should be gone by 54...

bingybear

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
not sure I'm going to call it ER. More likely non-employment for now. I had thought I'd be there before now, long story... work just keeps finding me. I've set my latest exit date 1st quarter next year. This should be just before I hit 54. If I get the terms used here correctly, DW will be non-employed at year end.

Some health issues have just been a slap in the face that made me more focused on what I want to do while I can. Ok, really not that serious, just a pacemaker about 2 years ago.

We have LWBYM for most of our married life. I-ORP and FIRECALC have been run over the last couple years... and they keep laughing at me. Even with adding $10k for ACA health insurance and $10k for cover deductibles, it still works out in the calculations. Estimated % withdraw rate with last years expenses + the 20k above is about 1.5% (and we did a cruise, overseas vacation, and other large (non-typical) expense that year). So, I think I'm in a good position to enter the nest adventure in my life.

We've put off too often. I really want to do things while we can

bingybear

Welcome, bingybear! Sounds like you are indeed ready to pull the trigger.

You'll find lots of like-minded folks here. Just ask and there are plenty who will try and help you avoid further OMY syndrome (One More Year). Doing things while you can is a great reason to say "adios" to w*rk!

Oh, just a pacemaker? Rock on dude!

I really was not trying to be cheeky. I do admit when I was told I needed a pacemaker, I had the worst thoughts in my mind.... end of life as I know it. However, it really hasn't been. Obviously I have the RFI limits that come with the pacemaker. This is something I have to be conscious of with my profession. It limits my heart rate at 150 bpm due to the design of the pacemaker. I have the first one approved that will allow you to get an MRI. When I exert myself to where I need more than 150bpm, I get winded very quickly. However, I can be in the upper 140's and doing just fine. I can hike, backpack, race sailboats, ride bikes, etc. My cardiologist's directions after he installed it was to keep doing whatever I've been doing.

So... just a pacemaker. I admit that I need to save for each replacement. I expect I will blow by my out of pocket maximum when it needs replaced... that is when the battery gets low.

Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours.(Richard Bach)

Welcome ! With a 1.5% WR you are certainly good to go. I love the list of activities you can do - I'd be doing that in a heartbeat (pun intended !). Enjoy the vacations, hiking, backpacking, boating and biking ! I want to hear about your adventures during your non-employment so please don't disappoint me by doing another "one more year" !

All the best to you !

I want to hear about your adventures during your non-employment so please don't disappoint me by doing another "one more year" !
I don't see OMY happening. Long story why, but if I was going to stay OMY, it would be 4MYs. Potential payback would be better.

OMY is not happening.

The magical day has arrived.. FIRED.. I am done and out.

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom