Join Early Retirement Today

Starting young
Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Starting young

I do not know what qualifies as early, but My goal has been 55. I have a decent 503c program with my current employer, a pension that should kick in at 55 from the Military, a pension from another employer I can collect, my house will be paid off as 51, and my youngest child is 10 going on 11 years old. I plan to start a hobby job when I retire to prevent rusting up, and fading away.
Half elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Starting young
Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like a noble goal to me. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Half elf! Sounds like a good plan, but you might find plenty to do without a "hobby job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half elf
a pension that should kick in at 55 from the Military
I'm not aware of any military pensions that kick in at age 55, although there's been a lot of effort at a Reserve version of that. Can you tell me more about yours?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! What is a 503c program?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #5

I am currently a Air Force reservist, and they are attempting to stagger the retirement collection age based on years of service. 20yrs would equal 60 as a collection time all the way down to 30+yrs collecting at 55. I have 23yrs including 10yrs ao active duty right now, and am only 41yrs old, so 30yrs is a real easy goal for me to see. I know they havent done this yet, but something must be done for the reserves or they are going to lose the middle managment structure becuase of the increased tempo of deployments. A 503c is the tax deffered program open to county workers where I am employed, similar to 410K with no match.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm not aware of any military pensions that kick in at age 55, although there's been a lot of effort at a Reserve version of that. Can you tell me more about yours?
If civilian federal can start at 55 (with 30 years of service; and it does), then surely federal military can?
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am currently a Air Force reservist, and they are attempting to stagger the retirement collection age based on years of service. 20yrs would equal 60 as a collection time all the way down to 30+yrs collecting at 55. I have 23yrs including 10yrs ao active duty right now, and am only 41yrs old, so 30yrs is a real easy goal for me to see.
The Navy Reserve has been seeing a huge wave of retirements & IRR transfers... right after the members completed their one-year mobilization to the desert to backfill the burned-out Army & AF reservists.

Quote:
I know they havent done this yet, but something must be done for the reserves or they are going to lose the middle managment structure becuase of the increased tempo of deployments.
Now that Rumsfeld is gone there might be a chance to pass this proposal on what, its sixth try? His comment on the legislation was "I'm over 70. Why in the world would anyone want to retire at 55?" That was one of his few questions that he didn't answer for himself...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm currently a reservist (Air Force) who will have 30 yrs service time in a couple of months. Since I'm a military technician/civil servant, I can't retire from either civil service or the reserves until 2013. I haven't heard anything about this tiered retirement proposal, where can I find some info on it? When I retire from the reserves in 2013, I'll be 55 & as it stands now, I won't be able to start collecting my military retirement until age 60, five years later.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

It is interesting how many reservists are on this board. It must be a personality type that can appreciate the value of reserve service and retirement. I have 8 years active and 20 reserve, still drilling.

Here's the latest information on reserve retirement at 55.

http://capwiz.com/afa/issues/bills/?bill=7522531

It has been borderline for several years. I have been sending letters to my representatives for years to recognize the increased sacrifices of reservists.

Unfortuantely, the last six years have seen Congress spending money like drunken sailors (it takes one to know one) and there is never enough to take care of our own.

Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Lowering Reservist Retirement Age

Sen. Jon S. Corzine, D-N.J., on March 16 introduced legislation lowering the National Guard and Reservist retirement age from 60 to 55. This modification brings the retirement age for reservists down to the federal civil servant retirement age, as was intended when the reservist retirement age was set fifty years ago Corzine said. His bill has been endorsed by the Reserve Officers Association, Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Military Officers Association of America, the Air Force Sergeants Association, the Air Force Association, the Retired Enlisted Association, the Fleet Reserve Association, the Naval Reserve Association, and the National Guard Association.
I know this is dated, but I have 6yrs AD Navy, 4yr AD Army, 5.75yr Army reserves, and almost 7yr Air Force Reserves. I am only 41 soon yo be 42, and looking forward to retiring at 55. I wish the powers that be would honor their commitments with the people who enable them to live in the freedom's they take for granted.
I should climb off my soap box now, before I get rowdy, but sometimes I feel a little abused by the same people who give the orders.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I should climb off my soap box now, before I get rowdy, but sometimes I feel a little abused by the same people who give the orders.
I had to respond to this one, since I've "been there". Unlike you, I only spend 4 years (A.F.) but I still remember my "re-up talk" in '71 (I had 4 years in, been in Nam, and was an E5).

My answer to all the "good stuff" was that "they" (meaning the A.F.) had so many good reasons to stay, I just did not know what to do...

My answer? I told them I'd flip a coin in the air... If it stayed there, I would re-up...

Needless to say, at this time I can confirm it was the "right" decision to make - to leave the military.

Not to down you guys/gals that "stay the course" (God bless you). It just wasen't for me (and my young family).

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote