Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just be sure to leave a crystal clear will. I've heard of lots of misery caused by rich folks dying without a will.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to think we should leave our kids more. Even basic tract houses where we live cost seven figures these days. But lately I've been thinking there are lower cost of living places where one could build a self sufficient solar home like this:

Solar Decathlon: College students built a $250,000 solar-powered home - Business Insider

It wouldn't be that expensive to live with no mortgage, limited utility bills, and a house that made it easy to grow some of your own food.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I used to think we should leave our kids more. Even basic tract houses where we live cost seven figures these days. But lately I've been thinking there are lower cost of living places where one could build a self sufficient solar home like this:

Solar Decathlon: College students built a $250,000 solar-powered home - Business Insider

It wouldn't be that expensive to live with no mortgage, limited utility bills, and a house that made it easy to grow some of your own food.
But if they pursue careers in certain fields, they may have to live in expensive areas.

New graduates in Silicon Valley can get over 6-figure salaries. But still not enough for them to buy homes, at least not right away. Many of them spend the money on nice cars, because a 20% down payment on a small home that is around $1 million or more seems like a distant possibility.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I beg to differ. I plan and hope to leave money to my kids. My parents wanted to leave money to their kids (and did). My grandparents wanted to leave money to their kids (and did). All my friends and family are hoping and planning to leave money to their kids. I find it very atypical to plan otherwise. Not to say it is wrong, just that it is not what I find common among people I know.
You must have lived in a different society than I did growing up. My parents left about enough to buy a new car. That is just what was in their accounts when they passed. I paid for the late DW's father's funeral. Her mother is still alive and she may pass some money to her favorite grandkid, but I doubt that there will be anything for anyone else. When we lived in Virginia there were people we knew with inheritances, but no one here in Colorado. If my kids get an inheritance, it will just be a matter of the situation at the time. It seems quite likely to be the case right now.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
But if they pursue careers in certain fields, they may have to live in expensive areas.

New graduates in Silicon Valley can get over 6-figure salaries. But still not enough for them to buy homes, at least not right away. Many of them spend the money on nice cars, because a 20% down payment on a small home that is around $1 million or more seems like a distant possibility.
Our kids have pretty much figured out that there are six figure jobs in cities with cheaper housing and shorter commutes.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I make 280K and after tax it is about 170K. Out of this my expenses are around 80K and thanks to 401K and employer match I save about 100K.

Now I pay 3K for rent and if I move to a low cost of living area and from a 2 BR to a 1 BR and with no kid related expenses, the expenses will be around 60K.
firenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by masceratian View Post
I make 280K and after tax it is about 170K. Out of this my expenses are around 80K and thanks to 401K and employer match I save about 100K.

Now I pay 3K for rent and if I move to a low cost of living area and from a 2 BR to a 1 BR and with no kid related expenses, the expenses will be around 60K.
Good heavens! Warren Buffet's tax rate is less than 20% - fire your tax advisor pronto!
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Good heavens! Warren Buffet's tax rate is less than 20% - fire your tax advisor pronto!
Warren Buffet does not live in California.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'd wait for 10 years to pass by and then decide.

So much can happen that there is no sense in trying to plan it now as in both cases you need to work for the next 10 years.
Ditto. Also I had a compound interest curve showing my progress/projection on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of graph paper which I kept until it was old and tattered. Hindsight says I could never have predicted the shift in mental attitude/possibilities over time.

heh heh heh - some use compound interest tables.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Ditto. Also I had a compound interest curve showing my progress/projection on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of graph paper which I kept until it was old and tattered. Hindsight says I could never have predicted the shift in mental attitude/possibilities over time.

heh heh heh - some use compound interest tables.
Yeah my expectations changed over the time over the time I was planning retirement.

One of the first exercises I did was this service (forget the name but it was one made available to workers by my employer) which asked what percentage of your current salary you wanted to have for retirement.

I thought I was being too demanding when I put down 75%.

Of course the market rise changed my expectations over time and now my retirement annual spending has been 70-80% higher, despite it being less than 2% of my savings.

