Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
I have all the anxiety anyone might have over social loss, routine, and other aspects of cutting the job loose, but I will not miss the Microsoft beemer traffic from Redmond into Bellevue each day.
You didn't mention financial. If that's okay, you simply need to decide how soon you want to face the other issues. Sooner or later it has to happen, so why not now while you have time to work on reestablishing social and routines, etc. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I used to volunteer for a NGO that involved travel. The rule was that if any single flight in your journey was longer than three hours, you could book business class. That really helped when flying to the Middle East. Following a strategic review cost cutting blitz it was decided that everyone must fly in economy. My reaction: buh-bye!
Wow, peons like me flew coach to the Pacific Rim for the last 2 decades. I heard that we to fly business when the dinosaurs roamed the earth...

Couldn't sleep in the awful econ seats, so I read and re-read Zelinski's "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free"
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I used to volunteer for a NGO that involved travel. The rule was that if any single flight in your journey was longer than three hours, you could book business class. That really helped when flying to the Middle East. Following a strategic review cost cutting blitz it was decided that everyone must fly in economy. My reaction: buh-bye!
My mega-corp allowed business class for flights longer that 6 hours. Of course 100% of my travel was under that. However, they did allow and encourage us to go where the CEO's jet was headed. If we had a reason, we were in. I like to tell people I retired because I'd been to the Caribbean on a private jet (true). How could I top that?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
That's what they want you to think. In reality, as many have already posted, a lot of people don't even take advantage of it.

Plus, there's a bigger advantage to the company that many people don't realize at first. When there's no accrued vacation, there's nothing they have to cash out when you leave, at least in states that force companies to do that.

At my last two jobs, I left with almost a full six weeks of PTO, and they had to cash me out. That's like getting three full paychecks when you leave.

At a place that doesn't accrue vacation, there's nothing they have to cash out and pay you when you leave. That's the REAL benefit to the company. They want you to think it's for employee happiness, but that's BS. It's so they don't have to track that liability on their books.
Yup. Avoid "flexible vacation" policies like the plague. LoneAspen pretty much nails it. And as someone else mentioned, the hard workers take less leave (and megacorp knows that).

Companies with mandatory vacation policies (i.e. you MUST take vacation) are far more employee friendly. Even better if they make you turn in your w*rk phone and laptop. Studies prove this makes employees more productive and in some cases is good for rooting out problem employees (e.g. internal data intrusions stopped while employee X was on vacation).
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
Yup. Avoid "flexible vacation" policies like the plague. LoneAspen pretty much nails it. And as someone else mentioned, the hard workers take less leave (and megacorp knows that).

Companies with mandatory vacation policies (i.e. you MUST take vacation) are far more employee friendly. Even better if they make you turn in your w*rk phone and laptop. Studies prove this makes employees more productive and in some cases is good for rooting out problem employees (e.g. internal data intrusions stopped while employee X was on vacation).

Yes... if you are in accounting you were required to take two weeks off at sometime during the year.... the thinking is that any theft going on would show up during that time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote