rwdflynavy checking back in after 5 years, now FIREd

rwdflynavy

Recycles dryer sheets
Good Morning all,

I joined the forum 5 years ago, posted twice and then life got in the way. I've been a regular poster/reader over at Mr. Money Mustache as davisgang90.

I retired from the Navy after 28 years and moved my family down to my wife's hometown of Roanoke Virginia.

Plan is to live mostly on my military pension and potentially work part-time.

Happy to reconnect! I've been catching up on reading, mostly in the Life after FIRE section.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the sirens of Odysseus, not those of police!

...and then life got in the way.

+1

You've captured all the reasons FIRE lingers just out of reach for so many. It calls to us like sirens, luring us with visions of unearthly beauty, but the rocks and currents of life so often drive us off course.

Anyway, welcome to forum, congratulations on reaching the Promised Land, and thank you for your service to our country!

Good Morning all,

I joined the forum 5 years ago, posted twice and then life got in the way. I've been a regular poster/reader over at Mr. Money Mustache as davisgang90.

I retired from the Navy after 28 years and moved my family down to my wife's hometown of Roanoke Virginia.

Plan is to live mostly on my military pension and potentially work part-time.

Happy to reconnect! I've been catching up on reading, mostly in the Life after FIRE section.
Welcome back, retired Navy after 26 years in 04 and retired in Virginia beach. Still working with government for about another year and most likely will retire at 59.

Hey Rich, welcome back. I think I worked at the Pentagon when I was active duty at the same time you did ('12-'15). Then I went to Germany to fly NATO AWACS, and retired last year at 44.

After taking 7 months off, we decided that we want to build a new house, which is more expensive than the FIRE budget allowed, so I ended up taking my first civilian job since 1997.

Guess I failed at ER due to several factors. I never got bored during those 7 months, though.

Hey HawkeyeNFO, Good to see another familiar face/avatar here! I'm not on the Internet Retirement Police squad, so no trouble with me!

Howdy rwdflynavy,
An old A-6 Intruder B/N here. Retired at 56 after doing 11 Active/11 Reserve and some interesting DOD work as a Civ. ER is vastly superior to w*rk!

Howdy rwdflynavy,
An old A-6 Intruder B/N here. Retired at 56 after doing 11 Active/11 Reserve and some interesting DOD work as a Civ. ER is vastly superior to w*rk!
Thanks dtbach! My dad flew the subsonic ugly in Vietnam. My BOQ roommate was also an A-6 BN. A great plane!

Back
Top Bottom