Strange First Steps

2 Months

Well it's now been two months since I retired. One week after retiring my old company announced it was phasing health care out for all retirees. 3 weeks after retiring my old company announced that it was ending any future contributions to their retirement fund but would make up the difference by raising the 'matching' 401K contribution by 1 to 2 percent (so generous ;o). Recently the company was taken off of the NYSE for failure to maintain a price over a dollar and failure to maintain market cap over 25 mill. Now trading on the Pink List at about 25 cents. The good news is that the check for the lump sum cleared!

Bottom line - besides asking my wife to marry me this was the best decision I ever made. We moved to another state -- to a very small town in the mountains. My wife is one of the town Dr's now so the health care thing isn't an issue. My stress levels are 1/5th of what they used to be, I sleep better, I'm losing weight since I no longer 'stress eat' and I continue to watch my old peers leap off the burning ship one by one. I now have the opportunity to be a house hubbie as long as I want to and look after our younger daughter.

I don't miss the old life for one second ;O)

Outstanding. I'm so glad that you made the right choice. Your family will appreciate the "new you", as well, from my experience.

The burning question remains.

... so what was the name of the old company?

-CC

Decided to cash out some to pay off all bills

I did a little of that when I switched Megacorps a few years ago. Sure was painful at tax time.
At 50 years old why not look for a new gig and pay those bills.

David, I too took the lump sum bait. In my case, 55 age, about $5300 pension and $263K severance pkg. Stock options are in the tank but should come back. Toughest part for me is the sudden change of plans but yet must say tired of the grind and insanity at work. I think we should consider ourselves very fortunate, be careful with future investments and live life!

Back
Top Bottom