Join Early Retirement Today

Sorry for not reintroduce myself
Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for not reintroduce myself

I made a few posts today which is every unsually for me as I don't write much. I have been reading this board for the last few months, many times I feel compel to reply but just can't. I will continue to try as I want to contribute as well as learning from this board.

I do want to express my admiration for the regulars here for their insights and wisdom not to mention some of the comments and jokes just crack me up and get me through the day until I ER.

I am the Software Enterpeneur guy with most assets in Real Estate, I joined the board a few months back with a naive question of 'when to retire?', I am 48 years of age, planning to ER in 5 years or less.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sorry for not reintroduce myself
Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
I am the Software Enterpeneur guy with most assets in Real Estate, I joined the board a few months back with a naive question of 'when to retire?',* I am 48 years of age, planning to ER in 5 years or less.
Welcome back, Mach. Looks like a lot of software people are ready to hang it up...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Mach, glad to have you back.

Yup, many of my IT/Software-related friends are scampering to the exit, not wanting to be the guy to turn off the lights.

The heighten rate of technology/systems evolution, increasing complexity of problems to be solved, compressed margins due to overall industry operational efficiencies, and intense competition from outsourcing are just some of the ailments of the field.

My college buddy now charges 1/10th of what his company could charge just 5 yrs ago for web hosting and web publishing services. Imagine McD having to sell Big Macs for a Quarter?*

Its a ruthless, insanely competitive field in high-cost geographies such as North America.

Speech's over. OK Mach, this floor's yours.*
True wealth is not measured by what you have, but is measured by what you don&#039;t need.<br />~ Mahatma Gandhi ~
Under FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under FIRE
Mach, glad to have you back.

Yup, many of my IT/Software-related friends are scampering to the exit, not wanting to be the guy to turn off the lights.

The heighten rate of technology/systems evolution, increasing complexity of problems to be solved, compressed margins due to overall industry operational efficiencies, and intense competition from outsourcing are just some of the ailments of the field.

Amen. Well said!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #5

Don't forget being on call. I'm on call every other week. It sucks. I don't get paged a lot, but I have to stay in the area. It really screws up my weekends for backpacking as I often would be out of range for cell phone coverage.

Also, the weekend and evening work for updating software sucks.

Best of luck with your next five years.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
Don't forget being on call. I'm on call every other week. It sucks. I don't get paged a lot, but I have to stay in the area. It really screws up my weekends for backpacking as I often would be out of range for cell phone coverage.

Also, the weekend and evening work for updating software sucks.

Best of luck with your next five years.
I'm on call this weekend as well!! I can't go with my SO to party tomorrow because I'll be 20 minutes away from a wireless/modem connection. Our system goes down, time is of the essence to resurrect it back to life.

24/7 support for a tier one ERP application stinks! So much for having specialzied technical expertise.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I'm on call this weekend as well!! I can't go with my SO to party tomorrow because I'll be 20 minutes away from a wireless/modem connection. Our system goes down, time is of the essence to resurrect it back to life.

24/7 support for a tier one ERP application stinks! So much for having specialzied technical expertise.
This probably deserves its own topic, but being on call is the single biggest factor driving me to want to FIRE. Not just nights, which are frequent but light for me, but weekends and holidays in particular. I somehow feel that these are my personal times and have increasingly felt "invaded" when duty calls.

It's not the urgent calls for patient care that bug me -- that comes with the territor and the patients are grateful. It's the long hours of dictation, signatures, arguing with administrators about availability of hospital beds, last minute calls for things that could and should have been tended to days or weeks ago, etc.

Won't miss that piece one bit.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm on call this weekend as well!!* I can't go with my SO to party tomorrow because I'll be 20 minutes away from a wireless/modem connection.* Our system goes down, time is of the essence to resurrect it back to life.

24/7 support for a tier one ERP application stinks!* So much for having specialzied technical expertise.
What ERP application ? I'm doing PeopleSoft.

Rich_In_Tampa, many times when I am paged or screw up something at work I remind myself that I am not a doctor and these are not life and death issues I am dealing with. How do you deal with the stress of your job ?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
What ERP application ? I'm doing PeopleSoft.

Same here! I also do all maintenance packs and tax update. :P

Have you had issues with the process scheduler domain BBL dying in production?

Hey, we must chat through PM
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Same here!* I also do all maintenance packs and tax update.* *:P
Me too. We have HR, EPM, CRM and Financials. There are two of us who share the support work. The test and development systems actually take more work than the production. We currently have over 50 servers. I don't do the functional stuff or the OS or DBs just the PeopleSoft admin.

I just took a retirement class with my coworker last Thursday and Friday. I'm a little nervous as she is seven years older than I am and currently qualifies for her pension. I'm trying to talk her into buying a new expensive car.

Less than seven years to go ....
Old 08-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #11

System admin here! Check your inbox.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Rich_In_Tampa, many times when I am paged or screw up something at work I remind myself that I am not a doctor and these are not life and death issues I am dealing with. How do you deal with the stress of your job ?
I'm fortunate to be less subject to stress than most. For sure my job is highly charged with emotions, end-of-life issues, and zero tolerance for error or misjudgment.

For me, there's great difference between stress (underling fails to show up for call duty, nurse gives wrong medication, long lost family member shows up at the midnight hour asking for a complete reversal of plans, etc.) on the one hand, and intensity on the other (dying patient / family with complicated needs, medical emergencies. Long hours also stress me at times.

The intensity is exhausting but not troubling. If you are well-prepared, know when to ask for help, and have decent interactional skills and compassion it is very rewarding and really the core of why I love my profession. The stress, OTOH, is probably alot like yours and all the other's.

Hope that makes a little sense.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #13

"Hope that makes a little sense. "

It does, thank you.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope that those were on call over the weekend didn't get interuption from your weekend activities. I am not officially on the on call list but is literally being on call 24/7 by one of my Clients that won't let me go... They pay well but what a pain. I think I need to read 'Your money or your life', I am sure some one on this board have read it, will you care to comment about it please?

For those that doing software maintenance and administration, can you imagine doing the same on the next generation of software that being developed outside of the US? The software logics and documenations will never be the same.

Dream as if you&#039;ll live forever.&nbsp; Live as if you&#039;ll die today.
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote