Retired at 52, out 5 years now

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I retired five years ago after 29 years in law enforcement. The retirement plan I'm under they stopped offering in 1978 when some fool accountant/actuary took a look at the numbers and fainted.

We have 100% COLAS! I don't think they "make those anymore".

Medical & prescription coverage for life for 30% of the premium (when working I paid 20%). That becomes secondary to Medicare at 65.

Zero debt, own the house, and a comfortable amount in savings/deferred compensation accounts. Not wealthy by a long shot but I'm pretty sure we'll never be eating Alpo.

First year was like being on vacation - moved to a less congested area, the panhandle of West Virginia. Then got bored, didn't want to commit to a job, helped a friend build an airplane. Started looking for a part-time job but nothing looked interesting - I am NOT working retail, did that in college and hated it. So I bought a boat and went fishing.

Congrats and welcome - I'm 52 and only out 1.5 years. I think you'll like the fishing here.

Walt34, congratulations on your ER. Your insurance is unheard of by today's standards and having your home paid off is a plus. Like Dex, I've been out only 1.5 years. I am now 56. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forums, Walt34. With your generous pension and retirement benefits, you've got it made. Stick around and enjoy the banter.

Hi all,

I'm 52 and am taking early retirement in just two weeks. I've done all the math and feel our plan is solid. After working for over 30 years, however, this is a rather daunting step to take. I'm glad to hear from some folks who took the plunge and are happy to have done so!

Welcome. I've got 18 months to go. Look forward to reading your experiences!

R

Congrats from here, too, hopefully I'll be following in those steps soon, looking forward to relaxing and practicing my guitar licks.

Back
Top Bottom