Retiring early w/ pension to save my sanity!

Broadway - I can't fix your property tax, we are well under $2k/yr in Central CA. As to Health Insurance, well as long as the ACA survives its been just about tailor made for low income retirees. Kaiser Silver plan. Good Coverage. Recent built every service operation center in my little burg. They mail the drugs to your door. My current fear is Medicare in 4 years will be a cost increase, lol.

Broadway - I can't fix your property tax, we are well under $2k/yr in Central CA. As to Health Insurance, well as long as the ACA survives its been just about tailor made for low income retirees. Kaiser Silver plan. Good Coverage. Recent built every service operation center in my little burg. They mail the drugs to your door. My current fear is Medicare in 4 years will be a cost increase, lol.

I doubt ACA isn't going to survive. I have been using it for the past 3 now going on 4 years.

With the way some in DC are talking, I am not even sure Medicare is going to survive in its present form at least by the time I am eligible. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but does not apply to drumgal.

If you get a pension from another country, it does mean WEP rules apply, so SS could be reduced by up to 1/2 of the other country benefit (if it's an earned benefit).
If you get a pension by simply having been a citizen of a foreign country then WEP does not apply.

Yes, WEP is also avoided if you have 30 years of FICA payments or if you made voluntary contributions to a foreign SS system.

Yes, WEP is also avoided if you have 30 years of FICA payments or if you made voluntary contributions to a foreign SS system.

A little clarification...one needs 30 years of "substantial earnings" to avoid WEP. My DH has four years of part-time work paying FICA that don't count as substantial earnings in his WEP calculation.

A little clarification...one needs 30 years of "substantial earnings" to avoid WEP. My DH has four years of part-time work paying FICA that don't count as substantial earnings in his WEP calculation.

And right now, "substantial earnings" 2016 was $22,050 so that pretty much cuts out retirement part-time work unless it's really well paid.

The good news is, it still increases the SS by a small amount.

(ps - I think WEP is unfair, as I worked non-SS and earned a pension, then worked 15 yrs eligible for SS , but SS uses WEP to reduce the earned for pension. Exactly like how other pension receiving folks claim nobody should touch their pension. ):mad::mad::mad:

I am getting hurt by WEP too because I have 15 years of work with a state that did not pay in and the rest of my time in private.

But there is some proration between 20 and 30 years, which helps a bit.

Drumgal, I feel a connection, a very positive one. I needed to "get out" of a County job back in 2006. I had 23 years in, but alas I was only 50. I looked at the numbers as "getting" 35% of full pension, while the naysayers on this thread would say I took a 65% hit. Still my calc was based on would it be enough to pay the bills? Yep. Obviously SS was not even a consideration for me then, someday it will be a nice raise.

I am also a musician, though not nearly as successful as you, and you are going to laugh, we just recently had to fire the drummer! But I bet I have more axes then you have sticks, lol, so I'm doing just fine. And that's what 11 years later now.

The key is if 100 percent with all the deductions paid the bills, including the mortage, why can't 75% with much less deductions, like not paying into retirement, FICA etc still pay the bills, leaving your PT job to fill in any gaps, and the gigs to pay for the broken drum sticks you throw to the crowd!

It sounds to me you are already In Like Flint, day one. Ditch the Boss. Pass Go. Collect your $200 and enjoy your well deserved retirement. I am. I so wish you would join our band...

Thank you Jonny M! I feel like you GET it! I was looking for a way to delete all my posts here, until I found yours! LOL!!! I have calculated again and again...YES my bills will be covered, including the mortgage. I will have money coming in, but NO BAD BOSS to make my life a living hell AND I will be able to do just what I love for the first time ever. Damn right that's worth something!!!

I wish you luck finding a drummer! Too bad I don't live closer!

Drumgal, do not give up on this forum.
If you feel you need to get out quickly, do so.
Some feel they need belts + suspenders, some do not.
If you know your numbers, are willing to make the necessary adaptions and fight lifestyle inflation, go for it.
It is so wonderful to get back your time and decide for yourself how to spend it.
Good luck and enjoy!

Also if won't help you to work a few more years for more $ if the stress is literally killing you. Sometimes you just need to leave toxic situations. A horrible boss can make work a literal hell.

Drumgal:

Do the 20 years and get the full medical. It may make a big difference in the future if/when it and other retirement benefits are cut. Yes, you hate your job. But 5 or 6 more months won't be that bad.

Also if won't help you to work a few more years for more $ if the stress is literally killing you. Sometimes you just need to leave toxic situations. A horrible boss can make work a literal hell.

I have had numerous stress-related disorders over the years. Everything from anxiety attacks to skin rashes, Bells Palsy, high blood pressure, cortisol levels sky high... I am also diabetic and you should see what stress does to my blood sugar! Our office is extremely detail-oriented. My boss wants absolute perfection. I am human and make mistakes. My work/attendance record is excellent, except for the petty and damaging reprimands I've endured. Not sure why I have been chosen as scapegoat and punching bag!? Boss never speaks to me accept to criticize and punish, always in earshot of my co-workers. Consequently, I receive little respect at my job although I am a senior employee with 20 yrs of experience.The newbies either avoid me completely or criticize me as well. My patrons love me, and I have tried to focus my attention there, but I have had enough. 20 yrs is enough! I cringe when others here say I should stick it out.That's exactly what I have been doing! I am 56 and there's still time for me to enjoy life. That's it! So to those who would question my decision...still think I should stay? Ha! Thank you Terry! You're absolutely right!

Last edited:
I think you should finish the 20 years. Don't let a jerk boss undermine the rest of your life by pushing you out earlier. Use whatever paid leave you have for which you will not get paid between now and Thanksgiving. Make sure you get the full 20 years per your retirement system's calculations.

You have made it this far, give these folks the extended middle finger by going when it is best for you.

give these folks the extended middle finger by going when it is best for you.

Exactly!
They can't do anything to you including your boss!

If you leave now, your boss' tactics would have been effective, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
I have had numerous stress-related disorders over the years. Everything from anxiety attacks to skin rashes, Bells Palsy, high blood pressure, cortisol levels sky high... I am also diabetic and you should see what stress does to my blood sugar! Our office is extremely detail-oriented. My boss wants absolute perfection. I am human and make mistakes. My work/attendance record is excellent, except for the petty and damaging reprimands I've endured. Not sure why I have been chosen as scapegoat and punching bag!? Boss never speaks to me accept to criticize and punish, always in earshot of my co-workers. Consequently, I receive little respect at my job although I am a senior employee with 20 yrs of experience.The newbies either avoid me completely or criticize me as well. My patrons love me, and I have tried to focus my attention there, but I have had enough. 20 yrs is enough! I cringe when others here say I should stick it out.That's exactly what I have been doing! I am 56 and there's still time for me to enjoy life. That's it! So to those who would question my decision...still think I should stay? Ha! Thank you Terry! You're absolutely right!

Well, you did ask for advice--if you just want us to agree with your decision, tell us that next time and we can just post smiley faces and thumbs up for you.

I think you should finish the 20 years. Don't let a jerk boss undermine the rest of your life by pushing you out earlier. Use whatever paid leave you have for which you will not get paid between now and Thanksgiving. Make sure you get the full 20 years per your retirement system's calculations.

You have made it this far, give these folks the extended middle finger by going when it is best for you.

Yes, I am considering this! It would only be 4 more months later than I'd planned (July to November) BUT! I have now accepted the part-time data entry position and I would have to do both until I can leave the other job! Might be a challenge... I have already given notice, (Which I can still rescind) I can hear my boss laughing now..."Oh, so you've changed your MIND, have you?" *sigh* Thank you, yes I am considering this...

Well, you did ask for advice--if you just want us to agree with your decision, tell us that next time and we can just post smiley faces and thumbs up for you.

No need to be short with me...It's still a stressful situation. I was hoping to hear from some others in my position, is all. (And of course I DO want this to work for me if possible!) I'm no dummy, just desperate.

Exactly!
They can't do anything to you including your boss!

If you leave now, your boss' tactics would have been effective, wouldn't it?

Like I said before, I've been enduring this for a long time already. *sigh* I may consider staying until Nov, my actual 20 year date.

Drumgal , I think a lot of people are concerned for you because we have seen other members try the retiring on a shoestring and it did not work . They all returned to work.The only thing I would suggest is staying the extra few months especially if it is tied into medical insurance . That is a biggie especially as you age .

No need to be short with me...It's still a stressful situation. I was hoping to hear from some others in my position, is all. (And of course I DO want this to work for me if possible!) I'm no dummy, just desperate.

Not being short at all. You should be able to tell from their carefully thought-out posts that most people here sympathize with you.

One question: are you posting from a work computer that other staff, IT, etc., can access? We never know who is looking over our cybershoulder....

Like I said before, I've been enduring this for a long time already. *sigh* I may consider staying until Nov, my actual 20 year date.

If I was in your situation I would feel empowered not stressed out!!!!
FU would be my attitude to your boss and your co-workers.
So what if your manager belittles you?
You only have to get to November 2017. Then sayonara baby.

I can tell you that I wouldn't blow a full pension with medical for 4 months more.

But that's me and I'm not you.

Drumgal , I think a lot of people are concerned for you because we have seen other members try the retiring on a shoestring and it did not work . They all returned to work.The only thing I would suggest is staying the extra few months especially if it is tied into medical insurance . That is a biggie especially as you age .

I know 6 people who pulled their pension before it was locked in...I know it's not exactly the same situation, but money ended up being an issue and 4 of them are now back at work. Of the 2 that left, 1 unfortunately passed away, and the 2nd person is working a much lower paying job with no benefits.

Even if drumgal leaves early, she should at least ensure that the medical insurance milestone is reached.

Is your medical free once you hit 20 years or just go down in price? With the state every year starting at 15 you pay less for insurance the more years you have in but it is not a huge difference unless you have 30 years. In my case it was not worth it to stay another 2 years to hit age 60.

The only thing I would suggest is staying the extra few months especially if it is tied into medical insurance . That is a biggie especially as you age .

+1

This is huge. As I wrote in another thread about aging, up to three years ago I hadn't spent the night in a hospital since 1950. Not that I didn't have any medical issues, but they weren't all that complicated. But starting with the two stents in my heart I've run up well into six figures in medical expenses, all covered by insurance from my former employer, and that's with the discounted rate negotiated by the insurance company and later on, Medicare.

The older you get the greater the likelihood that you will be thankful for toughing it out for four more months.

Back
Top Bottom