spouse considering retirement offer

ranchoparque

Dryer sheet aficionado
Spouse is considering an offer at age 59 that would give her one year of full pay. She has a 401k but no pension. She plans to take SS at 62.
I'm 57 and plan to work at least till 63 and will recieve a govt. pension and have a 401k. My 401k and pension would probably provide about 2/3 of our future total retirement income after 2017.
My question is how to manage withdrawals of my spouse's 401k? Would it make sense to move the lump sum of her 401k into an immediate annuity that would replace some of her income until she starts to receive SS in 3 years? I should state that we have a conservative asset allocation and some of her savings is in CD's paying a paltry interest, so If we could get 6% from an annuity that might be an attractive consideration.
I'm told that we would be able to get a few free sessions with a financial planner through her employer. Any suggestions about what questions to ask the planner?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#1 question to ask the planner:

How do you get paid? Commissions on products you sell me, a fee I pay you, hidden commissions on products you sell me, a % of assets under management?

There are a lot of good planners out there and a lot of not-so-good salespeople hiding behind a planner title. Be careful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom