Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Six years and counting--hello from the San Francisco Bay Area
Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Six years and counting--hello from the San Francisco Bay Area

Hello all,

I will quietly lurk, but wanted to introduce myself. I will be turning 49 this month, and plan to retire promptly in six years, when I turn 55. I work in the fiscal office of a K-12 school district as a data wrangler, a high-pressure environment with many demands (which can be quite stressful--especially with the California state and local budget situation of the last few years).

One of the carrots that has kept me at this job is eligibility for employer-paid post-retirement health and dental insurance, from age 55 to 65, for myself and my spouse. Of course, this might be eliminated at any time, but so far it's only been capped, not eliminated.

I'm very much looking forward to retirement, and have a countdown application on my smartphone which I check when I feel especially stressed (2202 days as of this afternoon). I've discussed this with my husband, who says he wants whatever is best for my health and sanity. He and a few of my friends predict I'll be bored within a few months, and soon be working at a new job. I don't think so, though. I have PLENTY of hobbies and interests, and have never defined myself by my job. I joke that I'll have a chance to be a housewife, and surprise him with completed DIY home projects. I plan to retire, take a minimum four-week vacation to de-stress, and then see how my post-work life evolves.

I'm mostly interested in the forum threads that deal with "Life after FIRE", especially the emotional, physical, and mental effects of FIRE. I'm working my way through the archive, gleaning wisdom and refining my plans. It makes me happy to read about others who have achieved--or are actively striving towards--FIRE.

So...hello from the West Coast.
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just wondering if you were impacted by the 'red code' last week...

Now that I see Oakland, probably not
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have just calculated that it is 2000 days to my current projected ER date: March 31, 2017.

2000 days can be converted to one of these units:
  • 172,800,000 seconds
  • 2,880,000 minutes
  • 48,000 hours
  • 285 weeks (rounded down)
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, I am planning to ER at 53 next summer, when DH will retire at 60 with pension.
I am working on my "get a life tree". It is an overview of interests you have had in younger days or might try after retirement.
I have no doubt that there is enough to do, try out, explore and learn after retirement.
Maybe even more meaningful stuff than today.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Indigo Mule.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule View Post
I've discussed this with my husband, who says he wants whatever is best for my health and sanity. He and a few of my friends predict I'll be bored within a few months, and soon be working at a new job.
I predict he will get burned out from work right about when you pull the plug and will regret not getting his own FIRE ducks in a row.