retired early; moved abroad; living on less than $500/month

What about bugs....ack...don't like big flying or crawly ones....

Thanks for sharing your experience!

What about bugs....ack...don't like big flying or crawly ones....

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Yep. tons of bugs. There are giant ones that fly into the walls and windows of the house at night until they basically, kill themselves.
Not many flies, but lots of tiny moths; zillions of them.
Ants are the biggie. Tons of ants that bite bite bite. But their bite isn't as bad as the bite of a black widow spider, however, which you have a lot of up there in Arizona, right:confused: Oh, and the ants build 'mounds' in your yard and you have to either poison it, or flood it, or douse it with boiling water. It's a constant battle. But there are millions of birds and millions more lizards that do a really great job of eating the tons of bugs. And yes, the lizards are crawly...
It's a vicious cycle... but it's all a part of the beauty of tropical nature. the big bugs eat the little bugs. lizards eat the bugs, and the bigger birds eat the lizards and snakes and frogs that eat the bugs. round and round and round...

Steps needed...

All you story is very inspiring. I am planning to retire in Costa Rica next year with my wife. I would love to hear more on what steps I need to take to make it happen. Your lifestyle in Costa Rica really appeals to us. Any recommendations on what to do and not to do will be really appreciated. I do speak Spanish, and my wife as well.

I would really love to hear more stories. Kind regards, Vlad

Hey Vlad; forgot to say, if you have specific questions, I'm happy to fill you in on anything that i know or have already experienced. I do know now of a few things that i definitely would have done differently to make the move/transition easier.
i.e. things I would have done while still in the States before coming down here permanently.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but experience is a valuable asset that I'm happy to share.
t

fascinating!

I studied Spanish in junior high school for 3 years...so I am definitely not fluent but somewhat conversational...just have a very limited vocabulary and I always tell people they must speak "muy despacio" or "una palabra a vez" and then often I can get the gist of what they are saying. I just need a lot more practice to be fluent.

What is the electrical supply there? 120V? Different plugs than US? What about the weather...can you describe the highs and lows of the seasons and how much rain?

Thanks!

Spent a week in CR in summer 2006.

Two memories:

The best weather I have ever experienced was at a coffee plantation a bit north of San Jose at altitude. Cool, breezy, beautiful views. (And coffee!)

We were staying in San Jose but had a free day, and I chose to go to Manuel Antonio State Park I think it was over on the west coast. I looked into transportation options and decided to not take a personal taxi but to take the bus and make an adventure out of it. I don't remember the exact cost but it was something crazy like $2 for the three hour bus ride. I napped and just enjoyed listening to the Spanish around me and immersed myself.

cool thread

Great to read this thread. Love CR. Love the La Fortuna area. Spend a bunch of time whitewater kayaking around that area 20 years ago. We used to sneak into the Tabacon Hot springs after a day on the river. The Rio Toro is one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever been on.
Purchased some land in Nicaragua in 2015 for a for a future early retirement with my wife once our kids go off to college. We are still a few years away. We were getting ready to start building in 2018 and pumped the breaks. Started building in Jan of 2020, covid hit we and decided to keep building. House is finished and just spent a month there. Love it. We will be back and forth 3-5 times per year until we make the move in a few years.
So many great places and people throughout Central America. Pure and happy living. Great internet, clean water, safe, stress-free and the natural foods. I lost 10 pounds after being there for a month. Drank lots of beer, but I credit it to the non processed foods and maybe some extra sweat coming from Colorado.

Pura Vida!

Back
Top Bottom