Also reading sites like this one changed expectations too. One of the first things I learned here was to not settle for buying annuities even if they made you feel "safe."
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #51

Leaving for kids is a noble idea but now I see it as an icing on the cake because:

1. I'll fund their college (a big chunk of it anyway)
2. I'll leave them my house, which might not be in an ideal location because I too plan to move from SoCal to a LCOLA area but hey that's for them to decide if they want to keep and live in or sell and use the money.

Beyond those things if I have anything left then great it's their's but I'm not working longer.

In my case I got nothing more than college expenses from my parents (I'm eternally grateful to them for that). After I graduated I never asked for a single penny and had to build my own dynasty (I use the word loosely) from scratch lol.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Warren Buffet does not live in California.
Warren Buffet also has only a tiny portion of his yearly income from salary, most comes from long term gains and dividends that are taxed at a lower rate than salary.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I beg to differ. I plan and hope to leave money to my kids. My parents wanted to leave money to their kids (and did). My grandparents wanted to leave money to their kids (and did). All my friends and family are hoping and planning to leave money to their kids. I find it very atypical to plan otherwise. Not to say it is wrong, just that it is not what I find common among people I know.

Well said. +++1
Retire early vs work to leave for kids
Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #54

Retire early vs work to leave for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
You must have lived in a different society than I did growing up. My parents left about enough to buy a new car. That is just what was in their accounts when they passed. I paid for the late DW's father's funeral. Her mother is still alive and she may pass some money to her favorite grandkid, but I doubt that there will be anything for anyone else. When we lived in Virginia there were people we knew with inheritances, but no one here in Colorado. If my kids get an inheritance, it will just be a matter of the situation at the time. It seems quite likely to be the case right now.

Not all folks have the wearwithall, but given that folks do, I agree that a desire to leave a legacy is pretty common, if not the norm in our circle and our economic class in general.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #55

What if 7 of the next 10 years are "down" years with negative returns? You cannot be happy now living 10+ years in the future.

Figure out how to be happy/content in the present. That is the key.

Set a reasonable asset allocation for your age, low cost index funds, diversified. See what happens and hope for the best.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #56

I retired at 58 (72 now) and working longer for legacy purposes never crossed my mind. I hope to leave my two daughters and three granddaughters a legacy. If I'm unable to, at least I'll go to the grave having given my daughters excellent educations for which they carried no debt, their first cars, help with first home down payments and a number of other financial and non-financial advantages.

There are a few things I won't do to increase the chances of a legacy (or of a larger one):

- invest more aggressively than I'm comfortable with to increase theoretical portfolio terminal balance.
- take any risks that could potentially decrease my wife's quality of life/comfort in her widowhood.
- live (either me, my wife or both of us) in substandard conditions in our old age to preserve the portfolio

That said, we live well within our means, don't spend lavishly and barring something like an extended nursing home stay, there should be a nice payday for each daughter when we're gone. But we scrimped for them (without any regrets) in our earlier years and, short of a dire emergency in their lives, don't plan to in our old age.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I retired at 58 (72 now) and working longer for legacy purposes never crossed my mind. I hope to leave my two daughters and three granddaughters a legacy. If I'm unable to, at least I'll go to the grave having given my daughters excellent educations for which they carried no debt, their first cars, help with first home down payments and a number of other financial and non-financial advantages.

There are a few things I won't do to increase the chances of a legacy (or of a larger one):

- invest more aggressively than I'm comfortable with to increase theoretical portfolio terminal balance.
- take any risks that could potentially decrease my wife's quality of life/comfort in her widowhood.
- live (either me, my wife or both of us) in substandard conditions in our old age to preserve the portfolio

That said, we live well within our means, don't spend lavishly and barring something like an extended nursing home stay, there should be a nice payday for each daughter when we're gone. But we scrimped for them (without any regrets) in our earlier years and, short of a dire emergency in their lives, don't plan to in our old age.
Well said- that's our plan too
Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 AM   #58

When we fly on a plane, the flight attendant explains use of the drop down oxygen mask during the safety speech. We are told to put on our mask first, before helping dependents use theirs....

Good financial advice, also.

Like many here, we seem to be increasing our NW without trying to. We live as we want, but still within our means. Apparently, the kids will do OK when we pass without any extra effort on our part.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote