Seeking advice from the experienced

Thanks again to all who have posted. Great advice here and it’s much appreciated. Many responses with similar answers of spending time with family/personally rewarding activities and being proud of being successful. Just another testament to the quality of people in this forum. This place is fantastic.

Spend time with your family...feel free to tell anybody who suggests someone your age "needs" to go back to work to pound sand.

I spent my mid 20s to almost age 40 taking care of a high-maintenance parent with a long-term, but ultimately terminal illness.

I regret my relationship with my kids, especially my oldest is not nearly as strong as it could have been because of the above.

Last edited:
You are in a very unique position at your age. It's nice that you've accomplished so much at such a young age, but that also brings some baggage I won't get into.

When working, I dealt with many families of wealth. And after obtaining success, .most sold their businesses and started into new businesses. Two were beer distributors and one owned a major fast food restaurant chain for a state. Two of the three guys died in their early 70's.

Others have turned their businesses over to their sons that are mid 40's. And they are also very successful because they were well trained by their parents.

Other successful people I have dealt with have worked into their 70's seasonally. They stay 3-4 months in their second or third homes either in Florida or in the skii resorts. The sons hold down the family businesses while the aging dads are gone. The daughters really don't do much of anything other than working for charity while their brothers work hard.

The one big hobby I am experiencing is personal jet airplanes. Heck, they've all got them. My sister has one too.

Do yourself a favor and find a few great hobbies that are profitable and don't cost $1500 just to start the engines. Look for another business where your skills can be applied if you get bored and want to work. And raise those children to where they grow up to be normal adults.

Enjoy your early retirement! I would have saved more, watched our expenses closer and retired even earlier if I had to do it over again.

DH always liked telling people he was retired, no matter their reaction. I sensed some resentment at times so started saying I worked from home, which had been true at one time. In hindsight, I think I should have just been honest and told people I was retired, too. If they had a problem with it, well then that was their problem and not mine. I shouldn't have had to lie about whether I worked or not when someone asked what I did.

Not sure I would have done anything differently... other than maybe retiring a year or two earlier. I wasn't as young as you - I was 52... But I had youngish kids at home. (Age 13 and 11 at the time).

I was worried that I'd need/want structure after working for so many years... So I signed up for Italian classes at the local community college. That provided a good transition for me. But after 3 semesters I knew I didn't need the structure. For one - the kids imposed structure - needed to get them to/from school and activities on a fixed schedule.

I am very glad I had the time/emotional bandwidth to deal with the high school years. Older son had a series of crisis that required very active parenting. Younger son was a varsity athlete so it was great to be able to go to every meet and cheer him on Not sure how that would have worked if I was still working. I would have missed so much.

Living in a HCOL area I had a pat answer to the 'how can you be retired at your age?'... When folks would inquire I just stated that once the mortgage was paid off, there wasn't the same need for massive cash to pay it. Since most folks here have huge mortgages - people understood.

I also would explain that work was interfering with my interests outside of work. I have enough to keep me plenty busy without work taking up all my time.

1) Not significantly. RE'd at 57, 4 years ago.
2) What Robert said. You need something that occupies your time in a meaningful way. For me it is travel and landscape photography.
3) What Robert said again.
Beautiful pics ..,been to the bottom one, couldn't get a permit for the top one while in Kanab,...how hard( trail marked well ?) was the hike to that amazing spot we wanted to see ?

It has worked well for me to slowly ramp down how much I'm working while I ramp up other interests. That way there's no sudden change, and if you live now like you want to live when you're retired, you'll know if it makes you happy. I either lie to people and tell them I'm still working or just tell the truth. Depends on if I'm in the mood for the funny looks or not.

1. Like most, I would have retired earlier, and spent more time with my kids.

3. Tell everyone you are a stay at home dad.

Like you, I have a car project that I never had time to work on. Recently I was able to spend a several weeks working on it every day. It is amazing the progress I made.

Every day, do what you want. Don't worry if something seems like a waste of time. You have the time.

Welcome to the OP. We have a bit in common. I owned a PC Insurance Agency from age 21 til I sold it at age 50. I poured my entire life into taking care of my clients and companies and it took a toll. I knew if I worked and saved/invested for 30 years I could FIRE. It worked as planned. It seems it worked for you too.

What I'd do differently ? Not much really. I sold my agency on a 10 year installment and the payments more than cover our living expenses. This allows our other investments to grow until we tap into them at age 61. We don't have half of your net worth, but we feel very financially secure. If I had it over again I would have pursued outside financing for the buyer and taken a cash deal. At first I worried a bit about the buyer's ability to make it work and make the payments, but he's done well and he's over 5 years into the 10 year installment plan.

I moved 350 miles from the small town where my business was located. When you own a business in a small town you can never really separate yourself from the business. I knew if I wanted my own life and identity I needed to change locations. It also helped the new owner establish himself as the owner.

Advice for someone your age? Don't over volunteer or commit to responsibilities. You will be approached by many worthwhile organizations, be careful with your time.

I have never had the desire to go back into a business. I know how hard it is to run a successful business of any kind and I'm not willing to sell my time again. Actually, since I ER'd I took over the management of all of my investments and rental property. If I add up the fees I would have been paying it comes to a great paying part time job.

Also, keep up with friends your own age. I was 50 when I completely retired and everyone my age is still working. I've lost contact with many of them. I ended up making friends with other retirees but they're 15 to 20 years older than me. They're very active and we do a lot of things that tire out people younger than us, that's good but I do miss socializing with people my own age.

I still get asked "what do you do" I found the best answer I can give is to tell them "I work from home" If they inquire further I tell them I owned a small business and am phasing out and can manage it from home. That is actually true, I just don't have to manage it very hard. I never tell them what industry I was in. The PC insurance industry is not a fun business that the public likes. Everyone has an insurance beef and I don't want to hear about it anymore.

