Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
An individual can't collect two US SS checks. but they can collect checks from two different countries if they have paid into two systems.
Yes, but does not apply to drumgal.

If you get a pension from another country, it does mean WEP rules apply, so SS could be reduced by up to 1/2 of the other country benefit (if it's an earned benefit).
If you get a pension by simply having been a citizen of a foreign country then WEP does not apply.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drumgal,

I suggest you go back through this thread and make a detailed list of questions and uncertainties you have for your SS meeting. It would be very helpful if you have your ex's SS number.

The deeming may not apply if he has passed away.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #143
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
This makes your rash, impulsive decision to suddenly quit, less attractive.
Drumgal- Don't take some of the very harsh statements to heart. I THINK some may just be trying to get you to think outside of a perhaps "clouded by a terrible boss/situation" and review.

If not, like someone else said, its up to you how you organize the feedback, and which you throw out!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Drumgal, I feel a connection, a very positive one. I needed to "get out" of a County job back in 2006. I had 23 years in, but alas I was only 50. I looked at the numbers as "getting" 35% of full pension, while the naysayers on this thread would say I took a 65% hit. Still my calc was based on would it be enough to pay the bills? Yep. Obviously SS was not even a consideration for me then, someday it will be a nice raise.

I am also a musician, though not nearly as successful as you, and you are going to laugh, we just recently had to fire the drummer! But I bet I have more axes then you have sticks, lol, so I'm doing just fine. And that's what 11 years later now.

The key is if 100 percent with all the deductions paid the bills, including the mortage, why can't 75% with much less deductions, like not paying into retirement, FICA etc still pay the bills, leaving your PT job to fill in any gaps, and the gigs to pay for the broken drum sticks you throw to the crowd!

It sounds to me you are already In Like Flint, day one. Ditch the Boss. Pass Go. Collect your $200 and enjoy your well deserved retirement. I am. I so wish you would join our band...
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

I say stay til 20 year mark using some of that vacay if you need to stay sane - and begin focusing on leaving with grace and not burning bridges. Obviously that is not a great option w crazy boss but just be as professional as you can and laugh your way to an early retirement!
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
Drumgal, I feel a connection, a very positive one. I needed to "get out" of a County job back in 2006. I had 23 years in, but alas I was only 50. I looked at the numbers as "getting" 35% of full pension, while the naysayers on this thread would say I took a 65% hit. Still my calc was based on would it be enough to pay the bills? Yep. Obviously SS was not even a consideration for me then, someday it will be a nice raise.

I am also a musician, though not nearly as successful as you, and you are going to laugh, we just recently had to fire the drummer! But I bet I have more axes then you have sticks, lol, so I'm doing just fine. And that's what 11 years later now.

The key is if 100 percent with all the deductions paid the bills, including the mortage, why can't 75% with much less deductions, like not paying into retirement, FICA etc still pay the bills, leaving your PT job to fill in any gaps, and the gigs to pay for the broken drum sticks you throw to the crowd!

It sounds to me you are already In Like Flint, day one. Ditch the Boss. Pass Go. Collect your $200 and enjoy your well deserved retirement. I am. I so wish you would join our band...
Does your 35% pension also give you medical insurance?
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm excited for you. Who knew there was so much drama at the library?

You know, in my area we have a big golf tournament (the masters). Lots of people rent their homes out for the week for thousands of dollars, larger homes in the 10-20k mark. It is not taxable because rent is less than 2 weeks of the year so it would not affect your ss benefit etc.

Maybe there is not a major sporting event in your area requiring short term rentals but my point is there are opportunities to make money that you might not have thought of yet that would help with incidentals like auto repair/replacement, home repairs etc...

Can you give music lessons? That might be fun. I am sure all kinds of opportunities will arise when you are free.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #148
Gone but not forgotten

For your SS meeting you need your exes SS number ,his birth date , the date of your marriage and the date of your divorce and information on any other spouses either of you have had .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Does your 35% pension also give you medical insurance?
No.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #150

Quote:
No.
What do you do now for it?

The cost of medical insurance along with NJ's rising property taxes concern me.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Broadway - I can't fix your property tax, we are well under $2k/yr in Central CA. As to Health Insurance, well as long as the ACA survives its been just about tailor made for low income retirees. Kaiser Silver plan. Good Coverage. Recent built every service operation center in my little burg. They mail the drugs to your door. My current fear is Medicare in 4 years will be a cost increase, lol.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #152

Quote:
Broadway - I can't fix your property tax, we are well under $2k/yr in Central CA. As to Health Insurance, well as long as the ACA survives its been just about tailor made for low income retirees. Kaiser Silver plan. Good Coverage. Recent built every service operation center in my little burg. They mail the drugs to your door. My current fear is Medicare in 4 years will be a cost increase, lol.
I doubt ACA isn't going to survive. I have been using it for the past 3 now going on 4 years.

With the way some in DC are talking, I am not even sure Medicare is going to survive in its present form at least by the time I am eligible.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes, but does not apply to drumgal.

If you get a pension from another country, it does mean WEP rules apply, so SS could be reduced by up to 1/2 of the other country benefit (if it's an earned benefit).
If you get a pension by simply having been a citizen of a foreign country then WEP does not apply.
Yes, WEP is also avoided if you have 30 years of FICA payments or if you made voluntary contributions to a foreign SS system.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yes, WEP is also avoided if you have 30 years of FICA payments or if you made voluntary contributions to a foreign SS system.

A little clarification...one needs 30 years of "substantial earnings" to avoid WEP. My DH has four years of part-time work paying FICA that don't count as substantial earnings in his WEP calculation.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
A little clarification...one needs 30 years of "substantial earnings" to avoid WEP. My DH has four years of part-time work paying FICA that don't count as substantial earnings in his WEP calculation.
And right now, "substantial earnings" 2016 was $22,050 so that pretty much cuts out retirement part-time work unless it's really well paid.

The good news is, it still increases the SS by a small amount.

(ps - I think WEP is unfair, as I worked non-SS and earned a pension, then worked 15 yrs eligible for SS , but SS uses WEP to reduce the earned for pension. Exactly like how other pension receiving folks claim nobody should touch their pension. )
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

I am getting hurt by WEP too because I have 15 years of work with a state that did not pay in and the rest of my time in private.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post

But there is some proration between 20 and 30 years, which helps a bit.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thank you Jonny M! I feel like you GET it! I was looking for a way to delete all my posts here, until I found yours! LOL!!! I have calculated again and again...YES my bills will be covered, including the mortgage. I will have money coming in, but NO BAD BOSS to make my life a living hell AND I will be able to do just what I love for the first time ever. Damn right that's worth something!!!

I wish you luck finding a drummer! Too bad I don't live closer!
drumgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #159

Drumgal, do not give up on this forum.
If you feel you need to get out quickly, do so.
Some feel they need belts + suspenders, some do not.
If you know your numbers, are willing to make the necessary adaptions and fight lifestyle inflation, go for it.
It is so wonderful to get back your time and decide for yourself how to spend it.
Good luck and enjoy!
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Also if won't help you to work a few more years for more $ if the stress is literally killing you. Sometimes you just need to leave toxic situations. A horrible boss can make work a literal hell.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, guilt, pension, sanity, uncertainty