Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I doubt she would lose 60/month for 4 months of work. PERS pro-rates by the month so I think that is incorrect.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I doubt she would lose 60/month for 4 months of work. PERS pro-rates by the month so I think that is incorrect.
That was her statement.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #183
Administrator

I believe her statements were 10 months of additional work would lead to an increase in pension of $60 and a reduction in her health care contribution of $30, net $90 to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumgal View Post
If I retire before 20-year mark, I will have to pay $30 more a month towards my premium. (I am exploring the possibility of a high deductible plan w/ NO monthly payment.) My current plan offers a subsidy towards health insurance, and my balance w/ dental would be a total of $230 a month. Is it worth it to me to wait another 10 months to save $30 a month? At this point I would say "no." Would you disagree? Thanks for your input! I'm reading everything here!
Quote:
I would have to pay $30 a month more for insurance and would take a pension cut of approx $60 dollars per month. This is a good point! Some would say, "It's only $100 a month." Others might say, WOW! That's $1200 (or so) a year!

I am considering staying until November, although it would be extremely hard, particularly after having already given my notice. I appreciate your input! Thank you!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Drumgal , I think a lot of people are concerned for you because we have seen other members try the retiring on a shoestring and it did not work . They all returned to work.The only thing I would suggest is staying the extra few months especially if it is tied into medical insurance . That is a biggie especially as you age .
I will have medical and dental insurance when I retire. That's the beauty of it! I have a very reasonable deductible for my health insurance after which my visits are covered at 100% Dental will cost me $59 a month.That's it!

I'm not retiring COMPLETELY! I have already accepted a part-time job I can do at home. I have always worked as a professional musician besides.
drumgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #185

Stick it out until November and take the extra $1,080 per year for doing nothing. You can use the six weeks vacation at the end. You should still accrue time for retirement those last 6 weeks (verify, of course). If you take it as a lump sum, a lot more taxes will be taken out that you will have to sort out at tax time.

Have you checked your marriage and divorce dates to make sure you were married for at least 10 years? One day under, and you lose whatever you would have gotten in SS from your ex. Get all your ducks in a row before you commit to a retirement date.

Remember, you could lose those subsidized health insurance benefits. I lost a lot of mine when retirees were dropped from the local government's plan. There will be more of that as agencies look to cut costs. That $1,080 per year would make up for some of the loss.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just wondering... is there another role you could take on that might be more patron focused and that you could either avoid altogether or reduce interactions with this toxic boss?

If not and if there is no particular magic to being there 20 years vs 19 2/3 years then by all means get yourself out of that horrible situation and take a chance.

How much vacation do you have coming? Can you use vacation to cover a good portion of the 4 months? (In other words, stop working and go on vacation and have your last day of vacation be your retirement date so if you had a month of vacation coming you would only need to work an additional 3 months rather than 4 months)

As long as I am still working I will sock away as much as I can in my deferred comp. (Pre-tax contribution from my paycheck) I am "practicing" my post-retirement budget. So far, no problem! (6 mos and counting) IF I wait until the 20 yr mark I will get another $60 a month on my check. There will be a decrease in retirement penalty for yrs under age 60 (.33% per mo.) I am opting for the high-deductible retirement health plan with NO monthly premium and an added HSA that can be used to (almost) cover the deductible. If I save my vacation time, I will get paid for it when I retire. So far I have 8 weeks saved. (There is a cap, but I haven't reached it yet!) I like your idea though! After I retire, I may roll over the deferred comp $ into a Roth IRA or (?!) and continue to contribute to it from my part-time work.I will save like a madwoman for a few years...making frugal FUN! I can do this.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I understand you correctly, 20 years doesn't have any magic compared to 19 2/3 or 19 1/2 years other than the 0.33% per month since your health insurance will not be any different.

One thing to consider is whether two months of retirement benefits is worth 0.66% for the rest of your life... if so then perhaps you can extend your service by using your vacation to extend your service by two months and forgoing two months of retirement benefits in exchange for a 0.66% increase in retirement benefits for life. On the other hand, if you take the vacation pay in cash and start your retiree benefits immediately you can used the vacation pay to bolster your emergency fund.

At this point, you're in the driver's seat... hopefully that will help you dealing with toxic boss for your remaining time.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If I understand you correctly, 20 years doesn't have any magic compared to 19 2/3 or 19 1/2 years other than the 0.33% per month since your health insurance will not be any different.

One thing to consider is whether two months of retirement benefits is worth 0.66% for the rest of your life... if so then perhaps you can extend your service by using your vacation to extend your service by two months and forgoing two months of retirement benefits in exchange for a 0.66% increase in retirement benefits for life. On the other hand, if you take the vacation pay in cash and start your retiree benefits immediately you can used the vacation pay to bolster your emergency fund.

At this point, you're in the driver's seat... hopefully that will help you dealing with toxic boss for your remaining time.
Yes, you're exactly right! It's a tough call, but that's what it boils down to! I'm going to really consider using the vacation time to extend my service. I could leave "early" AND reap the benefits! Thanks again for your take on this. I'm pretty obsessed with figuring this out! Your input really helps.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Stick it out until November and take the extra $1,080 per year for doing nothing. You can use the six weeks vacation at the end. You should still accrue time for retirement those last 6 weeks (verify, of course). If you take it as a lump sum, a lot more taxes will be taken out that you will have to sort out at tax time.

