Retired in 2017@42

Doppleganger

Confused about dryer sheets
As the subject says, it's been 7 yrs since I retired. Was a scary decision at the time, but I think it was the correct one. I live in CA, USA (specifically in the Bay Area) with my wife and two kids so it is not cheap at all. Worked so much that my health deteriorated. It took 20 years after college, but my wife and I were able to build our liquid net wealth from zero to about 2 million. House and cars fully paid off before retiring. Exercising and cooking at home a lot now.

I understand 2 million is very little FOR THIS AREA, but I've been able to live and invest off the money since 2017. My net worth has since doubled since I retired. I will be 50 soon, I have started shifting my taxable money from "growing my money" to "preserving it" (stocks/options -> Tbill/CD/bonds, IRA money still in growing mode). Grandparents on both wife and my side lived into their late 90's so need to make sure money last until at least 100.

Thinking ahead, biggest issue for me is fulltime nursing home costs. It's about $100K-$150K/yr I will need at the end of our lives. After speaking to an agent, long term healthcare insurance is off the table (estimate total lifetime premiums paid to be $500K-$1M based on family history and best age to start).

Long term healthcare insurance alt:
Since I no longer wish to grow my money as much, this would be the perfect time to buy joint life annuities and let it sit for decades before it starts paying out. Along with social security, I would only need to invest $200K in QLACs (QLAC because I need to live off my taxable money) with a payout starting at 80 yrs old. Wife loved the idea, but wasn't thrilled about taking social security at 70 and QLACs at 80 to make this work, so plan number 2. Take social security at 62 and then have four annuities payout at 65, 70, 75, 80. The four annuities cost $100K each (4*100K) so double initial $200K, but wife likes this a lot more. I don't really care as long as I get to the $150K/yr number, and if the avg cost shifts up, I'm allowed to shift the payout dates up to 5 years before the first payout (70, 75, 80, 85) and that should take it over $200K/yr in case I need it....IRMAA be damned.

Living off safe 5% returns:
Due to the highly public bank failures last year, Fidelity had one bank offer a FDIC insured 5-year CD at 5%. I used all my available taxable cash that day on Fidelity. I also invested 10% of my taxable net worth cash into government agency bonds that mature in 25 years. I bought them below par and had a 4.875% coupon, so overall about 5.1% at maturity. T-bills are 5.3-5.4% but they are too short term. Good for emergency cash only. Looking to lock down more 5% return in the 10-15 yr timeframe.

Future:
Next move will be starting my Roth conversions. In order to keep it in the tax bracket I want, I estimate it'll take my 11-12 years of conversions to get it all done. Next next move will be to sell the house and downsize after my youngest kid graduates high school. I haven't told my wife, but I plan to use about 1/4-1/3 of the home sale for travel/vacation over the next decade for the two of us before we get too old to enjoy it.

Sounds like a conservative plan. I haven't looked at treasuries on the 10-20yr until now & the 20 is ~4.58%, up from 4.2 just a couple of weeks ago.

We've been stocking up on an average of 5% and 5 years duration over the past year too. We live in TX so no state income tax to consider. Maybe we will get back to 5 again. My gut says no though.

The long term care is difficult for us too. We're going the way of self funding with SS & house sale & downsize to LCOL area (secondary). We have MIL in a memory care (dementia), shared home and 24/7 care (we like the service so far) & she's also getting hospice at the moment. Pretty reasonable for the amount of service (~$3500/mo) and she lives near us.

Maybe consider moving as an option (worst case)?

I'm no keen on annuities, even deferred annuities. First, you lose control of the $400k. Second, the benefits are not adjusted for inflation. Third, if you calculate the internal rates of return, you can do better on your own.

If you are going to invest in an annuity, delay SS. Delaying SS from 62 to 70 is effectively buying a COLA adjusted annuity. You pay a premium of your age 62 benefit monthly for 96 months. Then you get 77% higher monthly benefits for the rest of your life. If you are concerned about nursing home bills then you will live well past the break even point. Check out opensocialsecurity.com

Another approach would be to buy a TIPS ladder with the first rung maturing when the deferred annuity would start and providing inflation adjusted maturity proceeds to pay for nursing home bills, but you don't lose access to your money and can sell the TIPS if you need the cash. Once your money is in a deferred annuity you lose access to it. Check out tipsladder.com

Last edited:
I would still keep 50% of your Investible assets in an S&P 500 fund or similar...

I'm with pb4uski, and not a fan of annuities. At your age, you need to consider that a good portion of your savings has to match or outpace inflation. You need current income, and long term growth. This is classic asset allocation question, and what your risk tolerance is. I would pursue a long term care solution of pay with what you can at the time, and then use home equity as backup. Keep all of your savings invested per an AA that works for you and wife's risk tolerance. I suggest for your timeframe that at least 60% equities would be a safe target (I would go higher myself), use the 40% for living expenses and let the 60% grow; with occasional rebalancing to help replenish the income side as needed. You can exceed the classic overall 4% withdrawal rate on savings until you hit SS ages. The SS will offset your withdrawals at that time.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree annuities are not the best choice. We had put money into four annuities and are happy to be free of them finally. You don’t want your money tied up like that. I recommend keeping at least 60% in the stock market (I do 72% at age 67) and keep the rest in treasury/CD/bond ladders. We also keep enough short term fixed income to live for 3-5 years in case of a serious market downturn.

Welcome! At 49, now is the time to travel! Health issues can crop up at any time, starting around age 47. COVID and health issues have kept me and my wife from travelling from March of 2020 to the present (ages 54-58). I had dreams to travel and dive the world, and they're fading quickly. I agree with others, you need your investments to keep up with inflation; delay SS to 70 and ditch the annuities.

Finally, you need to have a talk with your wife and ensure you're on the same page with regards to the house sale and travel. Good luck!

Thanks for the comments. I understand everyone's thoughts on the annuity issue. I actually had the same hesitations, but I view it a little different now. To me, annuities are insurance and that's how I view them. Just another expense where you pay it once and be done with it.

My IRA accounts are still 100% stock. So my choice to get the QLAC was based on how long it would take me to recover the initial cost. I agree it's not for everyone and that you can do better investing it, but for me it serves a specific purpose.

Oh for the comment about building a TIPS ladder, I did build one last year as an experiment. I followed the guide on tipswatch was able to get secondary market TIPS with real world yields around 1.8-2.0%. Still on the fence if I want to add more to this experiment.

For now I have it set SS for 62 in my retirement models because when I set it for 70 everything always magically works. I also decrease the benefits by 27% since I don't turn 62 until 2037 and Congess hasn't done anything yet.

Welcome to the Forum.

We started buying LTCi at age 51. It should cover most of any stay in LTC for 3 to 4 years (I think mine is 4 and hers is 3). Total premiums started at about $2.5K/year and are now at about $4K/year (that's for both of us.)

So I wonder where you got the half million to one million dollar total premiums?

I'm not recommending LTCi - Looking back, I probably wouldn't do it again. BUT I'm just questioning the premiums you suggest.

One thing that DW and I look at is our Condo as X number of years in the nursing home if we need it. We figure it's currently worth at least 5 years for one person. Since you're in the Bay area, it's likely your home is worth a similar (or longer) equivalent. What do you do if one needs the LTC and the other doesn't? Maybe reverse mortgage or move to lower COL area or sell out and one person rent. Lots of options when you're sitting on million dollar property (?).

Best of luck! Check back often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom