Join Early Retirement Today

Retired--Had Own Business--Miss Dabbling
Old 01-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired--Had Own Business--Miss Dabbling

I've had my own business for 30 years. Did appliance repair, heating/AC and garage door repair.

For the most part, I really enjoyed my work. Since retiring, I'd still like to dabble in it, but I don't think it's worth it and here's a few reasons:

1. All the licenses I need to purchase--City license, appliance license, AC contractor license and insurance.

2. Having to keep all the records and file a Sch C.

Honestly, by the time I take out expenses, the income will be next to $0.

So, even though it's something I enjoy and I could help out others, it's just not worth the hassle.

Hoping to get some feedback. Thank you.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe help family and friends on projects instead. Should get you at least free meals and beers, plus plenty of thanks.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I like fixing things too but not as talented as you. How about pursuing something like this:

housing maintenance, low-income seniors, nonprofit home improvement pr... - AARP

Harry
Raymond01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #4

Could you part time teach any of it at a tech school or community college? Would that be hands on and engaging enough?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Could you part time teach any of it at a tech school or community college? Would that be hands on and engaging enough?
Habitat for Humanity could probably put your skills to great use!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Habitat for Humanity could probably put your skills to great use!
I was thinking the same thing. Do a project here and there as you feel like it.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I contemplate this same thing often. I am also in a contracting business and wonder about working a little after I retire. I have done the same calculations that you have and it is hard to justify the licensing, insurance, continuing education etc. The only benefit that I can see is the tax breaks that you could get by owning a business.

Could you find a few reputable local businesses that do your kind of work and let them know that you wouldn't mind working a few hours/days here and there if they need you? We hire a couple of retired guys when we get in over our heads with to much to do. They like it, we like it, it works good for both of us. We just have an understanding that they are retired and only do this to get out a little and maybe make a few bucks. If its to hot, cold or to much work we don't ask them to do it. This option would get you away from the paperwork, billing, collecting, and all of the hassles of owning a business.

The other thing I think about is starting a home inspection business. It seems that so many of the local home inspectors have absolutely no real experience in the field. It would probably be easy to obtain a few accounts if you could share your résumé and make sure to let them know that you were a real service person who has a background and made your living working in the field. I don't know about the insurance requirements but I have asked several home inspectors what type of training is required and it sounds like after a couple weekend classes all of the sudden they are a certified home inspector. It doesn't seem like they have to work to hard. They walk around and look at things that they think need repairs then request that it be evaluated by someone who actually knows something. Perfect for a retired guy.

I am curious on how you got out of business. Did you sell your company or just decide to quit and take the phone off the hook then have an auction?
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

OP here. Thank you all for your comments.

Deadshort, my customer base was in Long Beach CA. I moved from there to Orange County ~15 years ago and did less and less work as the years went by.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote