Join Early Retirement Today

Some new guy
Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Some new guy

Just a dude in his mid 40's that has been working steadily since 1990 in the tech industry. Just tired of the rat race. No house, but no debt. Networth is top secret. Divorced, two sons aged 18 and 15 with child support hopefully ending in the next 5 years or so. Saving approximately $850 per month towards the goal of early retirement. Finding it A LOT easier to save money and live frugally without a 'significant other'

I create a cartoon strip in my spare time, partly to de-stress. Made some sales years ago, and hope to re-start that soon!

Here's a video of the late Jack. He never got to retirement...
Attached Files
PastExpiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the strip. I have written a few novels, and one of these days might try to sell a few copies. But for me, it was more about the doing than the selling. And the four years I spent writing them, I was too busy to spend money.

The habit of LBYM can make you feel better than mindless spending. Plus the savings give you comfort you can't find without some kind of safety net. And starting in your mid 40's is still sooner than most.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

I see there is quite the fascination with dryer sheets in this forum. I save money by not buying them.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #4

See http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ets-44456.html
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Love your hamster. Sorry to hear of his untimely demise. That tends to be the way of it with hamsters.

I'm guessing Waterloo Ontario as your location since you say you're in the tech industry. I hope it's not RIM, I heard they just announced more layoffs today. I'm just down the road in Toronto.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a great little video. Welcome to the forum.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hilarious video. I've already shared it.

Ha
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
Love your hamster. Sorry to hear of his untimely demise. That tends to be the way of it with hamsters.

I'm guessing Waterloo Ontario as your location since you say you're in the tech industry. I hope it's not RIM, I heard they just announced more layoffs today. I'm just down the road in Toronto.
Nope, I am not a RIM (aka. Blackberry). I did however survive layoffs last Friday that cut the company I work for by 1/3rd.

Irony.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi PastExpiry,

Welcome to the forum. If you are shy about sharing your net worth info, but need advice at some point which might otherwise require it, you can give a reference number instead. For instance, you might say my NW is 7.6 X my yearly expenses. Or you might say that it would require you to spend 3.5% of NW to meet your expenses, etc. These kinds of figures reveal relatively little, but say a lot about your preparedness for early retirement. As with all things in life, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartoons, frugal life, frugality, investing, retire early