on insider option exercise/sales.

Did I leave some stock option money on the table? Perhaps. OTOH, I was not willing to place our retirement plans at risk. Looking back, I would do exactly the same thing all over again...exercising the stock, selling RSU's, to protect our future, and retiring when I did.

Two things about travel. We knew what the numbers we were still surprised at how much more cash flow we had after becoming homeless as it were. The only expense we had was a monthly storage charge for our container. Not to mention the investment income that our home equity was earning.

Second...extended travel may not cost as much as people think. We did not stay in resorts or five stars all the time. We mixed it up. Not to save money but more as a function of where we were. We had a condo for a month in Costa Rica. We stayed in some resorts, in b&B's, and in 2 stars up to six stars.

We still travel. Pre covid twice a year for two-three months at a time. Plus last minutes in between. Winter in Thailand is not expensive but the numbers average out when we add on a three or four weeks in Australia. Same for Europe. Some destinations are more expensive than others.

There are lots of ways to save on travel when one is doing extended trips. You become more savvy as you go...especially when you meet like minded folks along the way and trade travel tips and advice.

Our only regret....should have gone two or three years earlier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom