Soon to Be College Graduate from UGA - GO DAWGS

TonySoprano24

Dryer sheet wannabe
Finance major about to graduate in a few weeks hoping to retire early

btw what is considered retiring early (60? 55? 50?)

im shooting for 60

anyways a big howdy from UGA

go dawgs

Technically I guess anything before what the SSA calls "full retirement age" would be retiring early. So for you that'd be under age 67. However, IMHO, to be classified as early retirement your age has to start with a 5 or lower. I hope to retire at age 49 and will not work beyond 59 no matter what.

Welcome, Tony Soprano! :greetings10:

So how old are you now? Early Retirement is relative, the crazy social security people think it's under age 66+.

Howdy, looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Yes I'm 21 and will be 22 by the time I Start investing (august bday)

I guess 50 would be early early anything between 55-60 would be fine and i would consider it "early" retirement

i figure i wont live longer than 85 at the rate im going in my college weekends lol but yeah im in the same window ideally 50 but realistically 55-59 or 60

Welcome, Tone, T, etc.

First step toward early retirement? A job to fund it, for most of us. Do you have something lined up already?

Welcome to the board Dawg54. UGA class of 93 with a BBA in Risk Mgt. Target retirement date of Dec 2012.

Tomcat98

I consider 40-something as an early retirement age. I guess you can say 30's as well. 70 days until my 40-something early retirement.

hey guys yeah i did some number crunching and i think now im leaning more towards 45-50 as a retirement

sounds much better than 60 lol

yeah i most likely have a job lined up around july will let you guys know how it goes

I have a feeling that the definition of "early retirement" will be changing in the next few years given the realities of dying pensions and tanking 401Ks.

I have a feeling that the definition of "early retirement" will be changing in the next few years given the realities of dying pensions and tanking 401Ks.

Don't forget the declining value of the dollar and the fire ants eating your paper assets.

Well here's from another (much older) GA Dawg.
Don't be limited geographically in the beginning of your career.
I worked several years in the cold, cold north before getting a chance to move South again.
Save 10% of your income at all times, paying yourself first.
Stay well diversified and you will have not problems retiring before 60.

yeah thanks ill probably be living with my parents for a year or two so i can save like 25-30% of my income just for retirement in the beginning

Saving early...

yeah thanks ill probably be living with my parents for a year or two so i can save like 25-30% of my income just for retirement in the beginning

If you're going to be living with your folks anyway, and you're motivated
enough to join a retirement forum just out of college, you might consider
going for 50%+ savings if you can.

Here's a guy who's retired and under 35 if you want some motivation.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/about

You're certainly on the right track by coming to this forum.

-LB

Tony, the living with parents game concerns me, I've seen too many guys turn that temporary solution into a permanent lifestyle. Do you have an exit-from-the-parents-house plan? You say one or two years, will your parents give you a push out? All the best.

Here's a guy who's retired and under 35 if you want some motivation.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/about

...I don’t have a driver’s license, I don’t have any debt, I don’t live in a house, I cook everything from scratch, I cut my own hair, I practically never buy new or anything at all for that matter....

Where do you suppose Jacob lives, in a cardboard box? His post cries out for discussion, am I missing something on that site? Where are the comment posts?

Yeah i dont think ill be able to do what this guy has....more power to him but just not my cuppa joe

ho hey!

anyways lol...im not like most people my age where i like to travel over the world and what not

only two places i imagine myself going are vegas and a cruise...both can be had on a budget

as for the living with the parents thing...well i dont wana be bumming off of them for more than a year or so...i was gonna get an apartment in atlanta but my parents are moving into atlanta too so i figured what the hell

i dont think my parents will ever kick me out (difference in culture...from a pakistani background where children usually stay with their parents) but ill definitely kick myself out first haha

I WANT to be on my own definitely maybe even 6 months or so

if I had a job secured i would have gotten my own place but ive got one or two still in the mix and it could take the summer

Anyways this forum rocks i hope im here a while

Where do you suppose Jacob lives, in a cardboard box? His post cries out for discussion, am I missing something on that site? Where are the comment posts?

He and his wife live in an RV.
There is discussion on most of his other posts on his home
page.

Here's another link...

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/about-the-blog

Anyhow, my family can't live like his does either, or save
80% of our income like he did when he was w*rking, but
We do find that his posts make it easier to save
"just" 50% or so of ours by comparison.

Bears thought,
LB

Good morning Mr. Soprano, don't want to show any disrepect to a soprano! You are well on your way because you now have your eyes open to a future goal. No diubt you will make it by fifty! Best of luck in the job market.

He and his wife live in an RV.
There is discussion on most of his other posts on his home
page.

Here's another link...

Thanks, I was annoyed that it took me quite a while to figure that out. Some of our members might be amused that they can find a direct link from that site to MMND.

Hello

Welcome to the forum. My goal is to retire at 54 and my wife will be 60. I would say that is early, but not early enough :).

Back
Top Bottom