Join Early Retirement Today

sunrise alarm clock
Old 07-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

sunrise alarm clock

hello - just retired June first and loving it so far - 60 yrs old, wife 55. I used to wake up at 4:30 for work (most productive in the morning)...now i wake up when the sun comes up and read FIRE forum instead of answering work emails

one thing i am really enjoying is that i am not exhausted from work anymore and able to divert energy and focus on home stuff that has long been delayed...we are already streamlining our expenses, something that seemed less important when i was working, but now i can focus more on eliminating $ waste and making sure our $s go to our health and high quality of life.

current income is rental properties and savings and pretty frugal living...pension probably starting next year. will pull from IRA and 401k eventually and will hold off on ss until 66.

love FIRE for info and to hear all the various opinions.

question - where do you get a list of all the acronyms on the site?
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations and welcome! Your experience sounds very similar to mine. It only gets better, IMHO.

Here is the answer to your question:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34884.html
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #3

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34884.html

Actually, there is a whole sub-forum full of FAQs.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/
Old 07-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

Congrats and welcome to the Free Zone. It's way more fun over here!
June 30th was 2 years for me. I am still giddy. I too relish early AM. Have coffee,enjoy the birds, and watch the sun rise while on the deck or in the screened patio (with the fur kid at my feet).
Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i'm just looking forward to the day I don't have to wake up at 0500 to hit the gym

I'd rather hit it when i feel like it after i sleep in a bit
Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Congrats and welcome to the Free Zone. It's way more fun over here!
June 30th was 2 years for me. I am still giddy. I too relish early AM. Have coffee,enjoy the birds, and watch the sun rise while on the deck or in the screened patio (with the fur kid at my feet).
Thanks to all for the responses...

I thought I would be missing work as i thought i needed to be busy...low and behold NOT TRUE.

I've had some requests for work type assistance since retiring and I have been remarkably uninterested and having an incredibly easy time saying no. In fact, the day that I stopped working I really turned off the brain/data faucet as far as work content is concerned.

I have relatives that are anxious about the fact that I am not still 'consulting' or anything similar. They are passing their own money anxieties on to me (or trying to)...I know better, no anxiety here.
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome and I'm eager to join you in a leisurely morning start one of these years.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

For 20+ years, I got up before 6 a.m. to start work at 7 a.m. If you asked me then, I would’ve said I was a morning person.

Now that I am ER and can (usually) let my body decide, I find that I stay up later and sleep until 8:00 a.m. on most mornings.

DH still goes to bed by 10:00 p.m. and wakes up before 7:00 a.m. That leaves me some quiet time at night; he gets his quiet time in the morning while I’m still in bed.

That’s the beauty of retirement. Clocks don’t matter unless you want them to matter.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote