Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

retirement was painful
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

retirement was painful

Greetings,

I am new here, and although I was retired early, I am not the retired type, I was bored stiff having fished and golfed to the point of saturation, so I went back to work and started a few more businesses, which is my passion from day one. I guess I am just a workaholic, and old habits are hard to break. lol

Good luck to all, Mike
WarrantiesFurLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Mike, sounds like your at the wrong forum. (heh)
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

Hi Mike, and welcome aboard! It sounds like you'll bring a viewpoint we don't see a lot of, and that's always valuable. Thanks for joining.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantiesFurLess View Post
Greetings,

I am new here, and although I was retired early, I am not the retired type, I was bored stiff having fished and golfed to the point of saturation, so I went back to work and started a few more businesses, which is my passion from day one. I guess I am just a workaholic, and old habits are hard to break. lol

Good luck to all, Mike
There's nothing wrong with that. As long as you have the option to stop at any time, you're doing just fine.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #5

Mike,

I think the forum you are looking for is Workaholics-R-Us.

Welcome, IMO you will find this forum interesting.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are happier working than fishing or golfing i'd say go back to work as life is short and its more fun being happy than it is to be bored or sad.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! I'd love to hear more details about your turnabout.

I had envisioned retiring really young (early forties), but a short 3 month break following a near career ending injury changed my mind. I was simply bored to tears and realized how much I enjoyed working and interacting with people.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Retired bodies make for retired minds is what I find
Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Retired bodies make for retired minds is what I find

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Welcome! I'd love to hear more details about your turnabout.

I had envisioned retiring really young (early forties), but a short 3 month break following a near career ending injury changed my mind. I was simply bored to tears and realized how much I enjoyed working and interacting with people.
Interesting,

I thought I was the only one, in fact, those friends who have 9 to 5 jobs always wondered why I didn't retire when I sold my first business when I was much younger, so I guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks, and I don't mean strokes, like in heart attacks. lol

I haven't had a job in decades, so I guess we have different mind sets when it comes to retirement. Given most of my friends and associates still work at a job, they envy the thought of retirement more than the typical entrepreneur does. Being in my own business came from a hobbie, so I never looked at is like a job, even thought I worked long and hard hours, it was still a hobbie, so I guess that is why I will never retire until the man above retires me. lol

Nice to see others enjoy working like I do beyond retirement, but like I said, everyone is different, just nice to get a read the opinions of others. Especially when hit by recession and you cannot count on retirement pension income like in the old days. When companies are going belly up left and right like Bear Stearns, you have to look at retirement and see why there is no security any longer, no matter how big a company you worked for. Sure changed the minds of a few friends who were just layed off with nothing, so for those already retired, I wish my best.

Good luck to all, Mike
WarrantiesFurLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to have you posting - as many of us haven't made the move to ER. I find your situation very interesting - as I have a big fear of boredom/lack of social interaction when retiring. Keep posting if you don't mind.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantiesFurLess View Post
I thought I was the only one, in fact, those friends who have 9 to 5 jobs always wondered why I didn't retire when I sold my first business when I was much younger, so I guess it all comes down to different strokes for different folks, and I don't mean strokes, like in heart attacks. Good luck to all, Mike
You're by no means the only one, but there is definitely an 'all work is evil' contingent here. I've been blasted for aspiring to a second career at something I'd really like to do after I retire from MegaCorp OR for suggesting that some people actually like the work they do...but they're entitled to their POV as long as they allow others (a few haven't grasped the last part).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

try volunteer work. you can sign up, do a little, change your mind, take a few months off, whatever floats the boat. good stuff. everyone needs help, large or small.

welcome to the board.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You're by no means the only one, but there is definitely an 'all work is evil' contingent here. I've been blasted for aspiring to a second career at something I'd really like to do after I retire from MegaCorp OR for suggesting that some people actually like the work they do...but they're entitled to their POV as long as they allow others (a few haven't grasped the last part).
I don't object to work as much as I object to all the crap that's slung along with it. And the type of work some people have had to put up with surely is evil.

I also object to the paternalistic attitude of the financial (and still working) media assuring me that I'm going to be bored, unfulfilled, and a general millstone around the neck of society.

But as for praising the joys of work... well... I'm not sure which part of "Early Retirement" is associated with that lifestyle.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I may not have ERd if work was not work - in other words - it was enjoyable and provided me with the lifestyle I wanted. And I did have it easy in my previous position - 165K salary - TV/Internet in office; worked 9-5 mostly and had a staff that did the grunt work. But I had the money and youth to ER - the work and lifestyle it provided wasn't worth my staying.
So what would work look like that would keep me working?
Salary - 150K - 250K
Days/Wk - 4
Hours 9-5
Vacation 2 months (amybe 3)
Content - something that challenges my mind in a wide area interests with a good team of people
Failing that I'd rather be bored.
Also; another thing to consider is that there are phases to ER and while there are boring time. I think those times are pointing towards a need for development.

PS - There is nothing wrong with working if you want to now and will not regret it in the future for missiong something.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #14

I think both work and ER can be defined differently by different people. One reason I want to ER is so that I can "work" in my yard, and "work" on my hobbies. WFL is, in a sense ERd, because he hasn't had a "job" for decades, but he is still working at his hobby of building businesses.

I say, if thats what makes you happy, great. When my time to FIRE comes though, I will be doing other things, with less rigid scheduling, more freedom, and a lot more focus on health and fitness.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I also object to the paternalistic attitude of the financial (and still working) media assuring me that I'm going to be bored, unfulfilled, and a general millstone around the neck of society.
Perhaps this is a topic for another thread, but I've been wondering for a while: everyone around here loves their retirement, but the "experts," from psychology to finance, seem to all claim that retirement is a big mistake. Why the disconnect?
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome Mike!

It is much better to be able to retire early and work because you love it then it is to not be able to retire and work because you have to.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
Perhaps this is a topic for another thread, but I've been wondering for a while: everyone around here loves their retirement, but the "experts," from psychology to finance, seem to all claim that retirement is a big mistake. Why the disconnect?
Maybe because most of the people here are by definition happy with retirement or they wouldn't be enamored with an Early Retirement website? Those who are happier working are, well, mostly busy working and not on this forum. There's nothing wrong with either camp, although there are some militants (some here even, can you imagine?) who can't accept another POV. Flame away...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Mike

ER isn't for everyone. Some people love their jobs. Some just need something to do. You've got to go with whats right for you.

The ones I feel sorry for are those that hate their jobs(me for the next seven months), but can't afford to quit.

I have no idea what will happen when I ER. If I'm bored, at least I can afford to look for something that I will enjoy rather than having to do something I hate.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
try volunteer work. you can sign up, do a little, change your mind, take a few months off, whatever floats the boat. good stuff. everyone needs help, large or small.
Volunteer work has been an essential part of my ER. Here's what I like about volunteering:
- I get to do something I enjoy (in my case, doing adult literacy tutoring and also - in a separate venue - helping older military veterans.)
- I get to set my own hours. I tell them how much time I'm willing to put in; they appreciate what I do and have learned not to push me to do more. I volunteer Sept - May but take the summer off. (I hike, paddle and work on my yard June - Aug.) They understand that.
- Because of the work I've done, I'm well respected in the organizations in which I volunteer.
- I don't have to go to staff meetings! Because I've worked up credibility where I volunteer, I've been offered the "opportunity" to attend staff meetings. (They think I'm one of them.) My answer is always the same: "Thank you very much but, being retired, I dont do staff meetings any more."
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to do what ever makes you happy. You are happy working I was not I love being retired I checked my ambition at the door to retirement and walked out without it.

Life is great for both of us.

Kitty