Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retired 60 year olds looking for good 55+ community in Florida
Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Retired 60 year olds looking for good 55+ community in Florida

My husband and I have been retired for 18 months and live in Indiana. Until I can tear myself away from the grandkids, we are doing the snowbird thing in Florida. Jan-March. So far have we have spent a couple of months in Naples (we have friends that live there). I don't particularly like it due to the high cost of food/drinks/golf. But the gulf makes up for it. Spent a couple months in the Villages. I fell in love with it, but my husband is on the fence. Also, we hit the "unusual" cold last season. We are looking for a community that has a variety of ages, activities, and reasonable fees. I know I am asking for the moon, but I have been on many, many websites, and without visiting, not wanting to rent. I am not against a community that has manufactured homes or double-wide trailers, but I would want recommendations. We spent some time in Sebring, but I didn't see many people our age. We like outdoor activities. Golf, biking, bocce, pickeball, etc. Any information would be appreciated.
mrsbusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbusto View Post
... We like outdoor activities. Golf, biking, bocce, pickeball, etc. Any information would be appreciated.
These sound like activities you would find in Colorado not Florida. Other than Jan-Mar, it is probably too humid to pursue vigorous outdoor activities.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

mrsbusto: Any particular reason for limiting your search to 55+ communities? Is it for safety? Cost? Just curious since you mentioned that you are seeking a place that offers a variety of ages. I would think that 55+ might restrict the variety of ages. How about gated communities in general? BTW - are Florida 55+ communities considered safer?
emi guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #4

We love Colorado and have been going there during the summer for a long time. I guess I got the idea of the the 55+ community because I thought it would provide me with the options for all these activities. No it isn't for safety reasons either. After going to the Villages, I liked the idea of all the activity choices. So, I am just looking for ideas on what to look for.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We love Colorado and have been going there during the summer for a long time. I guess I got the idea of the the 55+ community because I thought it would provide me with the options for all these activities. No it isn't for safety reasons either. After going to the Villages, I liked the idea of all the activity choices. So, I am just looking for ideas on what to look for.
In low or moderate income communities 55+ does tend to create a lower crime, lower disturbance environment.

ha
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just my thought, but there is no way in the world I would consider a double wide or mobile home anywhere in Florida with hurricanes...or Texas either.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #7

I agree. But where do we go. We prefer to be on the gulf side. So give me some areas that we can look at.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Just my thought, but there is no way in the world I would consider a double wide or mobile home anywhere in Florida with hurricanes...or Texas either.
What percentage of TX do you think is vulnerable to hurricanes?

Oh - wait - never mind. You could be hit by a hurricane anywhere in TX. Maybe Amarillo, maybe DFW, maybe El Paso - you never know!

Audrey
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
These sound like activities you would find in Colorado not Florida. Other than Jan-Mar, it is probably too humid to pursue vigorous outdoor activities.
Huh?

November, December, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, and May are awesome outdoor months for almost any activity. In our area, it rarely gets over 93 degrees even in the summer. Of course it gets hot and muggy in the summer but we adapt -- pools, earlier golf, air conditioning.

We are very happy here on the gulf coast all year around.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Huh?

November, December, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, and May are awesome outdoor months for almost any activity. In our area, it rarely gets over 93 degrees even in the summer. Of course it gets hot and muggy in the summer but we adapt -- pools, earlier golf, air conditioning.

We are very happy here on the gulf coast all year around.
Rich, as a PNW native I found drinking beer was sweaty work in Naples in March

DD
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Practice, practice, practice.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am not against a community that has manufactured homes or double-wide trailers, but I would want recommendations. We spent some time in Sebring, but I didn't see many people our age. We like outdoor activities. Golf, biking, bocce, pickeball, etc. Any information would be appreciated.
Does it have to be a planned community? I know a couple who've finished renovating a home in a very nice area of Tampa and would love to move back to Hawaii...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Does it have to be a planned community? I know a couple who've finished renovating a home in a very nice area of Tampa and would love to move back to Hawaii...
... and I know a great realtor who can make it all happen

Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Somewhat on subject:

Newsletter

"Money Rates" Web Site Identifies
10 Best and Worst States for Retirement

Over the years many publications and organizations have offered their list of the best places to retire. Each use somewhat different criteria to make their calls. From the Web site www.MoneyRates.com comes a list of the 10 best and the 10 worst states for retirement. The author, Richard Barrington, a CFA with 20 years experience in the financial industry, identifies the four major criteria he used in putting together the lists.
  • Economic factors: Cost of living in major metropolitan areas, unemployment and tax burden, MoneyRates.com rated the 50 states from best to worst according to economic conditions.
  • Climate: Americans tend to set the thermostat at around 68 degrees. So, MoneyRates.com used this as the standard, and rated states according to how far their monthly temperatures varied from 68 degrees.
  • Crime rate: Security is a particular concern for senior citizens, so violent and property crime rates were used to rank the safety of the state.
  • Life expectancy: States conducive to long lives are naturally well-suited for retirees.
For frequently updated data, such as unemployment, the most recently available monthly figures were used, whereas for other criteria that reflect longer-term trends, such as climate, more historical information was used.
The 10 worst states are: Nevada (the worst), Michigan, Alaska, South Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee, Ohio, North Carolina, Missouri, and Arkansas. For details on why these are the worst, go to: http://www.money-rates.com/news/10-worst-states-for-retirement.htm The 10 best states are: New Hampshire (the best), Hawaii, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, Virginia, Utah, Connecticut, Vermont, and Idaho. To understand why these are the best, go to: http://www.money-rates.com/news/10-best-states-for-retirement.htm
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

You can play golf or bike just about anywhere in Florida . You need to narrow down your search to an area you would like to live in . There are communities with activities everywhere in Florida but "The Villages " is the biggest and that is the only place I've heard of Pickleball . Do you want to be near a beach or is inland Florida okay for you ? How big of a town are you looking for ? What activities do you want the community to have ? If it's the non stop activity like "The Villages "you are limited . Most communities with clubhouses have some activities . Pools, a few clubs , tennis & shuffleboard . Run a search on active Florida retirement and you may find what you are looking for .Good Luck in your search !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
DD
yes I think tolerance for humidity is a relative thing! I find 70% unbearable...PNW resident too. Never gets above 60% except when pouring rain.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Climate: Americans tend to set the thermostat at around 68 degrees. So, MoneyRates.com used this as the standard, and rated states according to how far their monthly temperatures varied from 68 degrees.
Hunh?!?

People tend to have skin temperatures of 77 degrees, so why not use that standard?

Ice freezes at 32 degrees, which would make the "lower than" rankings pretty interesting...

Deadline journalism.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote