Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on the excellent progress Hawkeye! I can understand the stress completely! I just left the MDW for a new assignment far away from the five sided puzzle palace. Although not in an easy job (are there any of those?), the stress level has declined markedly! I actually don't mind going into work anymore.
What is your target date in 2017? I'll be cheering yor progress from the sidelines!
HaloFIRE
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

$2.002M as of today
Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$2.002M as of today

Spreadsheet updated again, and with yesterday's market close, and including the equity on our house, we are now multi-millionaires! And just this past Monday, I received my retirement orders.

Every day, I hear someone ask "have you got a job yet?" or "have you started looking for a job yet?"

Last night I thought of a new job story to answer those questions..."I will be going into aviation financial consulting," which really means that I am looking for ways to fly around the world without spending much or any money at all. I'm thinking points and miles, and maybe some space-A flying.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for your service & job well done in preparing for your future! Congrats on your upcoming retirement & Best of luck to you in your travels
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:21 AM   #24
gone traveling

enjoy your retirement!
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #25

Good for you! Congratulations. Fair winds and following seas.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #26
Administrator

BZ, Hawkeye. Enjoy your retirement.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Impressive HawkEye! Up a million increase in 3 years! Awesome!

What is your date?
Officially retired today!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #28

Officially retired today!!!

First official day of retirement was today, although I severred a tendon and had surgery a week ago, so I spent the today mostly on the recliner, with a big aircast on the right ankle. No driving, minimal walking, and more medical appointments on the calendar. At least now there is plenty of time for them!

Updated my spreadsheet, and the numbers look good.....
$2.1m is the current portfolio, if you include about $365k in home equity. We sold the rental property last year.

So I am FIRE'd for now at 44 y/o, with numerous house projects waiting to be accomplished, of course once the ankle issue allows it. Find a follow-on job in a couple of months? Maybe....maybe not!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS, HawkeyeNFO! What a great announcement. I hope you have the best retirement ever.

Sorry to hear about your tendon injury, but thank goodness you will have all the time you need to recuperate properly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #30

Wow, congrats, I think all veterans should retire as millionaires, especially the combat ones.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
First official day of retirement was today, although I severred a tendon and had surgery a week ago, so I spent the today mostly on the recliner, with a big aircast on the right ankle. No driving, minimal walking, and more medical appointments on the calendar. At least now there is plenty of time for them!

$2.1m is the current portfolio, if you include about $365k in home equity. We sold the rental property last year.

So I am FIRE'd for now at 44 y/o, with numerous house projects waiting to be accomplished, of course once the ankle issue allows it. Find a follow-on job in a couple of months? Maybe....maybe not!
Now, I was just some dirty blue shirt, but us nukes are pretty good at math... so $2.1 at 3.5% is ~$70k/year plus officer retirement check with tricare for life.... so Work?? Only if you would do it for free at this point!

Enjoy it and congratulations on the retirement!
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Hawkeye!!

Today is my first day of retirement too. I'll miss the Army, but I'd miss retirement even more if I had stayed in another year!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #33

Congratulations, and thank you for your service! Get well soon.

Son #5 just got his wings (NFO too) and just transferred from Pensacola to Jacksonville where he will be stationed for a few months. He is starting SEREs in a few days, so there is a nervous wife and momma.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Congratulations, and thank you for your service! Get well soon.

Son #5 just got his wings (NFO too) and just transferred from Pensacola to Jacksonville where he will be stationed for a few months. He is starting SEREs in a few days, so there is a nervous wife and momma.
Oh SERE training...lots of fun there but nothing to be nervous about.

Congrats to the OP and good luck with the recovery!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #35

[QUOTE=ExFlyBoy5;1944579]Oh SERE training...lots of fun there but nothing to be nervous about.

Thank you!
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #36

Congrats brother! Two more for me... At 42 with the same numbers, hopefully! We will see if work calls to me or not!

Again - enjoy it, you've earned it!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congratulations! I FIRE'd just over 4 years ago at 44 years old as well. Retired Army officer...and my wife retired from the Army a couple of years ago, so life is great.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #38

From 3 years ago...
Quote:
Every day, I hear someone ask "have you got a job yet?" or "have you started looking for a job yet?"

