Join Early Retirement Today

Stop the world, I wanna get off! I'm FIRE'd UP...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Stop the world, I wanna get off! I'm FIRE'd UP...

Greetings gang...

Came accross the forum a few weeks back at an appropriate time. My last day of work is Friday and I am an official "ER" at 48. Been a wage slave for 34 years and finally decided I have enuf :.

I have enjoyed a lot of the posts...a very informed and educated group for sure! Been contemplating early retirement for a while. Almost bought some property and a business 3 years ago (in Punta Gorda before the devastating hurricane hit). For some reason I kept hitting a brick wall (divine intervention). Always been sorta lucky.

Most of my work life, I've been in the restaurant management business and ended up in an operations position with a start up CCRC (continuing care retirement community). Gained a lot of wisdom from the experience, too. Since I escaped that nightmare (ripping off senior's...the worse kinda sin),* I have been dabbling in P & C insurance sales (semi-retired). Tired of the insurance game and corporate politics, I decided to call it quits and start living again.

Been with a financial planner for some years. Always saved more than I made and lived below my means (without sacrificing the fancy cars, world travel and fancy restaurants). Being single helped out a lot, no kids, sacrificed the meaningful for the material I guess. Not good. Content with my station in life, I supplemented work with church and mentoring kids for a while. Tried to make the world a little better as best I could.

Been debt-free most of my life...I now sold everything! Let go of all the material stuff, the condo is up for sale and I am ready to move on. Heading to a warmer climate, tired of Michigan winter's, perhaps Arizona or New Mexico (Maybe Panama at some point, Pagar!) Did the FIRECalc and feel comfortable with a 100% success rate. Gonna rollover my 401K money and put it into Vanguard with the low expense ratios...(Thanks for all the TIPS).

Will be renting for a while (on what I currently pay on property taxes and condo fees* ) Was sued by the condo for installing a waterfall and pond in my courtyard (without express written permission, albeit all 82 co owners have "modified" their courtyards to their own liking!...bitter politics Letting go of the past...

...and looking forward to the future!

Appreciate all the help and support I can get! Feeling a bit of angst, but been a good kid (decided long ago I will never grow up!)

I am looking forward to the forum...
acg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Stop the world, I wanna get off! I'm FIRE'd UP...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hello acg. Welcome to this virtual disfunctional online funny farm the forum.

Congratulations on getting to FIRE before 50. A very nice accomplishment.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the Welcome...

(OH NO! Not more dysfunction!)*

I guess all families are dysfunctional to some degree. Here's a saying which I came across that got my attention:

"If you keep looking at the past, you're life is HISTORY!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ...looking forward to whatever lies ahead,

and more words of wisdom.

acg

Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

acg,

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here...hope you like it.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome acg! It was a very enjoyable read! I hope it's been as good to live!

Congrats on leaving Friday, and the new adventures ahead!

kate
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost a week in ER and all is good.

The last day at work came and gone just as many posters have experienced. A surreal day, some anxiety, all the good-bye's, the exit interview (what a joke!) and the final stripping of the ID badge (as if you are a traitor and no longer welcome back!)

Getting adjusted well, the sense of freedom is amazing, a whole new beginning. I suppose there is a grieving process, not for the loss of a job, or co-workers, but rather of the workplace environment (and routine) itself. Time to get over it for sure...as we are all just a number anyway. It is not about losing a job, rather gaining one's independence.

I would rather live life on my own terms...especially when my number is finally called!

Time to start living again!* 8)

(Not quite ready to get off the ole dirtball just yet!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg
Almost a week in ER and all is good.

The last day at work came and gone just as many posters have experienced. A surreal day, some anxiety, all the good-bye's, the exit interview (what a joke!) and the final stripping of the ID badge (as if you are a traitor and no longer welcome back!)
Sort of reminds me of the TV show Branded.

"All but one man died, there at Bitter Creek.
And they say he ran away.

Branded, scorned as the one who ran.
What do you do when you’re branded,
And you know you’re a man

Wherever you go, for the rest of your life
You must prove, you’re a man. Branded!"

Old 10-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Sort of reminds me of the TV show Branded.
I was thinking of that, too.* At the start of each show they rip off the badge or medals or something.* Then they throw the sword out the gate of the fort, and the guy walks out.

I have very vague memories of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Branded.jpg (7.9 KB, 251 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Branded.jpg_thumb (31.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

48 is an awesome age for ER. still young enouh IMHO to really enjoy life before you get "old"
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

congrats on the ER!

I am just ending my third week of ER so that last day "branded" feeling is still in my mind. My husband compared my last several days on the job to being "Dead Man (or woman)in this case) Walking" People treat you different, no additional projects coming in, etc. It was amazing how many people young and old started confessing to me how much they hated Mega Corp and wish they could retire early too.

THis week was really the first week I go to be really lazy. THe first two weeks were looking for a new home and going to a funeral. I must say I was REALLY lazy this week and it felt great.

Enjoy your new freedom.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH retired October 18th and he has been one happy camper. He states he doesn not miss working one iota. He does state I am pushing too hard on the projects I want done around the house! -- all those projects he promised to get started on when he retired. I told him to take 'today off'... and get out of the house. It still feels a bit strange as I head off to work in the morning and DH is home all day.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

I was thinking of that, too. At the start of each show they rip off the badge or medals or something. Then they throw the sword out the gate of the fort, and the guy walks out.

I have very vague memories of that.
actually, they break the sword in half and throw both halves out in the sand. Then the guy (I think Chuck Connors) picks up the half with the handle and looks at it with disbelief.

Personally, I think I'm wielding half the sword while working, and maybe I'll get the a whole sword to wield once I ER.

Considers yourselves lucky...I have this bad quality of remembering nearly every add-jingle and TV show theme that I was exposed to as a child. I can drive people nuts singing them....

"I'm Tom Terrific....great adventure-lover" never mind....
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Well around here it is more like F Troop. :P

I feel like I am the only one around here with a full sword (or a full deck for that matter ).