Retired in upstate NY

dknighd

Recycles dryer sheets
I thought I'd introduce myself.

I retired in 2019 at 61, wife was 66. So, not really early retirees. But I still like reading and thinking about retiring. Basically a free hobby ;) And I might learn something new, or help somebody else. I like learning, and helping.

We agreed many years ago, before we got married, that our goal was to live a comfortable and happy life. So far, so good.

We have no interest in maximizing our spending, we just want to be comfortable, and make sure our kids will never have to support us financially.

Before I pulled the plug on my job I wanted to make sure we would "have enough" to be "comfortable enough" forever. Not an easy task! Especially, since for us, and probably many, it was more or less a once in a lifetime decision. Sort of like getting married.

I'm grateful we could make this decision and not be forced into it!

One thing I addressed is the concept that one can live cheaper than two. Unfortunately one of us will likely die before the other. Impossible to predict who that will be. By my estimates one of us will need about 3/4 of what we both needed to be comfortable. I planned so no matter the outcome, we'd be comfortable enough at least financially. I hope my plan works!

Then I/we estimated various numbers.
W: Just enough to live on. Includes things like cars, phones and internet.
X: Enough to be comfortable. Adds in some domestic travel, and hobbies.
Y: Wife's estimate of how much she thought we'd like to spend.
Z: My estimate of how much we'd like to spend.

Fortunately, W<X<Y<Z. Each one is about 10-15% bigger than the next smaller one. Getting my wife to come up with a number, independently from me, took a little persuasion, but it was important to me. Fortunately it was in between my numbers :)

In the years leading up to my retirement I started accumulating more stable value assets (in my case TIAA traditional in a GSRA account). In retrospect, financially this was a mistake, but it made me more comfortable, and remember comfort is the goal here. This was to essentially bridge us through till I claimed SS at 70.

I also opened up a Roth IRA, and designated Roth 403b, to get the 5 year clock ticking. I highly recommend doing this. It becomes your tax free emergency fund.

When we retired, wife claimed SS (at her FRA) and a small pension ($350/month - dual life). I also annuitized about 20% of our savings, again dual life. Everything will be taken dual life so when the smaller SS check goes away, the survivor will still have enough to be comfortable. I annuitized about 5% more of our savings this year. I might do another 5% if it is needed at 70.

The plan is I'll claim SS at 70. 5 more years. When I do my wife will get a spousal SS supplement. SS together with pension and annuities will provide enough to be comfortable. So that covers X. The annuities will slowly get eaten away by inflation, but we'll always be above W. And I read somewhere that spending goes down as you get older. When I'm required to take RMD, that will hopefully keep us at, or above, Y & Z. I ran various "can you retire" type of calculators, I'm 99% sure we'll have X forever, I'm 90% sure we'll have Y, I'm 80% we'll have Z. Good enough.

The big unknown is potential long term care costs. As long as we are both alive the plan is to take care of each other. Hiring help as needed. If we only take RMD, that will probably leave a balance in retirement accounts, so we could use that. And still have X. Then if needed we could take a reverse mortgage. I'm pretty sure we want to keep each other comfortable enough forever. I think we have enough. I do not think we'll need kids help. If we do not need expensive long term care, that will be the kids inheritance.

Sorry this was long winded. I'll post it anyway.

Welcome to the forum!

I too am not interested in maximizing spending, and like your goals of a comfortable and happy life.

Hope go hear more from you.

Glad you are here!!
Great introduction and I wish a great ER. We also are not interested in maximizing spending, but we don't hesitate to spend if we want or need something.

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like you have a well thought out plan.
Look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome from former Upstate folks. Grew up in the Catskills, DW from outside Schenectady. The whole point of live is to enjoy it...

Welcome! Sounds like you have done some solid planning and it's great to have the health and time to enjoy your retirement stress free now.

Welcome! Reverse mortgage is our last go to backup for LTC costs. It worked for my aunt. She was paying $3.5k per week for 24hr home care. When she passed away, her son inherited the proceeds from the sale of her house less what she received from the reverse mortgage plus interest and fees. It was still a big chunk of change that was tax free.

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have everything under control.

Welcome! Yet another person saying it looks like you have a well thought out plan.

We lived south of Utica for about 20 years starting in 1980. Both our kids were born in New Hartford.

Think upstate NY is a nice place if you like the outdoors and can tolerate the weather. We backpacked in the Adirondacks, played golf, fished, hunted, canoed, and enjoyed the food. Very many good memories from there.

Welcome! Yet another person saying it looks like you have a well thought out plan.

We lived south of Utica for about 20 years starting in 1980. Both our kids were born in New Hartford.

Think upstate NY is a nice place if you like the outdoors and can tolerate the weather. We backpacked in the Adirondacks, played golf, fished, hunted, canoed, and enjoyed the food. Very many good memories from there.
Spent my youth in Marcy NY. Went to college in NY and left due to no engineering jobs. Great place for outdoor activities.
Once asked what I considered Upstate. I replied anything north of Yonkers.....

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your retirement. It sounds like you and your wife thought through and executed a great plan. I like the idea of each spouse coming up with an average spending amount separately. That could be a great tool for discussions about retirement spending.

I’m not quite retired yet but I’m hopeful for a 4-6 year timetable before I finally call it quits. My goal will be to have enough saved to live a comfortable lifestyle.

We do plan to do a lot of RV traveling in the early years of retirement so I will probably plan for a little bit more spending on average early on. I’m sure we’ll both eventually tire of the traveling lifestyle and slow down which will theoretically lower those travel expenses eventually.

I haven’t spoken with my wife yet about it but I also am considering annuitizing some of our retirement savings. Sometimes I feel like our savings can generate enough income not to bother and other times I like the idea of the security of a known amount coming in each month. It may come down to what rates I can expect to get at the time.

At this point I am focused on continuing to save and hope for the best. Congratulations again and welcome!

You've covered all the bases, and perhaps most importantly you feel comfortable with your approach and lifestyle. Enjoy!

I like to think I've got it all figured out. But in the back of my mind I think I might be missing something. I guess only time will tell.

We do plan to do a lot of RV traveling in the early years of retirement so I will probably plan for a little bit more spending on average early on.

That was our plan. I had a dream about living on the road and following the weather.

I haven’t spoken with my wife yet about it !
You probably should. And allow those plans to change.

That was our plan. I had a dream about living on the road and following the weather.

It can be a blast... DW still working, but we have always loved camping. We upgraded to a toyhauler and take our bike along. Will be in NY for a couple weeks and looking forward to riding around the Catskills and Adirondacks.

Back
Top Bottom