retired early; moved abroad; living on less than $500/month

happyhere

Dryer sheet aficionado
i left the US at 57; decided i could live on a small amount of savings until age 62. needed a new country to live in on future SS payments of $1500/mo. I sold all i had, came to Costa Rica... and it was/is the best decision i ever made.
i own a house, live in a rural area, garden all day... and spend less than $500 a month (including healthcare and utilities). And i hear it's even less expensive in some other countries; but i think this is paradise. ask me questions if you are curious...

i left the US at 57; decided i could live on a small amount of savings until age 62. needed a new country to live in on future SS payments of $1500/mo. I sold all i had, came to Costa Rica... and it was/is the best decision i ever made.
i own a house, live in a rural area, garden all day... and spend less than $500 a month (including healthcare and utilities). And i hear it's even less expensive in some other countries; but i think this is paradise. ask me questions if you are curious...

Hola. We've been hiding out in Atenas for almost two years. Have been much happier here with all the crap going on in the world. But Atenas prices are a lot closer to North American so not living quite a cheaply as you are.

How long have you been in Costs Rica and how’s your Spanish?

How long have you been in Costs Rica and how’s your Spanish?

Hello. i have been here 29 months. Spanish gets better with time... but Covid put the kabosh on friendly chats for awhile. I use Duolingo to learn some of my spanish more academically; but emersion is best.

Hola. We've been hiding out in Atenas for almost two years. Have been much happier here with all the crap going on in the world. But Atenas prices are a lot closer to North American so not living quite a cheaply as you are.

i hear it's really nice there... probably more civilized than up here.. i am an hour +/- north of San Ramon; near La Tigra. Basically, just a few hundred yards off the highway that goes from San Ramon up to La Fortuna. muy tranquillo.

i hear it's really nice there... probably more civilized than up here.. i am an hour +/- north of San Ramon; near La Tigra. Basically, just a few hundred yards off the highway that goes from San Ramon up to La Fortuna. muy tranquillo.

Cool. Short version, we sold house in the states to travel the world. Came to CR for 6-9 months, had friends in Atenas. Covid happened so we stayed. Taking Spanish classes and like you, obviously more difficult having conversations and practicing, especially with masks.

In some ways too many gringos. But in some ways makes it more comfortable. Hate the driving restrictions but gotta play by their rules.

Lease is up in October, owners in the states want to come back down. So starting to look for another house. Pickings are slim, lots of people hunkered down here.

Do you still keep your money in US based banks / investment brokers?
I want to leave the US for my retirement but I am not sure how to transfer all the assets (taxable, 401k, Roth 401k, tIRA, Roth IRA, 529 and HSA).

If you are doing it again, would you apply for the citizen status in Costa Rica or pensioner's VISA is sufficient?

Cool. Short version, we sold house in the states to travel the world. Came to CR for 6-9 months, had friends in Atenas. Covid happened so we stayed. Taking Spanish classes and like you, obviously more difficult having conversations and practicing, especially with masks.

In some ways too many gringos. But in some ways makes it more comfortable. Hate the driving restrictions but gotta play by their rules.

Lease is up in October, owners in the states want to come back down. So starting to look for another house. Pickings are slim, lots of people hunkered down here.

Travel the world!!! just do it! i hear Vietnam is worth the flight.

i do envy those of you in Atenas just a bit... you have cafes and such. but i find that living without any gringos makes my life here more like the lives of the locals... so i make do. i have one neighbor who lived in the US as a youth... so his english is excellent; but he's much younger than me (i am 59) and i enjoy my farmer friends who are closer to my age. perhaps i am learning country bumpkin Spanish?? but i really don't care.

i come from Philadephia and decided to go 'Car-less' here... great decision!! there are busses if needed, as well as taxis in the larger towns. i get to either Quesada (giant new walmart... cheap groceries) or San Ramon at least every 6 weeks or so. hitching a ride on a friends motorcycle is usually the easiest. I think i may learn to ride and get a license (my PA driver's license expired during covid... no big deal)

yes, Covid restrictions abound (less busses) ... but in my village we lived, for the most part, completely unaffected. most here Never wore masks; but i did so as not to be the stupid gringo. i actually already had my vaccine shots... surprised to get them so early.

Tons of properties 'for sale' up here... usually in the form of vacant lots (always available along the main roads); but houses are in short supply. It is so cheap and easy to build. i bought a small house on 3 lots; gutted & renovated it completely, including an addition, and did some landscaping via retaining walls; etc... creating a terraced lot (3 levels) All in, including furniture, fixtures, tile, etc... about $85k. 1/3 acre (it's enough!) since there's not much to do here, i spend very little. my 'rentista' residency status requires participation in the Caja (healthcare system)... i pay roughly $200/month (i had a lawyer in SRamon help me 'opt' out of the pension version). I own my property and the property taxes are less than $100/year.
no cable, but i have wifi.

[mod edit]

Good luck with your next moves...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for starting this thread. I love love to read about people who left the country and learning a new culture and language. I find this fascinating an in some ways liberating. I love travel and can’t wait for travel to open up again. Portugal is on the top of my list to live at least part of the year. Plan to visit Vietnam as well. Tell us more about how you’re adjusting to the culture and whether you’re missing the convenience of the US. Do stare clear of political commentary. This is shaping up to be a fascinating thread and the mods would shut it down pronto (zero tolerance for political commentary) if it gets political.

How is the safety factor? Are you concerned as being identified as a "rich" gringo and thus subject to potential issues?

Do you still keep your money in US based banks / investment brokers?
I want to leave the US for my retirement but I am not sure how to transfer all the assets (taxable, 401k, Roth 401k, tIRA, Roth IRA, 529 and HSA).

If you are doing it again, would you apply for the citizen status in Costa Rica or pensioner's VISA is sufficient?

hmmm... i do have an account in a US bank that my niece handles; so she can wire transfer anything if needed; and i can use it to pay my CC (american airlines miles) It has been handy for direct deposits up there... and i will continue to maintain it for SS deposits in the future. But, i transfered almost all of my money to Banco Nacional here in CR. I keep 2 accounts here... one in US $, and the other in Colones. i wait for good exchange rates to convert dollars into colones. I dissolved my retirement accounts as i believe i am getting more enjoyment out of the money now instead of waiting to use it when i am old; or dead!! i live on less than $500/month... and i own my house here... so expenses are minimal. i live rural, so there isn't much to spend it on anyway. there's no phone bill (u pay to recharge the minutes... i paid about $30 about 19 months ago... i still have minutes!!) and water and electric are minimal. wifi is about $30 a month. Food is cheap if you don't need american things like peanut butter, nutella, and such. learn to adapt.

Residency. i have 'rentista' status; which is for those that don't have business/income here; no guaranteed income from abroad; or are not already collecting retirement/pension income.
It requires a yearly deposit of $30k US in a costa rican bank account. Basically... it proves to the gov't here that you have access to $2500/month to live on... that goes for a single person or a family of four. i keep the $30k in the account and then withdraw it and 'redeposit' it back into the account once every year because you need a deposit receipt for $30k yearly in order to apply, at the beginning of year #3, for permanent residency. Once Permanent resident... you have NO income requirements. it'll be nice to access that cash next year to perhaps do some traveling to south America (never going to USA ever again!)
Visas, pre and probably post, Covid, are only good for 90 days... so you have to leave for 4-5 days and then come back. I would just take a quicky trip to Panama City or Bogota Colombia; or take a bus to the Nicaraguan border and turn around and come back. The border guys never looked to see how long i was there. once I came back the very next day after a nice evening in Granada.
Once my rentista residency application was 'officially' being processed... i didn't have to leave anymore. it took about 8-10 months for it to be processed and then approved. I used a good service to assist in that.

How is the safety factor? Are you concerned as being identified as a "rich" gringo and thus subject to potential issues?

Excellent question. This is always a factor when living in a developing country as someone from a wealthy country since the assumption always is that you are wealthy.

That's great, it sounds like you are really enjoying your life on a budget that would make the leanest of FIRE advocates happy. If you do not mind sharing, how did you pick your region to live?

When people say there are a lot of gringos, how severe is that? Like living in a tourist resort community?

OP - interesting and informative to hear about your living conditions and experiences in CR.
It does seem short sighted to burn your passport, as you would probably need it to visit other countries.

