Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Suffering from Burnout - Can I FIRE?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I made the leap of faith and today was my last day. Came in late, turned in my badge, and flamed the HR rep at my exit interview. Boy did that feel good Actually I was quite well behaved, objective and honest. I assumed that since they were asking me all these questions they wanted real answers. I then delivered letters to the CEO and CFO stating several observations and concerns about certain aspects of operations. No whinning, just very carefully written statement of facts. I doubt they will take any action, but you never know.

I then went around to say goodbye to a few people and left. The balance of the day was magnificent especially when I reaized I don't have to go fishing tomorrow when it's raining, I can wait until Monday when it's going to be sunny!!!!!!!!

I am still so stunned it's 3 AM and I am too excited to sleep. Plenty of time for that later!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Outstanding Blue hero! It has been intersting to read your saga. It seems like all megacorps are getting more intense-my company sure has. Several of my old college buddies and I got together recently and the feedback that I received from them was the same - work harder w/ less compensation/perks and recognition.

CONGRATULATIONS! Life has restarted for you, detox, rest and enjoy!!!
Reading this forum has really made me reconsider my plan to wait until year-end to retire........I may have a new post in the near future as well!
Thanks for sharing your exit story -
Old 06-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yo, Blue,

Quote:
Actually I was quite well behaved, objective and honest.
Glad you went out with class. You will fell better about it forever. Honest.

Ed
Old 06-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh it's a beautiful thing isn't it?

It's so cool when you come to realize that there really is life after work and the world keeps on spinning and everything.

Welcome to the club!

Old 06-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on finding the exit to Socrates' Cave.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #66
Administrator

Old 06-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

I thought Plato wrote down what Socrates said. I definitely could be wrong. I admit I never look up anything before I post, just pulling as best I can from memory!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

By the way, for those of you who were interested, my former employer was in fact Tektronix.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bluehero

Enjoy the next phase of your life ..
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations and welcome to the ranks of the woefully underemployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehero
I doubt they will take any action, but you never know.
Based on the senior management I know, it'll take until their second drink after work to forget about it, decide its just sour grapes, or rationalize it away.

Any which way...it doesnt matter anymore! Woo hoo!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Blue,

You've made it my friend. Congrats and good riddance to Tektoxics ....

Take time to decompress, resist the temptation to peek into the deep dark cesspool of your old w*rk silo, recalibrate your life bearings, regain your true inner soul and enjoy life a day at a time.

Once you're immersed in your myriad of new activities, your previous life at Tektoxics would be but an obscure memory, hitherto key w*rkplace people will dissipate from your consciousness faster than you think. *After a while, the whole Tektoxics gang and saga would just be an irritating footnote in your life journey .... not worthy of your time or attention.

Recently, I bumped into a hot shot Class 1 toxic-spewing axxhxle from the old MegaCorp. I was amazed that this pathetic blob of decomposing biomass wasted many years of my life on issues of zero significance to this planet. I had this feeling of bittersweet rage and sadness tinged with incredulity (...you know, the Mona Lisa constipated expression) to the grim realisation that this perverse mutation of primate evolution somehow played a role in distracting me from many of life's simple pursuits and pleasures over the years. This person scurried away into oblivion before I could coil my torso to launch a nice drop kick to the soft breadbasket. *

Sadly, this lost soul and its kind will continue to spew and digest their own BS slurry to the still captive j*bslaves at the old MegaCorp gulag for some time.

Of course, the toil and drudgery will ultimately end for everyone either by disciplined self-planning and design (like many of us here) or via the decisions and machinations of others (downsizing, insolvency, etc.). * *

Anyway, I salute you.

Good luck and much happiness in your exciting new life experience. *

True wealth is not measured by what you have, but is measured by what you don&#039;t need.<br />~ Mahatma Gandhi ~
Under FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under FIRE
I was amazed that this pathetic blob of decomposing biomass wasted many years of my life on issues of zero significance to this planet.
I didn't realize you knew my old manager

Seriously folks, I do want to thank EVERYONE in this forum for helping set me free. Through intelligent playful banter and genuine concern, this community has helped turn me from a timid lurker into a bold man of action!!!! And subsequently a man of inaction (at least during the detox period ).

I found ESRBob's book and commentary to be especially useful in confirming that I had done an adeqate job of planning and risk management. For those who haven't read it, it's an easy read that is neither preachy nor overly technical. It clearly presents all the issues(positive and negative) in a organized and objective manner and let's you decide if you're ready.

Boy was I ready! I volentarily got up @ 5:00 this morning just so I could see the sunrise and hear the birds chirp. That's just toooooo wierd!!!

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:31 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehero
Boy was I ready! I volentarily got up @ 5:00 this morning just so I could see the sunrise and hear the birds chirp. That's just toooooo wierd!!!
Naaahhh, that's not wierd. Just one of the symptoms of early stage ER! It's commonly referred to as "excited to be alive!"

Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #74
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

The next phase of ER is when you no longer bother looking at Dilbert strips, as they are now totally irrelevant!

Congrats!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
The next phase of ER is when you no longer bother looking at Dilbert strips, as they are now totally irrelevant!

Congrats!
Why? They are even more amusing (in a perverted sense) than they were when I was working.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #76
Developer of FIRECalc

Maybe it was just me. About a year after I left, seeing Dilbert strips was about as interesting as conversations on finding a better job. :P A few years later they became fun again.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe it was just me. About a year after I left, seeing Dilbert strips was about as interesting as conversations on finding a better job. :P A few years later they became fun again.
I'm a year into retirement and Dilbert is still humorous at times. On the other hand, the TV show "The Office" is like watching people get tortured. Not only is it not funny, it's downright painful to watch. :P

Old 06-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'm a year into retirement and Dilbert is still humorous at times.* On the other hand, the TV show "The Office" is like watching people get tortured.* Not only is it not funny, it's downright painful to watch. :P
The most fun of all is e-mailing the first to your (working) spouse and tape-recording the second for her to watch at the end of the workday...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #79
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Quote:
I'm a year into retirement and Dilbert is still humorous at times.* On the other hand, the TV show "The Office" is like watching people get tortured.* Not only is it not funny, it's downright painful to watch. :P
The most fun of all is e-mailing the first to your (working) spouse and tape-recording the second for her to watch at the end of the workday...
Divorce is rough on the ER plans...

Old 06-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Quote:
Divorce is rough on the ER plans...
The heck with divorce, homicide is even rougher!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote