Join Early Retirement Today

So close I'm going blind.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via ICQ to Music
So close I'm going blind.

Hello All

I'm today's new guy on the forum.
I have worked for the US Gov. for 35 years, I'm 56 years old and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. (Hope it's not the train) I am under the old CSRS system and I have also had a TSP account for 20 years.
Things look pretty good if the Feds don't mess with my retirement.
One last thing to accomplish is to get the kid out of college at the end of this year and I'm done with this career.
I'm thinking of something easy for my next 30 years of work. Either becoming a School Crossing Guard or a Greeter at Wallmart, nothing too taxing, or maybe a Professional Vagabond. Time will tell.
Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome. Do you really need to w*rk? How about being a FIRE inspector? Probably don't want to be a blind crossing guard. But seriously, good luck.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome!

I'm a School Crossing Guard, been doing it for almost 5 years and it's a perfect fit. An hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. No hassles like quarterly reports, goals setting, quotas, control freak bosses, back stabbing co-workers, yada yada yada. Yes, we've had a brutal winter but the lovely spring and fall make up for it.

I originally took the job to complete my Social Security Credits after being a stay at home mom for 22 years but I stay with it because it's a job I enjoy with low impact on the rest of my life.

You may have included it with WalMart Greeter as a joke, but us "professional" School Crossing Guards take it quite seriously and cherish our jobs.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Welcome. Do you really need to w*rk? How about being a FIRE inspector? Probably don't want to be a blind crossing guard. But seriously, good luck.
As I said, Bum is an option. MMmmm... I mean a man of leisure.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Welcome!

I'm a School Crossing Guard, been doing it for almost 5 years and it's a perfect fit. An hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. No hassles like quarterly reports, goals setting, quotas, back stabbing co-workers, yada yada yada. Yes, we've had a brutal winter but the lovely spring and fall make up for it.

I originally took the job to complete my Social Security Credits after being a stay at home mom for 22 years but I stay with it because I enjoy it and it's a job with low impact on the rest of my life.

You may have included it with WalMart Greeter as a joke, but us "professional" School Crossing Guards take it quite seriously and cherish our jobs.
No offense intended, I know a few crossing guards. In fact we had a crossing guard in our city that had been retired for many years. He ran the crossing at intersection for so long it got to the point were the local merchants and PTA placed a bench for his use. I believe he kept going until he was 81. He was Loved and Respected for his dedication to protecting children at his crossing. He passed a few years ago, I sure do miss seeing him every morning
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've worked for a number of employers and spent the last 14 years with the Federal Govt. I retired 3 years ago. My husband is retiring March 1st after 34 years working for a local government. We sure understand how you feel right about now.

I do volunteer work and hubby is thinking about doing a little consulting.

Congratulations to you Music. Oh, by the way, are you a musician or a music lover? Lots of us round here love music. Particularly songs that express how we feel. Like this...

Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

Congratulations to you Music. Oh, buy the way, are you a musician or a music lover? Lots of us round here love music. Particularly songs that express how we feel. Like this...
Love Music, Some say I'm a Musician and I own a sound company for live performances. I also do recording and Album production.
YES Music is good.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome, Music! We have plenty of members who are federal employees or federal retirees. I fit into the latter category, though I am FERS, not CSRS.

I am really enjoying my retirement, and those bank deposits from FERS and from the equal monthly payments I chose to get from my TSP, show up like clockwork. I wouldn't worry about the federal government messing with your retirement since you are so close. If your agency has provided any free retirement training seminars, I highly recommend them. Federal retirement is so complicated. I went to these seminars several times and learned a lot.

Congratulations in advance, on your upcoming retirement at the end of the year!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #9

Yep, retired @ 58 in March 08 after 35 years with Uncle Sugar. I was in management mostly and my feeling on retiring was that if I worked I wanted a manual job, nothing that required thinking. "Where do you want this box boss?" I just am tired of management. Younger son is in 4th yr of 5 yr college program in.....music. We al have our challenges, mine is his major, his is, well, ....probably me.
So far things have held up well, investments are back to where they were in 07.
Come on in the waters fine!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. I was so excited, stressed, anxious I developed a case fo the shingles a month before I retired. Got me out a few meetings, though

Do whatever you want. Being a bum ain't so bad. I'm a trout bum. I fish and relax and do whatever I feel like. Good work if you can get it.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
I'm thinking of something easy for my next 30 years of work. Either becoming a School Crossing Guard or a Greeter at Wallmart, nothing too taxing, or maybe a Professional Vagabond. Time will tell.
I can highly recommend being a Professional Porch Sitter (PPS). Today was such a nice day we even had a beer on the porch. I really like retirement!
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome and enjoy the forum !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #13

Hey Music, welcome to the forum. And congrats on your upcoming retirement. I know you'll enjoy both.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #14

Welcome to the forum!

At my former place of employment there were about five of us within three years of retirement eligibility. We gave much discussion to the merits of being a greeter at Wallmart since a major screw-up meant sending someone to the wrong aisle. Nobody would die or go to jail for that.

So for the moment I'm going armed security (retired law enforcement) which, come to think of it, isn't too distant from a Wallmart greeter. Except it pays much better.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So for the moment I'm going armed security (retired law enforcement) which, come to think of it, isn't too distant from a Wallmart greeter.
True:

Woman arrested after pushing 100-year-old Wal-Mart greeter - JSOnline
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
Hello All

I'm today's new guy on the forum.
I have worked for the US Gov. for 35 years, I'm 56 years old and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. (Hope it's not the train) I am under the old CSRS system and I have also had a TSP account for 20 years.
Things look pretty good if the Feds don't mess with my retirement.
One last thing to accomplish is to get the kid out of college at the end of this year and I'm done with this career.
Welcome to the forum.

As soon as you have a date you'll need yourself to the relevant class thread 2011, or 2012. It sounds like you are really close now.