Join Early Retirement Today

Retired since 2015, now 61 year old, happily married
Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired since 2015, now 61 year old, happily married

Did you catch that "happily married" bit I added there? Still happy, mostly because my Darling wife doesn't mind spending all day with me for the last four years.
I retired at 57. That's not that young, but I ran all the spreadsheet calculations and determined we could make it with the reduced pension from Boeing. Still, I included the spousal SS rules at the time (suspend and file). Of course the government stopped that right before we could use it.
So now we're just semi-old retired folks sitting and playing computer games (don't judge - it's my personal passion). We do travel, but I'm not sure I like it. I've thought about a travel vehicle, but...
We've thought of relocating to somewhere nicer than the Houston area (sorry, Houston, but forty years is more than enough for me). But, you know, you have friends and don't want to leave THEM even if you want to leave the place.
I can't think of anything else. Five children (blended family) and all have their challenges. Don't ask. I might tell you.
Thanks for having me. This looks like a nice place to hang out on occasion.
Stonewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome! Computer games are one of my passions as well.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

Hi and welcome. This forum is way more fun than computer games. DH plays every card game available. I'd rather read opinions and advice, there's plenty of that here. After 25 years of relocating (6 times) we came back to our home town. It's comfortable, affordable (except property taxes) and we like to be close enough to Chicago. I hope you enjoy the conversation/discussion here. It changes daily.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

Welcome, good to hear a positive take on staying home with one's spouse. So much negativity out there about that! Three years in and we get along at least was well as we ever did.

We talk a lot about moving, but we own the house, taxes are low-ish, and despite the never-ending repair and renovation work, we're comfortable here. We're trying to keep that option open, but frankly I don't see us making a move anytime soon.

Nothing wrong with that!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! We have been retired for 7 years and only occasionally want to kill each other).
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #7

Hey, believe it or not my wife and I get along too! So just work on doing some short trips. Get out and see the country. Plan a little but not a lot. Be spontaneous. Though it's great to be comfortable just hanging around on a daily basis, you're very young and now's the time. Might take away a bit of the need to move. However, I'd think about a permanent change of scenery too. Good luck
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Stonewalker. Not a computer game player, but do love reading and posting to this forum. This forum led to discovery of retirement calculators and the rest is history.

Nice style of posting Stonewalker. lol
Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum - glad to have you! I pass no judgement on what anyone chooses to do with their time after FIRE. We retired last Fall, and had big plans to save the world. We gave ourselves six months to just unwind, and have decided that we're pretty happy just doing whatever the h*ll we want to do, whenever we want to do it. I may take on an occasional short-term volunteer project as I see fit, but I've realized this life of leisure thing is pretty darned sweet.

Enjoy those games - wish I understood them! My kids were never very interested in teaching me, so I think I've missed the window. Or screen, so to speak.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Enjoy those games - wish I understood them! My kids were never very interested in teaching me, so I think I've missed the window. Or screen, so to speak.
Nonsense. You can still learn.

My husband taught me years ago. There's such a variety out there, from simple card games, puzzle games, to MMORPG. Give it a go!
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Stonewalker! My situation is kinda similar... I retired from Megacorp two years ago (age 57), reduced pension but more than enough. We haven't really traveled yet, DW is ill (the reason I retired early).

What computer games do you play?
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad it is no longer a stigma to say I'm a gamer.
I like the RPG games, though we played WoW for about twelve years - we did quit that one about a decade ago.
DW and I both like the building games, though I like the survival aspect better than she.
ARK was great. Played that a lot. Good replay value.
Fallout 76 - I was so excited about that one. Loved Fallout 4, though the building mechanism was clunky. FO76 ... put a lot of hours into it, but it just isn't what I was hoping. I covered a lot of that in my main blog, but I understand we don't promote that sort of link.
Right now I'm playing Subnautica, which is surprisingly good. It has one flaw, but perhaps that reflects a flaw in me. All weaponry is defensive and I cannot kill some of the annoying beasts. Still, there is a story-line and I'd like to finish that.
More than you wanted to know, huh?
Have a blessed day.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:42 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Bir48die - we do travel a bit. I have a blog for that also (Traveling Grouch - can I say that? Or should I delete that? I don't want to advertise.) which I started after a massive 19-day train trip across Canada by train. Ugh. We also went to Costa Rica lately for dental work. We quite like CR, having been there before for vacation.

We find it hard to do some of the travels, not being in great shape after all those years of being sedentary.

And, as some have said, we are comfortable. It's difficult to move out of one's comfort zone, isn't it?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:44 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

mistermike40 - Right now I'm playing Subnautica. My son is a diamond-level team player on Starcraft II and wants me to play coop games with him, but my reflexes aren't what they were thirty years ago when I played Emerald Mines on my Amiga. Still, I might do some practicing and see where I go on that one.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:47 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

True enough. Not that I'm promoting gaming - sort of like a crack seller pushing his products - but some of them are quite enjoyable. I've wondered why I like them so, and I think it is because I get a feeling of accomplishment when I achieve a game goal. Build a (virtual) dwelling or base and it looks good - well, that does make me feel happy.
Some of the games take some computer power, but that's another hobby of mine and I just upgraded my machine to handle Fallout 76 - which I don't recommend for casual gaming, btw.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:51 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

SumDay - A life of leisure. That's sums it up, doesn't it? I really enjoy retirement. Some people used to say "Won't you miss work?" Ha! I miss some of the people, but that's about it. "Every night is Friday night, and every day is Saturday." That's what a retired friend told me and he was right.

I gave myself a while to unwind too. That was four years ago, and I'm still doing it.

I was going to clean the garage after I retired. It's on my list...
Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the welcome. Everyone here seems very kind. I used to read a bit (I'm understating that.) My brother belongs to Kindle Unlimited, so he gets to read a lot of books for no additional fee.

I don't know how much posting I'll do here, but I'll check it in the mornings.

Just FYI, I don't just play games, but that is a lot of what I do. For instance, it's Wednesday, and I've a committed blog to post. I'd best get to it!

Have a blessed day.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Welcome! We have been retired for 7 years and only occasionally want to kill each other).

LOL! I think I snorted some of my coffee!