Thanks for starting this thread. I love love to read about people who left the country and learning a new culture and language. I find this fascinating an in some ways liberating. I love travel and can’t wait for travel to open up again. Portugal is on the top of my list to live at least part of the year. Plan to visit Vietnam as well. Tell us more about how you’re adjusting to the culture and whether you’re missing the convenience of the US. Do stare clear of political commentary. This is shaping up to be a fascinating thread and the mods would shut it down pronto (zero tolerance for political commentary) if it gets political.

I find the culture here to be, for the most part, subtly nuanced in terms of the differences. They all have phones and communicate via 'whatsapp'. There is cable tv, etc. But there's still a 'haves' and 'have-nots' thing here, as in most of the world... and the 'haves' hold their $$ close. Many people work for less than $3/hour US... and if they don't like the pay... there are tons who are willing to do it for less; as the country is full of somewhat desperate people who are here from Nicaragua looking for work and a better life. It's sad.

Otherwise, the culture seems a little 'machismo' to me... but I live rural so there aren't a lot of jobs for women outside the home. The job of running a house and caring for kids and such is more than full time here; these women are strong. I am sure it is different in the Capital, San Jose. But the men here in the agricultural area of western San Carlos seem to be the ones holding the cash. I can't quite figure it out; but it seems early 20th century USA ish.
Another thing that is strange is the commonality of adults living with their parents. i have very few friends between 20 and 35 that live independent of their parents. many multi-generational households. kind of nice.
Another cultural difference is 'timing'. Being late is normal; and a 'no-show' is common. They will show up 3 hours late, or even the next day.... no big deal. I really don't mind it anymore. relax.

The only US convenience that i 'miss' is the overwhelming availability of virtually any kind of FOOD that one can imagine. i came here from Philadelphia... no shortage of food options there. Especially ethnic foods. I would kill for a falafel, a bagel, a good Thai curry, or REAL pizza. but i didn't come here to eat. hahahahah!!
I honestly wish i could start over, and try another, larger, more distant country... like Peru, Argentina, or Paraguay (i hear its really wonderful); as Costa Rica is only a 3 hour flight from Miami; and is rather 'western' compared to other central american countries.
But, mother nature is over-the-top here... i hear howler monkeys most mornings as i live on the eastern flank of the Monte Verde rainforest reserve. I can stick a 'stick' in the garden and it will grow, something; and I am already harvesting pineapple that i planted. My property, like most, already had bananas, plantains, avocados, cas, oranges and limons. There was cacao and others... but i had to cut many of the fruit trees because they were old. The birds are insane, and i still get excited about toucans and macaws. i really am quite content.
what i don't miss most is all of the 'stuff' that i thought I needed back in the US... or the things that i had to pay for there... but don't even exist here.
There is virtually no homeowners insurance here. (there are no hurricanes or tornados, and most houses are concrete and steel, so no fire) No life insurance. Most don't have auto insurance; but they should. The healthcare is nationally managed... most pay around $25/month to be covered... I am not a citizen, so i have to pay $200... but still, a lot cheaper than US healthcare rates. There is no phone bill. You buy a an initial plan/carrier and pay a one-time fee. After that, you pay to 'recharge' your minutes... but it's like 2-3 dollars a month for most people. you can do it anywhere... like a grocery store. There is no mail; so no junk, no bills. you go to a store during the first 10 days of the month and pay water, electricity, cable/wifi, and healthcare. That's it. i have a nice house on 1/3 acre... about $75/year in property taxes.
The water is safe to drink and delicious... it comes from the mountains where it rains a lot. I can travel one hour north and swim in a 'hot' river... for free.

Travel the world!!! just do it! i hear Vietnam is worth the flight.

i do envy those of you in Atenas just a bit... you have cafes and such. but i find that living without any gringos makes my life here more like the lives of the locals... so i make do. i have one neighbor who lived in the US as a youth... so his english is excellent; but he's much younger than me (i am 59) and i enjoy my farmer friends who are closer to my age. perhaps i am learning country bumpkin Spanish?? but i really don't care.

Good luck with your next moves...

Obviously some choices are dictated by mi esposa...she has veto power and settles all tie votes. :)

Personally I could be a little more rustic and remote; she needs more choices in groceries, restaurants, housing etc.Bought a 10 year old Honda CRV I'm happy with. Put a scanner on it and couldn't find any mileage rollback.

Doing duolingo as well but also taking private classes twice a week outside on the rancho. I wear hearing aids so I read much better than I comprehend spoken.

We will travel again, that was always my dream. Wife is Greek, so we may try to end up over there at some point.

I am not a rich gringo. I came here to live on a limited budget because i didn't want to live in the US and have my money sucked from me. i don't exude 'rich gringo'...
Anyway... it is no more safe or unsafe here as it was/is in the US... except mass shootings don't exist here. I live rural, and all of my fellow villagers know me and me, them. I don't drive, i wear crappy clothes as i am always dirty from working in the garden, and my house is small and doesn't have 'american' amenities (AC, multiple bathrooms, garage, hot water, etc.)
i don't lock my doors during the day, and i don't have bars on my windows. My neighbors watch out for me as I do for them... the village only has 150 people; so it's really safe, even though there are a few bad apples.
i am sure it is far different in San Jose, the capital. I have been there... there are bars on all windows and doors; and security guards posted everywhere.

I find the culture here to be, for the most part, subtly nuanced in terms of the differences. They all have phones and communicate via 'whatsapp'. There is cable tv, etc. But there's still a 'haves' and 'have-nots' thing here, as in most of the world... and the 'haves' hold their $$ close. Many people work for less than $3/hour US... and if they don't like the pay... there are tons who are willing to do it for less; as the country is full of somewhat desperate people who are here from Nicaragua looking for work and a better life. It's sad.

Otherwise, the culture seems a little 'machismo' to me... but I live rural so there aren't a lot of jobs for women outside the home. The job of running a house and caring for kids and such is more than full time here; these women are strong. I am sure it is different in the Capital, San Jose. But the men here in the agricultural area of western San Carlos seem to be the ones holding the cash. I can't quite figure it out; but it seems early 20th century USA ish.

Another thing that is strange is the commonality of adults living with their parents. i have very few friends between 20 and 35 that live independent of their parents. many multi-generational households. kind of nice.

Another cultural difference is 'timing'. Being late is normal; and a 'no-show' is common. They will show up 3 hours late, or even the next day.... no big deal. I really don't mind it anymore. relax.

The only US convenience that i 'miss' is the overwhelming availability of virtually any kind of FOOD that one can imagine. i came here from Philadelphia... no shortage of food options there. Especially ethnic foods. I would kill for a falafel, a bagel, a good Thai curry, or REAL pizza. but i didn't come here to eat. hahahahah!!

I honestly wish i could start over, and try another, larger, more distant country... like Peru, Argentina, or Paraguay (i hear its really wonderful); as Costa Rica is only a 3 hour flight from Miami; and is rather 'western' compared to other central american countries.

But, mother nature is over-the-top here... i hear howler monkeys most mornings as i live on the eastern flank of the Monte Verde rainforest reserve. I can stick a 'stick' in the garden and it will grow, something; and I am already harvesting pineapple that i planted. My property, like most, already had bananas, plantains, avocados, cas, oranges and limons. There was cacao and others... but i had to cut many of the fruit trees because they were old. The birds are insane, and i still get excited about toucans and macaws. i really am quite content.

what i don't miss most is all of the 'stuff' that i thought I needed back in the US... or the things that i had to pay for there... but don't even exist here.

There is virtually no homeowners insurance here. (there are no hurricanes or tornados, and most houses are concrete and steel, so no fire) No life insurance. Most don't have auto insurance; but they should. The healthcare is nationally managed... most pay around $25/month to be covered... I am not a citizen, so i have to pay $200... but still, a lot cheaper than US healthcare rates. There is no phone bill. You buy a an initial plan/carrier and pay a one-time fee. After that, you pay to 'recharge' your minutes... but it's like 2-3 dollars a month for most people. you can do it anywhere... like a grocery store. There is no mail; so no junk, no bills. you go to a store during the first 10 days of the month and pay water, electricity, cable/wifi, and healthcare. That's it. i have a nice house on 1/3 acre... about $75/year in property taxes.

The water is safe to drink and delicious... it comes from the mountains where it rains a lot. I can travel one hour north and swim in a 'hot' river... for free.

Your description reminds me so much of the island I spent my childhood. It’s really a collective society where there really isn’t the ability to afford a materialistic or independent life like we have in more developed countries (one of the reasons aside from culture there are so many multi-generational household). It sounds like you’re single. It may be challenging to convince a partner (unless they don’t mind a simpler lifestyle) to go along. The simpler lifestyle sounds like bliss.

your username is indeed fitting. We have a friend with father that retired there and got him started. He seems happy when he spends time there. His father has passed but he goes back to visit his CR family.
Thank you for sharing.

That's great, it sounds like you are really enjoying your life on a budget that would make the leanest of FIRE advocates happy. If you do not mind sharing, how did you pick your region to live?

When people say there are a lot of gringos, how severe is that? Like living in a tourist resort community?

even if i wasn't on a budget, because i live in an agricultural area... there just isn't anything for a 59 year old to spend his money on. food.

when looking for a place to settle, i found a bunch of properties for sale on the internet, and then made appointments to see many of them in a mad, 8-day trip/search. i looked in the south but many of those locations seemed too remote and would require having a 4x4. i looked in Nicoya... the same. I liked the possibility of being in close proximity to the ocean; but I'm just not a beach guy. I looked at properties closer to popular tourist areas because i thought i would, perhaps, enjoy an occasional cappucino or good meal. But i found that the ex-pats living there were missing the emersion that i 'romantically' thought i wanted. So i finally saw some properties in the La Tigra and Valley Azul areas... i liked the agricultural setting, the fact that it 'seemed' more Tropical than San Jose, the fact that there was an immense mountain range separating the area from Guanacaste (Northwest) ... and, that the people here immediately seemed likeable. i looked at a house and they guy living there gave me info and phone numbers for 5-6 other properties that i would never have known existed; and they were all better, cheaper, and more of what i had in mind. i liked the fact that there was public transportation available; and, of course, a really nice climate (cool, sleepable nights, warm sultry days).

i am the only 'foreigner/gringo' in my village; but i know of others that are scattered across the region. There is no common bond or place for gathering... you may see each other by happenstance. i wanted it that way. if i wanted tropical and 'american'... i would have gone to Florida. I 'did' the american life for 57 years; it was time to try something new. Not everybody gets that chance.

OP - interesting and informative to hear about your living conditions and experiences in CR.
It does seem short sighted to burn your passport, as you would probably need it to visit other countries.

correct. when and if Covid finally blows over, i can go to the embassy and apply for a new one if i plan some travel. no big deal.

Imagine all the humans on this earth that don't have passports:confused::confused:? it really isn't that important to me. [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously some choices are dictated by mi esposa...she has veto power and settles all tie votes. :)

Personally I could be a little more rustic and remote; she needs more choices in groceries, restaurants, housing etc.Bought a 10 year old Honda CRV I'm happy with. Put a scanner on it and couldn't find any mileage rollback.

Doing duolingo as well but also taking private classes twice a week outside on the rancho. I wear hearing aids so I read much better than I comprehend spoken.

We will travel again, that was always my dream. Wife is Greek, so we may try to end up over there at some point.

Enjoy the future travels. I loved Greece; spent about 4 weeks on Crete. Very quiet and interesting... but that was long ago.

as for the 'gringo' question... i really don't know. i am almost never in contact with anyone here that is originally from North America. I see tourists stop at the local store occasionally, but i run as fast as i can.
There are areas with concentrations of expats and that's probably a comforting aspect of living abroad for many folks. Somebody to talk to, commiserate with, share experiences, etc. I wouldn't mind a few expats around here... but so far there's just me. i know of a few just north of here and they sort of co-op with the organic gardening and such. I could get into that. But i share with my neighbors and they with me.
who would say no to Tamales?, or Arroz con Leche??
I think that the beach areas are different. lots of younger expats who start businesses that cater to... tourists. not my thing... but glad they found their own niche. There's a sort of "that's for tourists only" thing here... and i feel bad that the Ticos feel unwelcome... but it's usually a money thing... some places are just priced out of their reach; and mine!

The wife and I are dreaming about retiring there not sure if full-time or part-time. How would one go about being able to save on income taxes over there. The wife and I will both have pensions and we both qualify for social security. If we had to drop citizenship from the US to Costa Rica to save on taxes would we still qualify for our social security that we contributed to. are there other ways to save money on taxes. Would you suggest becoming a full citizen there or just a partial type citizenship.

Back
Top Bottom