Spend as much time as you can with your family. You won't get these years back. I spent too much of my children's youth in my office trying to please the public. DW was very patient, she was on board with the FIRE idea and I couldn't have done it without her.

1) Spend more time with your kids. Especially Disneyland, travel, camping, baseball games. Before you know it, they will become adults, get married and you have an empty nest.
2) Suggest you have a worry free safe diversified investment. You do not want to worry about the stock market when you are on the beach or on vacation. I am retired and my portfolio is 25% equities, 25% bonds, 25% income producing real estate and 25% cash and precious metals.
3) Chase you passions: travel, fishing, sports cars, sporting events, live concerts, etc. Most important of all: Maintain your health and fitness. I am close to 70 and my wife is 20 years younger than me so I have to keep up with her. Before I retired, I used to commute 4 hours a day by bicycle or 2 hours one way. I am now re-roofing my shingled house by myself. I play basketball and I surf in Hawaii. Hiking is also my passion. My hobbies must include doing something physical. I got the COVID-19 virus but I recovered which I attributed my recovery to my conditioning and excellent health. Just say you are retired because you made enough money to retire early and do not worry what people think.

Last edited:
1) knowing what you know now about retirement, is there anything you would do differently if you could start over again?

It can be difficult to find a job that qualifies, but my technique was to find a job that I loved and did it for 36 years until forced retirement by age.
Yes, there were difficult days, but never to the point that I considered retiring early.

Welcome to the OP. We have a bit in common. I owned a PC Insurance Agency from age 21 til I sold it at age 50. I poured my entire life into taking care of my clients and companies and it took a toll. I knew if I worked and saved/invested for 30 years I could FIRE. It worked as planned. It seems it worked for you too.

What I'd do differently ? Not much really. I sold my agency on a 10 year installment and the payments more than cover our living expenses. This allows our other investments to grow until we tap into them at age 61. We don't have half of your net worth, but we feel very financially secure. If I had it over again I would have pursued outside financing for the buyer and taken a cash deal. At first I worried a bit about the buyer's ability to make it work and make the payments, but he's done well and he's over 5 years into the 10 year installment plan.

I moved 350 miles from the small town where my business was located. When you own a business in a small town you can never really separate yourself from the business. I knew if I wanted my own life and identity I needed to change locations. It also helped the new owner establish himself as the owner.

Advice for someone your age? Don't over volunteer or commit to responsibilities. You will be approached by many worthwhile organizations, be careful with your time.

I have never had the desire to go back into a business. I know how hard it is to run a successful business of any kind and I'm not willing to sell my time again. Actually, since I ER'd I took over the management of all of my investments and rental property. If I add up the fees I would have been paying it comes to a great paying part time job.

Also, keep up with friends your own age. I was 50 when I completely retired and everyone my age is still working. I've lost contact with many of them. I ended up making friends with other retirees but they're 15 to 20 years older than me. They're very active and we do a lot of things that tire out people younger than us, that's good but I do miss socializing with people my own age.

I still get asked "what do you do" I found the best answer I can give is to tell them "I work from home" If they inquire further I tell them I owned a small business and am phasing out and can manage it from home. That is actually true, I just don't have to manage it very hard. I never tell them what industry I was in. The PC insurance industry is not a fun business that the public likes. Everyone has an insurance beef and I don't want to hear about it anymore.

Spend as much time as you can with your family. You won't get these years back. I spent too much of my children's youth in my office trying to please the public. DW was very patient, she was on board with the FIRE idea and I couldn't have done it without her.

Thank you for the reply and our journeys are extremely similar. I believe we wound up in the same spot (Burnout City). The p&c business is sexy from the outside looking in, but it never turns off especially if you are aggressive in tire growth aspirations. It did everything I could have asked for, but family and sanity prevailed. Appreciate the insight and congrats on your situation

I don't know. Tell me how to get my husband where you are!

:). I still wonder sometimes if the collateral damage was worth the end result. I always decide it was, but the sacrifice was real. Not sure I’d wish the process in anyone else unless they know what they were getting into on the front end!

Spend time with your family...feel free to tell anybody who suggests someone your age "needs" to go back to work to pound sand.

I spent my mid 20s to almost age 40 taking care of a high-maintenance parent with a long-term, but ultimately terminal illness.

I regret my relationship with my kids, especially my oldest is not nearly as strong as it could have been because of the above.

Appreciate the frankness and this is my intention. Perhaps there is still time to mend the relationship with your oldest. Thank you for the reply

Congratulations!
Your questions: 1) Maybe retire earlier. I took a catamaran trip through French Polynesia right after I retired so being able to spend a month floating around Tahiti and Bora Bora definitely made me think I did the right thing
2) just find something you want to do and do it. But you will anyway! I'm finishing up a jewelry making school and taking art classes
3) I retired at 56 so not all that early but I look younger than I am. I have a stock set of answers to the usual questions: What do you do? I retired early.
But you're so young!? - You're never too young to retire!
WHat do you do all day? - Whatever I want.

Nailed it. [emoji16]

Yay! Another Chevelle guy! I've had 6 of them. The one I have now is also a 66 SS396, 4 spd car. Pics in my album.

On the retirement questions...I just retired in February at age 55. I get the questions almost daily. Doesn't bother me really. I've found that people leave you alone after a question or 2. My favorite reponse to "What are you going to do with all of the free time?" is "Whatever I feel like doing!"

I envy your situation as I would have loved to spend more time with my kids when they were younger. I could have coached some sports or attended many more of the games/activities they had.

Back
Top Bottom