Remember, you could lose those subsidized health insurance benefits. I lost a lot of mine when retirees were dropped from the local government's plan. There will be more of that as agencies look to cut costs. That $1,080 per year would make up for some of the loss.
BOTH great points! Thank you!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Not being short at all. You should be able to tell from their carefully thought-out posts that most people here sympathize with you.

One question: are you posting from a work computer that other staff, IT, etc., can access? We never know who is looking over our cybershoulder....
These posts have meant so much to me, although certain naysayers I find discouraging... *sigh* This post has kept me sane for the last week or so! This is a very stressful time. I appreciate any comments.I'm still figuring this out, so thank you!

I am careful NEVER to look up this thread at work, My boss is just the type that would snoop! Only at home...
Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Drumgal,

I'm sure you have checked but is a transfer to another government department an option?

Whatever you decide to do try not to burn any bridges. You never know when you might have to use them in the future.

JMHO
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #192
gone traveling

Quote:
As long as I am still working I will sock away as much as I can in my deferred comp. (Pre-tax contribution from my paycheck)
I would stop this immediately and put toward your cash reserve. That little bit in the last few months won't mean anything to that plan, and you certainly don't need the tax break at that income level.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #193

Quote:
After I retire, I may roll over the deferred comp $ into a Roth IRA or (?!) and continue to contribute to it from my part-time work..
you'll need to check carefully what the rules are for your deferred comp plan, they do vary (I have deferred salary too and mine absolutely cannot be rolled into an IRA, but maybe yours is different?). However, you won't be able to roll it directly into a Roth, because Uncle Sam wants to get paid at some point.... Since it is pre-tax money, you will have to roll it into a tIRA and then convert to Roth and pay the appropriate taxes - with your limited income in retirement, this may not be that big of a hit though.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #194
Recycles dryer sheets

How are you doing? What did you decide?
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
How are you doing? What did you decide?
Well, I gave my final notice- filled out the paperwork. My boss said nothing on my final review, no 'thanks'- no 'good luck.' Not a decent word, after 20 yrs of loyalty! Ha! I have decided that living with less money is better than living miserably! Have been practicing my AR budget, and finding that life is just fine!(Several months now!) The rest, every penny, in fact, is going to savings. I will continue to save after I leave my job. I understand why some might disagree with me on this early retirement, but all we have is this one life! I need very little to be happy. I have not felt this "alive" in years! Taking charge of my own life and happiness, that is. Just a side note- 3 other employees have decided to leave as well! I think I have started something! I guess I wasn't the only one...Thank you for asking! I was very scared at first, but feeling stronger and confident now!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:25 AM   #196

Thanks for the update. May you enjoy a wonderful ER!
Sometimes the benfit of waiting is not worth it.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #197

I'm glad you updated us. I reread the entire thread.

Just want to say good luck to you. Tracking your expenses and knowing what you need teaches you about how you'll live.

The biggest "unknown" is probably your health care expenses. For us, DH's pension system made huge changes to their health care plans and then dropped spousal coverage so that was a big hit to our expenses, but we were able to absorb it. Another thing to watch out for is if you have a medical event that requires you to cover a large deductible. One year of that is significant, a second year or an ongoing expensive medical issue could be devastating, so have a LARGE emergency fund. Having an HSA will be a big help.

As for the sanity issue, DH didn't hate his job, but he had a couple of years of feeling that he was being targeted by his boss and that his removal was looming. Once it really did happen he was very relieved and felt like a whole new part of life had opened up. He took a while to detach from the stress and appreciate how freeing that felt. Then he learned to play again. Not playing music, like you, but playing like a kid on a sunny Saturday with no school tomorrow!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
I would stop this immediately and put toward your cash reserve. That little bit in the last few months won't mean anything to that plan, and you certainly don't need the tax break at that income level.
I appreciate this advice. I will look at this more closely! I will receive a pretty large last check w/ yearly bonus and unused vacation leave. I had planned to have that entire final check deposited there (deferred comp) so it won't be taxed so heavily. It's nothing more than an additional savings account at this point, but it is a tax-deferred contribution from my regular paycheck. I was planning to roll over the funds into another account at some point (undetermined). Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #199
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm glad you updated us. I reread the entire thread.

Just want to say good luck to you. Tracking your expenses and knowing what you need teaches you about how you'll live.

The biggest "unknown" is probably your health care expenses. For us, DH's pension system made huge changes to their health care plans and then dropped spousal coverage so that was a big hit to our expenses, but we were able to absorb it. Another thing to watch out for is if you have a medical event that requires you to cover a large deductible. One year of that is significant, a second year or an ongoing expensive medical issue could be devastating, so have a LARGE emergency fund. Having an HSA will be a big help.
Thank you! I will have pretty good medical coverage with an HSA. I've chosen the high deductible plan, and with the HSA, my max deductible would be $500 a year, if unused the HSA rolls over. This plan, as opposed to paying a monthly premium of $230 which would greatly exceed the $500 a year deductible. Dental is included. I feel pretty good about that. Thank you for your input!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #200

Are you certain that the health plan is an HDHP that qualifies for an HSA? A qualifying HDHP has to have a minimium of $1300 deductible for an individual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-deductible_health_plan

Nevermind, I see you would have a $2500 deductible with $2000 contributed by your employer.

Tags
advice needed, guilt, pension, sanity, uncertainty