Join Early Retirement Today

Returning to the scene
Old 01-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Returning to the scene

Hi all,
I used to post as Oldbabe but disappeared from here about 2010 after a minor kerfuffle with the moderator. Since I posted a reply on a thread I thought I should re-introduce myself. I'm not a typical early retiree, having originally joined the forum soon after a divorce in order to learn about personal finance. My retirement was and is almost totally based upon a divorce settlement and family trust.

Although, I have to say, that the only reason I am financially secure now, 12 years later, is because I have managed my finances with rigorous attention. I know plenty of people who have blown through their money and are now close to destitute, living on credit cards in their non existent retirement, and trying to cobble together a livelihood from various jobs.

I learned a lot from this forum and that's one reason I decided to re-register. Seems like the economy is entering another sketchy period, not sure why, except for the obvious, an overvalued stock market and banks that are all leveraged up again. Hard to know what's actually going on behind the scenes of all those financial institutions. Just feels like bad mojo again. So, if things go south, I might need to figure out some financial difficulties and this would be a good place to do that.

Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back...

Let's hope you do not have the same problem as you did earlier...

Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Hi there Oldbabe!

I recall that right after I joined this forum, I read a thread that you started, talking about growing a vegetable garden. I remember you counted all the money you spent, then concluded with a statement that you had not gotten anything out of that garden to eat yet.

Was that you, or perhaps my "superior" memory is failing again? It could be someone else. At about the same time, Khan was posting photos of her veggie plants, or was it some fruits, and those of some squirrels.

It's been 8 years already!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hi there Oldbabe!

I recall that right after I joined this forum, I read a thread that you started, talking about growing a vegetable garden. I remember you counted all the money you spent, then concluded with a statement that you had not gotten anything out of that garden to eat yet.

It's been 8 years already!
That was probably me. I had a plot in a community garden. Returning to the forum after five years has been fun, so far, like a college reunion or something!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Welcome back !
Thanks, Moemg!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome back Zoocat.

New name is good but oldbabe, now that leaves a cool "sassy lady" impression.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Welcome back Zoocat.

New name is good but oldbabe, now that leaves a cool "sassy lady" impression.
Thanks for the welcome, Tom52.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoocat View Post
Just feels like bad mojo again. So, if things go south, I might need to figure out some financial difficulties and this would be a good place to do that.
Welcome back Oldbabe. Glad things worked out for you. I hope your reasons for returning turn out to be the camaraderie and not necessity!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

welcome back! Glad that it's not a crisis returning you here but appreciation of the knowledge.

seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote