Join Early Retirement Today

Spouse Older - Retiring Together or Separate
Old 09-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Spouse Older - Retiring Together or Separate

Hi all, first post here (great forum btw). So my DW is 63, and I am 55. She will be retiring next year as her position will be eliminated at megacorp (and she is ready).

Financially, we have no debt (house and cars are paid off, kids are grown, etc.), and about 16X expenses in savings (does not include home).

When I run FIRECALC and my Fidelity retirement calculator the "soonest" I can retire (at current expenses) is probably 60 or 61 (note: assumes our decent SS benefits)...at which point my wife will be almost 70.

Obviously, I've been aware of our age differences for well, the entire time - LOL! I am, however, now even more keenly aware that we will be enjoying a lot less of retirement "together" depending on how long I wait....minimally, it will likely mean enjoying a lot less of the HEALTHY years together. DW already had one bout with cancer (fine now), but...

Anyway, my question to you folks is would you just ride out the plan to try to get to current expense levels or (perhaps knowing what you know now), or would you reduce your standard of living and try to make it happen earlier.

I know this is really only something I can decide, but am interested in your perspectives as I'm sure some of you have "been there" (admittedly, the age delta is usually reversed).

Thanks - tbis
tbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum. It's all a matter of your budget, and what sources of income you have. I assume SS is available for your wife. Any other income like pension? Take your budget (fixed and discretionary together) and figure out how much you need. Determine what you need to withdraw from savings. Don't forget taxes and health insurance in the budget. If the numbers work, you can retire. If not, then you may need to work more. How much more is again dependent on your budget. The good thing is you have no debt, so total budget needs are lower.

The 16x number is means that you are facing a potential approx 6% withdrawal rate. Which is a little steep for long term. But with her SS and your SS in future, plus any other income sources outside of savings, you might be OK with an initial withdrawal rate around 6%, assuming it will be reduced once additional income becomes available.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Is it possible to move to a lower cost of living (LCOL) area without impacting your lifestyles? It is one way to reduce expenses.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Moving is possible, but probably not materially far away as our extended families, kids, etc. are all in the immediate area (tough to leave them!). Realistically, I think 57 is the soonest I would pull the trigger just to get DW to Medicare.

Fortunately, our incomes have been similar enough that our SS benefits are also very similar (mine is about $200/mo more at any given same age point). As an aside, opensocialsecurity.com's recommendation is she draw at 70 with me at 62.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"at current expenses".... we don't know if thay are 50K or 200K...is there any room for trimming without feeling squeezed? Go over them with a fine tooth comb, if you want to share that's your call.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Current expenses, including taxes, are $165K (actually closer to $138K this past "covid" year, but I consider that an anomaly) - . No pensions. Just savings and SS. There is room for trimming, but it is stuff like vacations...which, of course, we had hoped to enjoy in retirement.

My question is as much about making the standard of living sacrifice for TIME together...I've certainly read the time>money mantra here on the forum often enough...although typically posted by folks with plenty of the latter!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #7

Have you idenitifed discretionary expenses and what they amount to? If you can trim that amount, does it bring your savings to closer to say 20 to 25 times your expenses? If you have a large discretionary spending, you may have more leeway to make retirement work for both of you.

We retired at the same time because my husband wanted to be done... I was only 53. I turned my IRA into deferred income annuities to ensure that we have another source of guaranteed income when I turn 60. I felt that we had not saved enough but we could make do. We do spend quite a bit more than most retirees. For now, we have not had to cut back on our lifestyle and spend more now than when we were working. If we need to cut back, we will.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbis View Post
Current expenses, including taxes, are $165K (actually closer to $138K this past "covid" year, but I consider that an anomaly) - . No pensions. Just savings and SS. There is room for trimming, but it is stuff like vacations...which, of course, we had hoped to enjoy in retirement.

My question is as much about making the standard of living sacrifice for TIME together...I've certainly read the time>money mantra here on the forum often enough...although typically posted by folks with plenty of the latter!

Your last paragraph isn't true..plenty of money means different things to different people..

If you say you can't cut expenses then you need to keep working. It's one or the other. Post more specific numbers if you can stand the heat
Old 09-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #9

OP, what about some combination of:
1) "modest" trim of planned spending levels
2) you continue to work to age 58 or 59, rather than 60 or 61
3) pursue some part-time work after age 58 or 59 with enough free time to enjoy some vacations and travel.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We're in a similar situation as you. I've retired already and am telling my spouse to go part-time now or start a hobby job that's more flexible. Our expenses are low.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 AM   #11

We retired at age 55 and 61, 8 years ago.
Best decision ever and some health challenges show that future is never predictable. We won't get into better shape than now.

So far we live off DH's pension and savings.
We have decided to let my pension grow till I am 65,5.
But: we had taken notes of our spending since decades and were confident that regular expenses could be met from DH's pension alone.
It worked out fine so far.

I'd recommend to go through your financial data with a fine comb and in writing, maybe try to live for a year on your projected future income + 4% of savings with you still working and get a feeling for it.

Then jump and enjoy!
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, based on what you wrote, you either need to work until the money is there, or you need to really check your expenses to cut the costs to meet the income you would have next year when you wife retires, if you wish to retire at the same time.
What do yo want to do?

If you feel comfortable sharing your savings/budget/expenses, many folks here are willing to review and offer suggestions.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I appreciate the advise all and clearly my next step is to flag my mandatory vs. discretionary expenses. Indeed, the definitions for what is REALLY mandatory vs. discretionary is where the rubber will meet the road. Is "tree trimming" by a TREE SERVICE mandatory...or do I buy a chainsaw/ladder/rope and do it myself? That's a bit more extreme example, but you get the idea...one man's mandatory could be another's discretionary.

Certainly, the mandatory includes the usual suspects:

- Income/capital gains Taxes (virtually every dollar we get will be taxable..ugh, wish I had pursued Roths years ago at some level)
- Property taxes (no income tax here in Texas, but property taxes are brutal)
- Tithing (not mandatory for many, but we willingly do it)
- Home maintenance (even though I do a lot, but not all)
- Auto maintenance (done mostly by me)
- Insurance (life, home, auto, health, etc.)
- Utilities

It never ceases to amaze me at how much a "paid off" house costs.

You get the idea...time to tackle that discretionary list!

I'm also seeing this isn't binary (i.e. split the difference, maybe live on "less" the first few years and then start drawing more a bit later, etc.). Really appreciate the feedback so far.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OP quit stalling and show us your numbers... Yes I'm yanking your chain but if you want real feedback that's what you need. We'll help you tackle it. Or you want to stay at work that's fine too.

Your tree trimming example in nothing if not disingenuous... how much do you spend on tree trimming a year?
Old 09-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:
I appreciate the advise all and clearly my next step is to flag my mandatory vs. discretionary expenses. Indeed, the definitions for what is REALLY mandatory vs. discretionary is where the rubber will meet the road. Is "tree trimming" by a TREE SERVICE mandatory...or do I buy a chainsaw/ladder/rope and do it myself? That's a bit more extreme example, but you get the idea...one man's mandatory could be another's discretionary.

Certainly, the mandatory includes the usual suspects:

- Income/capital gains Taxes (virtually every dollar we get will be taxable..ugh, wish I had pursued Roths years ago at some level)
- Property taxes (no income tax here in Texas, but property taxes are brutal)
- Tithing (not mandatory for many, but we willingly do it)
- Home maintenance (even though I do a lot, but not all)
- Auto maintenance (done mostly by me)
- Insurance (life, home, auto, health, etc.)
- Utilities

I'm also seeing this isn't binary (i.e. split the difference, maybe live on "less" the first few years and then start drawing more a bit later, etc.). Really appreciate the feedback so far.
For us, everything is mandatory except for 2 items which we consider discretionary although we are not ready to give up on either one, yet. The 2 items are travel - we travel about 3 months a year, and our country club golf membership and golfing alot when we travel to golf destinations. We dine out alot but much less than we were working, and we consider that mandatory in our books.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Like you say, Texas is tough on property taxes, but otherwise is not a high COL place.

It sounds as if you are into the country club life and into that much of your travel is to golfing vacations. Dining out a lot is mandatory to maintaining your lifestyle.

My wife and I live in ultra low cost of living Alabama. We have a Robert Trent Jones yacht and country club within eyesight of our home, however we are not members. We have two Robert Trent Jones public courses on our street that we can play reasonably. And they're as good of golf courses as there are anywhere. We eat out, not dine. And even then it's just about once per week. We love to cook.

We find that bottom line travel is $250 a night--paying close attention to what we eat and where we stay. I'd hate to think how much 3 months a year away from home would add up to. Our friends rent condo's on the Gulf Coast, but we go to Europe for 2 weeks for the same spent. (And we're leaving in 10 days.)

I'm sorry, but your lifestyle may not allow you to fully retire without substantially reducing your cost of living. And many people just don't have that much change in them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Like you say, Texas is tough on property taxes, but otherwise is not a high COL place.

It sounds as if you are into the country club life and into that much of your travel is to golfing vacations. Dining out a lot is mandatory to maintaining your lifestyle.

My wife and I live in ultra low cost of living Alabama. We have a Robert Trent Jones yacht and country club within eyesight of our home, however we are not members. We have two Robert Trent Jones public courses on our street that we can play reasonably. And they're as good of golf courses as there are anywhere. We eat out, not dine. And even then it's just about once per week. We love to cook.

We find that bottom line travel is $250 a night--paying close attention to what we eat and where we stay. I'd hate to think how much 3 months a year away from home would add up to. Our friends rent condo's on the Gulf Coast, but we go to Europe for 2 weeks for the same spent. (And we're leaving in 10 days.)

I'm sorry, but your lifestyle may not allow you to fully retire without substantially reducing your cost of living. And many people just don't have that much change in them.
You are probably referring to me and not the OP. We are fully retired.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I live on about .75 acre of hilly forest in the northern (but ITP) suburbs of Atlanta; in the last 15 years we’ve spent maybe $6k total on tree work (I hire it all out). It’s an inconsequential expense. Since it’s the example that comes to your mind, I wonder if your house and property aren’t pretty big. You don’t actually have to move to Alabama; could you downsize locally and both reduce expenses and convert some of your existing home equity into spendable funds?

Personally, I’d be reluctant to plan to spend less in my 60s. These are probably the healthiest years we have left. But we spend our discretionary funds on travel (when we can). Maybe it doesn’t matter if your discretionary spending is on more sedentary pursuits.

Anyway, I feel like I should answer your basic question. We were not willing to trade an earlier retirement for a decrease in our standard of living; our cash flow in retirement is greater than it was when we were both employed (but my spouse and I are the same age; we may not feel the press of time quite the same way you do). However, like almost everyone on an early retirement board, we wouldn’t trade years of retirement for the benefits working longer would provide. I’d love to have that condo in Honolulu (and Luzern for that matter) but not nearly enough to keep at it to save a couple million more. So we stay with my family when we go to Hawaii.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
You say you have zero debt and spend $165K/yr. Wow! I have a big mortgage, one car payment (@ 0%), go on mutiple vacations per year (Just got back from a week of SCUBA in Roatan) and only spend $135K. W/o a mortgage and car payment we would have an additional $45k in our pockets each year. Can't even imagine 165 with no debt.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

With the age difference I would definitely cut some of the fat and both retire so you can enjoy time together.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote