Retired to Florida!

SpartacusSchmartacus

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, have been here for quite some time now ... like 35 years, but the retiring part is new last year.
Did lots of things, short stint in Military, Building Contractor and owned other businesses. Eventually ended up (last 60 months working) in the check cashing business where we made money in dog years!
Always been a stock market disciple - took one of the first Investool courses way back when it was good and not a sales pitch for themselves.
Happily married, 600K house paid for, have way too much cash on hand, have about 1.5 M in a high dividend trading acct (makes 9-10%), have 200K in another acct where only options are traded BTW it's still up 120% in spite of the last few down days.
Will now look around at the site, hope to hear from ya. Have made every option trading mistake so just maybe it can help someone?

Welcome to our wonderful forum. Look forward to your posts.
I retired to Florida last year. Love it so far.

Welcome and congrats on your retirement. I spent many a year in FL! Enjoy not having income taxes and the beaches. I actually read a book on a options one beach trip in FL...was smart enough to know I wasn't smart enough to dip my toes...ha.ha. Again, welcome and enjoy retirement!

Snowbirded Illinois to Florida (Leesburg) from 1990 to 2014 and loved it. October to March. Decision to come back north to stay came after a long hot summer when we while looking for permanent home in FL. Being NewEnglanders at heart, we decided we liked the seasons too much to stay in the south.

Bought in our CCRC in Illinois in 2004 and continued to 6+6 'til we decided we didn't like the twice-a-year moves. Now totally happy and, because we don't have any travel responsibilities, and enjoy the four seasons without raking leaves and shoveling snow.

Fond memories. About 1/2 of our Florida friends who are still alive, are still there. The only thing I really miss, is body surfing at Daytona Beach. One son and DIL are retired in Sarasota at Lakewood Ranch/Del Webb. Looks very nice.

Enjoy!:)

Last edited:
Currently looking at real estate in New Smyrna Beach. Hoping to move and eventually retire there.
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Currently looking at real estate in New Smyrna Beach. Hoping to move and eventually retire there.
Congrats and welcome to the forum!
The Dude abides.
Unless you have people you know there you might want to expand the look? Being here 35 years or more we started in WPB area. But with any time off we explored every inch of FL to look for a retirement spot ... WPB not being idea for us. We found Sebastian area ideal and here is why:
Totally unspoiled beaches: thru the week - look N. then look S. and you might be the only soul on that particular stretch of beach.
We sent pictures to friends and they said "what's wrong, where is everybody?"
No paying for parking, no crowds, nice sand quality.
Protected water if you boat: The Indian river lagoon opens wide 2-3 miles across in spots and this is the only place along the Intracoastal sprinkled with sandy little islands to picnic on. Free boat launches.
Property prices are the lowest here cuz we are the farthest from a big city - no bedroom commuting workers.
If you are a party animal then don't - place is outright sleepy.

Last edited:
Hey Shok
St Augustine is by far our favorite place to visit - at least once usually twice a year. 10 years ago they started to talk about returning the Fort to original colors. I would volunteer to do that in a second ... are they still talking?

Hey Shok
St Augustine is by far our favorite place to visit - at least once usually twice a year. 10 years ago they started to talk about returning the Fort to original colors. I would volunteer to do that in a second ... are they still talking?

Honestly, I have not seen anything in the local rags here talking about it lately. We have lived here for 13 years and still like it. Beach is still undiscovered for the most part. Far enough away from JAX to still be convenient if you cannot get stuff locally. Not far enough from Daytona for my liking :) but it really is.

Hey Shok

We had a trip canceled, but are now going to St. Augustine at the end of Sept.
We have a few plans, but any tips in general?

We had a trip canceled, but are now going to St. Augustine at the end of Sept.
We have a few plans, but any tips in general?

Hopefully Shok will respond with better info. Stay close to the old city if possible. We stay at the St George Inn right on the N end where people walk up and down. It's a perfect walk with some good eating spots along the way.
Ride "get-on-get-off" trolley - do a lap to see where you want to go, takes around an hour (plus). Ripleys museum, Lightner museum, Flagler college was once a hotel, take a tour, Light house, A super gator farm that I thot was a tourist trap til we went. Course the Castillo is the reason for St Augustine and Matanzas is good too.

When we go back we are doing the zip lines above the gators for sure!

Hopefully Shok will respond with better info. Stay close to the old city if possible. We stay at the St George Inn right on the N end where people walk up and down. It's a perfect walk with some good eating spots along the way.
Ride "get-on-get-off" trolley - do a lap to see where you want to go, takes around an hour (plus). Ripleys museum, Lightner museum, Flagler college was once a hotel, take a tour, Light house, A super gator farm that I thot was a tourist trap til we went. Course the Castillo is the reason for St Augustine and Matanzas is good too.

I would probably choose a B&B within walking distance of everywhere. But that pretty much sums it up. There is a Trolly to the Beach also I think if it is still running. The city is very walkable, and the Trolly tour around it is a MUST.

Well, have been here for quite some time now ... like 35 years, but the retiring part is new last year.
Did lots of things, short stint in Military, Building Contractor and owned other businesses. Eventually ended up (last 60 months working) in the check cashing business where we made money in dog years!
Always been a stock market disciple - took one of the first Investool courses way back when it was good and not a sales pitch for themselves.
Happily married, 600K house paid for, have way too much cash on hand, have about 1.5 M in a high dividend trading acct (makes 9-10%), have 200K in another acct where only options are traded BTW it's still up 120% in spite of the last few down days.
Will now look around at the site, hope to hear from ya. Have made every option trading mistake so just maybe it can help someone?

Welcome Back! I too, took the Investools class about 15 years ago, then with Think or Swim Account and now that plus Tasty Trade. Probably have made as many options mistakes as you. I still have several more years to RE.

Thanks for the info. I know we will be south of your Inn. Very good suggestions. Love watching the gators, not sure we have the guts to zipline over them. :cool:

Welcome Back! I too, took the Investools class about 15 years ago, then with Think or Swim Account and now that plus Tasty Trade. Probably have made as many options mistakes as you. I still have several more years to RE.

Scary how similar we sound? Also have Tasty acct that is solely options. Not a genuine disciple of Tom really. Do a few bear call spreads ... did one on CMG that I'm sorry about but mostly buy way out in time, deep ITM calls (85-90 delta deep). Mostly the FANG stuff cuz that's where the money is. Once had 530 in the Tasty acct ... not bad for 7 months (started with 200) back down to 430 right now but you have to have the stomach for it.

Best part of "the tools" was their proprietary "industry" heat chart, man that was golden! Made me serious coin, did 44% one year, wish I did options then it would have been 300%

I have email buddies from around the country (ex-toolers) we bounce trade ideas off each other. I'll Send a PM

Back
Top Bottom