retire to Canada oops

terrymac

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi Guys n Gals I think I may have joined the wrong website.
I was looking for something to do with retiring to Canada.

Do the authorities in Canada allow people to immigrate anymore or has it been stopped altogether,if you are over 55 years old.

I was hoping to live in Victoria BC as it looks lovely,with a friendly
population. with about 350000CD and a monthly pension of 3500CD I thought I might have been able to get in the country and buy a house. If anyone can help on this subject I would be mighty grateful.

Hi Terry.

You can check out the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

It's much easier to immigrate to Canada if you already have family living here that can sponsor you or if you plan on working and have a degree. Unfortunately, you may be out of luck if you just want to retire here and take advantage of the weather (in Victoria at least) and healthcare :p

You are probably out of luck due to your age. The retirement visa program was abandoned many years ago. Canada needs skilled workers. The emphasis is on healthy, young, educated applicants that can contribute to the economy for many years. Once you are 50 or over, you will have a very tough time to get in. Retirees are only a drain on their social system. I got my Canadian PR a couple of years ago and at that time it was more difficult than now - still, it only took me 2hours to do fill out the application and less than 6 weeks to get the visa in the mail.

Vicky

vic said:
You are probably out of luck due to your age. The retirement visa program was abandoned many years ago. Canada needs skilled workers. The emphasis is on healthy, young, educated applicants that can contribute to the economy for many years. Once you are 50 or over, you will have a very tough time to get in.  Retirees are only a drain on their social system. I got my Canadian PR a couple of years ago and at that time it was more difficult than now - still, it only took me 2hours to do fill out the application and less than 6 weeks to get the visa in the mail.

Vicky
[/quote

I guess I lucked out again. They don't want me and I don't want to come. :)

JG

And another thing. There was a time in my life when I thought Canada
would be about the best place to end up my years. Irony?

JG

TH,

Can I still contribute to the fund that sends JG one-way to Sweden with a baguette and directions to the local bank?

I will throw in a few extra baguettes in case JG interprets a single baguette as excitement in your pocket.

Vicky

Absolutely! If we come up with enough, we can even send him first class and request filet mignon with chardonnay as a special meal!

terrymac said:
Hi Guys n Gals I think I may have joined the wrong website.
I was looking for something to do with retiring to Canada.

I was hoping to live in Victoria BC as it looks lovely,with a friendly
population.
If I were going to move to Canada, Victoria is the place. It's beautiful. But, it's too cold for me, and I have been there in January.

Eagle43 said:
If I were going to move to Canada, Victoria is the place. It's beautiful. But, it's too cold for me, and I have been there in January.
I think the high temp in Jan is well over in the 40s. It's mild in comparison to the temp in Minnesota. I guess it's all relative.

Spanky

Thank you to all who replied,and made me miserable. I would have thought that if you could buy a house outright,a car and bits for the house plus pay for your own healthcare you would have been ok. The weather does seem a little funny in USA and Canada here on Tyneside England we normally go sunbathing when its about -5 Centigrade. Might try the green card for USA as the wife is Irish,we may get in. Las Vegas here I come.

Hope to visit Canada August 2006 Gonna try Toronto to Vancouver by train with stops at various places for a few days.

Anyone got any good ideas asto what to visit other than the CNN tower and Niagra Falls,Yonge Street.

This looks like a really fun website.

Hope to visit Canada August 2006 Gonna try Toronto to Vancouver by train with stops at various places for a few days.

Anyone got any good ideas asto what to visit other than the CNN tower and Niagra Falls ..
We visited both places but had not planned for places to visit. We looked at the brochures and visited many gradens, shopping malls, museums. In Vancouver, we visited the acquerium at Stanley Park (?), a couple of rose gardens, the University of Vancouver, the batterly garden and flower garden at Victoria island. The food was excellent.

terrymac said:

Anyone got any good ideas asto what to visit other than the CNN tower and Niagra Falls,Yonge Street.

This looks like a really fun website.

Too bad you won't be in Calgary in July during the Calgary Stampede. Happens every year in July for 10 days....man, it's crazy and I grew up here so I should be used to it by now. They don't call it the "Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth" for nothing! Only 1 month to go before this year's Stampede kicks off...can't wait!

Victoria is beautiful. We took the ferry across from Port Angeles -- had the best time touring the island. The museum is a must see and also Butchart Gardens. Don't think this California girl would enjoy the Canadian winters!

Ginger said:
Victoria is beautiful. We took the ferry across from Port Angeles -- had the best time touring the island. The museum is a must see and also Butchart Gardens. Don't think this California girl would enjoy the Canadian winters!
Yes, those are the places to visit. The ferry ride is very relaxing and scenic. The winter is mild compared to that of Minneapolis, Minnesota in which we live.
Temperature in Victoria Island:
December: 5C/41F
January: 5C/41F
February: 7C/44F
March: 10C/50F

Minneapolis, MN:
January and February with an average daytime temperature of 25°F (-4°C). The average low temperature in winter is a crisp 5°F (-15°C)

Spanky

Have Funds said:
That's good, though, if you have a GE fridge......
During the winter in Minnesota, you really do not need a freezer - just store your meat in the garage.

I think that's what they meant. GE appliances have been getting abused around here lately.

In that Google search post dory36 had there were many links here from people who were searching for GE appliances, so the gripes have been registered.

Spanky said:
During the winter in Minnesota, you really do not need a freezer - just store your meat in the garage.

And if you go the bathroom on it everyday, it turns into lutafisk before spring.

I just came back from the weekend in Victoria. I love it there. And it has the best weather in Canada which, no, doesn't compare to California but is a helluva lot better than the US midwest or northeast. Lots happening culturally too.

But between British Columbia and Costa Rica for ER, I think I'll still pick Costa Rica.  Of course, being as I can't even PT work in Costa Rica at all, it really enforces the R in ER.

Back
Top Bottom