Join Early Retirement Today

Retiring to Belize
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Retiring to Belize

I'm in Japan. heading back to the States soon for another year or two of work while I build my house in Belize. Planning to retire by age 50. Anybody else in Belize or Central America area?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Tim,

Welcome aboard.

What part of Belize? I've been there long time ago, thought Ambergris was beautiful; great diving!

Amy
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tim, we have a friend that just finished his house in Placencia. Also know some folks down a bit further south as well that have a ranch. Great place. I think our friend plans to spend about half of the year there and half in SC, split about 3 months at a time. We've been down there a good bit and like the Placencia area very much.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Placencia
Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #4

Placencia

Thanks for the reply. My land is a few miles north of Placencia in a place called Riversdale (North of Maya). If your friend who built a house can recommend his construction company that would be really great
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

welcome to the board.

not in either place, but surely wish i was...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Tim, our friend is in partnership of sorts with Norman Leslie who owns Seaspray in Placencia. I am pretty sure that Norman still runs his own construction crews, as he has a lot of irons in the fire in the community. Our friend's house is on one of the cays, but he's looking to build an investment house back on the river side of Placencia as well.

As you know, it is a whole different world down there to get things to happen. Without a local partner, I think it would have been impossible for our friend to complete his house (and then rebuild it after the latest hurricane).

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Retirement visa in Belize?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement visa in Belize?

Hi-
I'd be interested in knowing how difficult it is to get a retirement visa in Belize. Also, what made you choose Belize over let's say Costa Rica where I have considered semi-retiring. Thaks in advance.

Regards, Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rob, i've been putting together a fairly sloppy but somewhat useful personal database of visas-by-country. basically i cut & paste from various websites. here's what i've got on belize:

Quote:
Belize
June 13, 2007 us $1 = bzd $1.96

No inoculations are required for entry, but anti-malaria tablets are recommended for extended stays in the jungle

http://www.belizeretirement.org/incentives.shtml

many fees to set this up (about $2k)

Retirement visa – min age 45. us$2,000/month (24k/yr)

All persons who have been designated a Qualified Retired Person shall be entitled, on first entering Belize, to import his or her personal effects and an approved means of transportation free of all import duties and taxes.

A Qualified Retired Person shall be exempt from the payment of all taxes and duties on all income or receipts which accrue to him or her from a source outside of Belize whether that income is generated from work performed or from an investment.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa for tourist or business travel to this country for stays up to 90 days. A valid U.S. Passport is required

http://www.travelbelize.org/faq.html
Visitors are permitted to stay in Belize for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days. The following category of persons may be granted by the Immigration Department extensions of up to three (3) months at a time. These three months would be after the thirty day period given by the Immigration Officer at the port of entry.
  1. Persons living in remote areas away from the Immigration Office
  2. Potential Investors
  3. Business persons
The above is on the strict understanding that the applicant presents himself /herself in person and satisfies the requirement that the necessary funds (US $50.00 per person per day or $18,250/yr) are available for the duration of the period requested extension. Applicant must also have a ticket to his/her onward destination. Extensions are granted at a cost of US $50.00 per month.
To obtain a visitor's extension, an application must be submitted to any of the district offices or to the:
Belize Immigration and Nationality Department
Belmopan, Cayo District
Belize, Central America
Telephone 011-501-822-2423
Fax: 011-501-822-2662

Since visa requirements are subject to change, please contact the Belize Consuls and Embassies for up-to-date information.
OR Contact:
The Belize Embassy
2535 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
Washington, D.C. 20008
USA
Telephone: (202) 332-9636
Fax: (202) 332-6741

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Im off to Belize for 10 days next year - interested in hearing what not to miss or experience. Interest are real sandy beach, relaxing, maybe some horseback riding, touring some ancient sites... of course while were ther we are interested in evaluating retirement opportunities.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hi-
I'd be interested in knowing how difficult it is to get a retirement visa in Belize. Also, what made you choose Belize over let's say Costa Rica where I have considered semi-retiring. Thaks in advance.

Regards, Rob
Rob: Lazy put some good info on here. But in addition, I liked the British Common Law system as it's easy for me to understand as it's very similar to American law. All documents and such are in English. Also i found that in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Honduras, most people went nuts on land pricese when they saw a Gringo. Prices are going up in Belize for sure, but seem to be a bit more reasonable.

Well, I'm heading back down Aug 30 for a couple of weeks to start contracting on building my retirement house!