Last night I thought of a new job story to answer those questions..."I will be going into aviation financial consulting," which really means that I am looking for ways to fly around the world without spending much or any money at all. I'm thinking points and miles, and maybe some space-A flying.
Guess what? I actually have a job doing aviation financial consulting for the Navy. Guess I failed at ER, so here is what happened, and an update on some numbers....

Retirement lasted about 6 months, and during that time, we made a decision to tear down our house and build a brand new one. The investment portfolio was up to nearly $1.9M in Jan 2018 (home equity not included), and then we started moving money around to set up the construction financing. To get the construction loan, I knew it would be easier if I had a job, so I started working in April 2018; a contractor job at the Pentagon sort of fell into my lap. I'm still there 2 years later.

After selling off some mutual funds in 2018 and 2019 to keep the mortgage manageable, and with the latest drop in the market, the portfolio is now a bit less than $1.7M, but we have a much larger amount of home equity and a brand new home in which to enjoy quarantine. Mortgage amount is roughly $120k more than before.

When we had the $1.9M investment portfolio back in 2018, we had acheived FI. I could have lived off of that and the military retirement pay, but sometimes you just need a new house. The old one had numerous problems and it was not much more $$$ to build new than it would have been to update the kitchen, put a small addition on, add a garage, etc.

So with about $450k spent to pay off old mortgage debt and cover some builder expenses, we still have a substantial amount owed on the current mortgage. About half of our monthly expenses is housing (not uncommon around Washington, DC).

Unfortunately, the increased home expenses mean that our FI number is higher than before. We need to add about $500k to the $1.7M portfolio, and then I will be FI (again).
Old 05-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #39

It's an ever moving target for us as well. I retired in January, but was employed in December (double dipped for a month!), and was recently RIFed from that job. Now "retired/unemployed" and kicking the tires on starting my own business. Not really sure what to do, but our FI number is an average market year over the horizon. If we avoid touching our savings (i.e. my wife gets to go back to her job), we'll keep right on truckin' and it won't matter one bit what I do. If not, well, contracting may be in the offing (barf!).

All that to say, plans change, do what makes you happy, even if it's tearing down and rebuilding a house!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
It's an ever moving target for us as well. I retired in January, but was employed in December (double dipped for a month!), and was recently RIFed from that job. Now "retired/unemployed" and kicking the tires on starting my own business. Not really sure what to do, but our FI number is an average market year over the horizon. If we avoid touching our savings (i.e. my wife gets to go back to her job), we'll keep right on truckin' and it won't matter one bit what I do. If not, well, contracting may be in the offing (barf!).

All that to say, plans change, do what makes you happy, even if it's tearing down and rebuilding a house!
Interesting to see these military retiree updates. To me there have always been two seperate aspects of FIRE. The FI part and of course the RE part. As my sig line states I have been FI since reaching my 20 in 2010. I took the uniform off three years later and have been contracting since. Took 8 months off in 2015 but went stir crazy, ie failed at RE. Tore down the 30 yr old modular to biuld a new house. Moved in there in April 2019 and went down to 32 hrs/wk. Got youngest back from grad school (Ireland) in May 2019 and have been padding the accounts since. Worked up a nice Power point for DW last month showing her that we can punch now. At 48 she would like to go until 50. COVID is letting me work from home and collecting a large pay check. No reason to quit right now. Working on upping my SCUBA qual to instructor and maybe working in Roatan. That is one of our potential RE locations. There is a group down there that specializes in SCUBA experiences for disabled vet's. I would love to help them out. We'll see.

Only one thing that I have set in stone regarding RE: I will never go in and sit in a cubicle daily again. If I can continue this easy money from home thing why give it up? So unofficially we are looking at late 2022 for full RE from 9-5. Will probably continue a combo of sports officiating and SCUBA instructor. So many choices when you are FI. Best of luck to all the retired military folks out there.

One more thing: Just closed a deal on a 68 Chevelle. 8K. Bought it with a buddy. Our little turn around project. A New Mexico car with no rust. After market 454 makes it pur. Paint is good. Maybe 1-3K in TLC then turn for nice profit. I'll start another thread in the appropriate area with pics. Already got an as is offer of 15K.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote