Join Early Retirement Today

Soon to retire, on 3-year phase out
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Soon to retire, on 3-year phase out

Having been prompted by MichaelB to post here, I am 66, full career (since age 30) in academe, recently re-married, and I just (in Feb) opted to start phased retirement from my school. This means I will have 1/2 salary paid out over the full (academic) pay cycle, and will teach only in fall 2016, then fall 2017 and finally fall 2018, with retirement to begin as of Aug 2019. I have the option in between any year to choose full retirement (hence, end the phased part) and cease teaching altogether.
I selected this option, on one hand, because I have nearly reached the end of my enthusiasm for my job responsibilities and the institutional decisions that impact my job, so this seems like a good time; and on the other hand, because my wife is not ready to retire (she is 61), so I would like to continue to earn and not dip into retirement funds, nor start Soc Sec, until such a time as we can sync our schedules and goals.
I don't have any specific questions at the moment; I joined the site in order to respond to a specific forum.
CJINTHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good plan. A 3 year "easy" plan where you only work 4 months a year for the next 3 years.

Pretty cool!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote