Sundays, cigarettes and Firecalc

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Recent thread about Sundays reminded me to count mine and use that number rather than the number of days left to 12/31 and freedom. 10 sounds pretty manageable!

Other milestone is 8 weeks without a cigarette after 42 years of the damn things.. it can be done!!! woo hoo!!

Does anyone else who is fairly close get a kick out of continuing to run FireCalc over and over just to 'see' that magic 100% number one more time?

I know there are no guarantees, but it's kinda fun...

Cheers everyone! Tomorrow is Sunday! :dance:

Other milestone is 8 weeks without a cigarette after 42 years of the damn things.. it can be done!!! woo hoo!!

Congratulations! You're well over the hump now.

Wow, may you enjoy another 42 years nicotine free.

We used to run FIREcalc frequently after the smartest person I know told us about it, and I would tell DH, "here's how much more money we need to save for retirement. $0. Yay!" Sometimes things just work out.

Congratulations on both numbers. Yep I spent many hours with RIP and Firecalc.

MRG

Congratulations on being smoke free ! I quit 5 years ago and never looked back. I used Chantix for the first four weeks. For me it as a miracle drug. I felt as if I had never been a smoker. I now think about how I'm not sending a couple of thousand dollars a year up in smoke ! Hang in there when the urges strike (and they may). Remember NOPE (not one puff, ever !).

10 Sundays .... pretty great feeling I'm sure ! Congrats on your upcoming freedom :)

Recent thread about Sundays reminded me to count mine and use that number rather than the number of days left to 12/31 and freedom. 10 sounds pretty manageable!

Does anyone else who is fairly close get a kick out of continuing to run FireCalc over and over just to 'see' that magic 100% number one more time?

I know there are no guarantees, but it's kinda fun...

Cheers everyone! Tomorrow is Sunday! :dance:

Minus the cigarettes, this was sort of MY story - except I started counting down the YEARS - not Sundays. I think I started at 14 years pre-ER. Sad, eh? Then at about 10 years, I switched to months - they count down pretty slowly too. Then at maybe 5 years, I switched to weeks - they count down very quickly by that age. Finally, it was down to days, then hours (never went to minutes/seconds). Here is the really sad part of this shaggy dog story. When I hit zero days, I didn't ER. Sorry about that. My "zero" hour was when I got my full pension vested and also considered myself FI. From that point forward, I figured it was one day at a time. If I was still having fun, I would stay and pad the ER stash. If not, as eventually happened, I would pull the plug with 2-weeks notice.

When the time came, it all happened too quickly to worry about counting anything down. BUT, the earlier "count-downs" were part of my own sanity preservation system. Worked very well - I think.:LOL: YMMV

Hang in there when the urges strike (and they may). Remember NOPE (not one puff, ever !).

You've got that right. I quit over 29 years ago, but I know if I ever took another puff, I'd likely start right back up.

Good going. You will be even busier in retirement than working! Congrats!

Congratulations on quitting! After about 39 years, I quit May 5th 2011. There are mostly great days, but every once in a while, it can get brutal

August 17th 2000. After a while it's just in your head. I did have a severe craving 3 years in. Couldn't have gotten me to believe it was in my head. Serious 'craving', that was my only one post withdrawl. The greatest thing is when you start to be able to smell smoke on people, from their cars. That always gave me an incentive. No wonder my ex smoking DF busted me every time, he could even sniff out packs hidden in the house.

The greatest thing is when you start to be able to smell smoke on people, from their cars. That always gave me an incentive. No wonder my ex smoking DF busted me every time, he could even sniff out packs hidden in the house.

Smelling smoke on people makes me cringe ... not because of the way they smell, but because I know I used to smell that way

Back
Top Bottom