Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Suddenly Semi-Retired at 48
Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Suddenly Semi-Retired at 48

I'm so glad to have found this forum last week, as I find myself suddenly semi-retired at the age of 48. I say "suddenly" because I had no definite plan to retire when this year started. However, I was becoming increasingly unhappy with upper management, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I reached the end of my tolerance.

So by May, I had reached a point that I dreaded going to my job of 22 years. Strong stock market returns had me running the numbers to see if I could join my husband in retirement. However, concerns over the future of affordable health insurance had me too scared to commit to retirement. I figured I would need to quit and get another full-time job simply for the health insurance. However fate intervened in July, and out of no where, I had a job offer for a part-time job with paid health insurance. I instantly knew in my heart that semi-retirement was the right move for me. July 18th, I let my boss know that I would be retiring September 29th. I started my new part-time job October 2nd and I am already so much happier.

While I am 48, my husband is 70 and has been retired since 2011. Our taxable and retirement accounts total just under $1 mil. We own our home and have no other debt. My part-time income and hubby's SS and RMD covers our living expenses, so we should be able to let our investments continue to grow until I decide to take the leap into full retirement.

I'm sure I will learn many tips from those of you who have already achieved FIRE.
FrugalLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

This extra time with your husband will be worth so much to you, and it's not something you're guaranteed to get if you worked full time to your "traditional" retirement age . Enjoy.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like you found a great way to bridge the time between your old full time job and full retirement. Welcome to the forum.

I also did the part-time work for about 1 year before retiring. It was at my same job, just less days/week. But the important thing was I maintained the health insurance. That was my main reason to continue working.

Coincidentally, I also called myself part-time retired instead of part-time working.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you two have a great plan. I wish both of you a happy retirement togather.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
This extra time with your husband will be worth so much to you, and it's not something you're guaranteed to get if you worked full time to your "traditional" retirement age . Enjoy.
Thank you! Age definitely played a factor in my decision. I've had too many family members die in their 60's and early 70's. I don't want to have any regrets about not spending more time with hubby when I had the chance.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Sounds like you found a great way to bridge the time between your old full time job and full retirement. Welcome to the forum.

I also did the part-time work for about 1 year before retiring. It was at my same job, just less days/week. But the important thing was I maintained the health insurance. That was my main reason to continue working.

Coincidentally, I also called myself part-time retired instead of part-time working.
It's pretty sad that so many people who would gladly retire are forced to continue working simply for health insurance. I'm not sure how long I will continue with the part-time gig. I guess we'll see what happens to the ACA and go from there. Right now, I am enjoying my new gig. I especially like that every weekend is a 3 day weekend.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Sounds like you found the perfect solution to an unfortunate situation. I'd love a good part-time job with health insurance. I'm not looking to totally retire, mostly because I need the health insurance, but also because I could use a little more money to be able to sleep soundly at night when I retire. But, I don't need a lot of money and would like to spend some time doing things other than working. Your situation sounds great.
NomDeER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
+1

I am also currently semi-retired and get to spend 4 days a week with DW. Her health is declining so every extra day we spend together is great and worth way more to me than gold.

Also, for your own sake, it is good you are out of that unenjoyable job. Stress is a killer and reducing it will be good for your own health (mental and physical)

Cheers !
Old 10-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDeER View Post
Congratulations! Sounds like you found the perfect solution to an unfortunate situation. I'd love a good part-time job with health insurance. I'm not looking to totally retire, mostly because I need the health insurance, but also because I could use a little more money to be able to sleep soundly at night when I retire. But, I don't need a lot of money and would like to spend some time doing things other than working. Your situation sounds great.
I am still amazed how it all fell together for me. As I'm sure you know, good PT jobs with health insurance are hard to come by. I knew I would regret it if I passed up this opportunity. I think this will be a great way to ease into full retirement. I hope you get the opportunity to semi-retire. It really is a great option if you get the chance.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

Welcome FrugalLady and congrats on scoring your ladder over the wall! PT with health seems perfect for you. I'm sure your husband will be happy to have you home more. I know my wife and I are ecstatic still, some two and a half years later, that I retired and that we can spend time together doing what we want. Best of luck.

-BB
Old 10-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Congratulations!
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on things working out for you. Welcome to the site. I retired suddenly going on three years now. The people's knowledge and information on this site have been very helpful mentally and financially to me.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote