Surg

Surg

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone, my friends call me Surg, and I am one of the luckiest men on the earth! I am 62, and have a wife of 28 years and three beautiful daughters 38 (previous marriage) a 14 year old (on the deans list) and a little cutie 9 year old that loves to play guitar (on stage) with her dad,me. I have worked for myself for years and love it-I have a small termite company in Tampa Bay and do well. I am also a backyard inventor and have just filed my second patent pending. I am going to make a very large amount of money on my newest invention ( have atleast three more). I will be retiring, lord willing and the creek don't rise, with-in the next two years with a very health income from my inventions-gotta love it!!! Any other inventors out there? Surg:greetings10:

Welcome :flowers:
Now I have 2 Floridians to envy unabashedly in January. ;)
Congratulations on your Eurekas!
Inventor also - 2 patents issued, 2 pending. I will never see any money out of them, but the 15 minutes of fame is delicious. :D Backlog at USPTO is horrendous, so you've got a while to wait. My 2 issues took an average of 3.5 years.
If there is not a lot of prior art, yours may zip right through.

This is "find bug wings on your windowsill" season here in Tampa. First year we moved here we had to tent the house. Not a single problem since then, 6 years ago.

I think the Tampa Bay region would be a great place to retire.

surge

Hello fellow inventor-what do you mean you won't make any money on your patents-that's the objecdt you knwo! Alot of people can invent but the secret is the target market and how to gey your product to them- Hello in Sarasota-my group that I performed with has played at Van Weezel Performing arts and Players theater-it was great. Surg

Hello fellow inventor-what do you mean you won't make any money on your patents-that's the objecdt you knwo! Alot of people can invent but the secret is the target market and how to gey your product to them- Hello in Sarasota-my group that I performed with has played at Van Weezel Performing arts and Players theater-it was great. Surg
My former employer owns all the rights. I am entitled to royalties, but...let's just say that I am continuing to breathe regularly. :D
I may come up with something on my own time someday. Once the Eureka hits, it is addicting. :cool:

Freebird

if you have invented one item it is a matter of time before you come up with your next project-it happens when you least expect it. I have three more items to design once I get my current invention on the market. Keep thinking!!! Surg

if you have invented one item it is a matter of time before you come up with your next project-it happens when you least expect it. I have three more items to design once I get my current invention on the market. Keep thinking!!! Surg
Oh, I shall...:D
Since I FIREd 2 yrs 1 mo ago, I made a promise to myself to not think for a while. Sounds crazy, but I was burned out on technology, at least the mode I was involved in. Way too much powerpoint engineering going on. :rolleyes:
However, you can take the engineer out of R&D, but you can't take R&D out of the engineer. :LOL:
For the first time in my life as a technogeek, I can actually relax and enjoy technology. Gone are the silly deadlines, the forced tech push, yadda yadda.
I have this funny feeling another Eureka is lying dormant. :cool:

Good luck with your design! That's the fun part. :D

firebird

what part of the country do you live in? I live in Clearwater, Fl. What type of engineering are you or were you involved in? Surg

Upstate NY.
Plan A - I was originally a Physics major headed for a c*reer in Geophysics, particularly seismic exploration. A killer recession and no job offers in 1980 when I graduated pushed me into Plan B.
Plan B consisted of a cornucopia of scientific programming, computer system management, lab data acquisition, digital imaging of lasers and fiber optic lab experimentation, speech processing, a smidge of signal processing, and some other minor areas I dabbled in. I got bored easily.
I almost finished a MSEE degree but got caught up by the 7 year rule, losing course credits as fast as I could take the next one.
Just call me a chameleon! :LOL:

Right now I'm a recovering engineer. ;)

And yourself?

freebird

grew up in a little town in upstate New York-Horseheads-I have a small termite company here-I am also a musician-last group was with south americans-have 5 cd's out-all instrumentals-really neat music-going to Newfoundland in August to perform with the "Elvis" of Newfoundland at a large shrimp festival-Am going out now to blow up termites-you have a great day-I am impressed with your education-I could never do regular schooling-learned on the streets-have had 18 companies that I started, got rolling and then would sell them and be out of work until the next one-tallyho, off to work I go!!

grew up in a little town in upstate New York-Horseheads-I have a small termite company here-I am also a musician-last group was with south americans-have 5 cd's out-all instrumentals-really neat music-going to Newfoundland in August to perform with the "Elvis" of Newfoundland at a large shrimp festival-Am going out now to blow up termites-you have a great day-I am impressed with your education-I could never do regular schooling-learned on the streets-have had 18 companies that I started, got rolling and then would sell them and be out of work until the next one-tallyho, off to work I go!!
I know exactly where Horseheads is. I spent my senior year at SUNY Binghamton and have driven to Corning Glass Works.
A musician - cool! There are several musicians here at the Forum.
Sounds like you were a business chameleon. 18 ventures - wow! :clap:
TY for education compliment. I was a bookworm as a kid and lucked out and won a Regents scholarship, full tuition for SUNY. It was all Mom's fault - she planted a dream in my head at a young age and I pursued it. Yeah Mom! :flowers:
Former empl*yer foot the bill for the Masters' courses. :D If they had been teaching me something new in class, I might have finished up. Academia lagged reality.

If you want to discuss general invention stuff but not in a public post, feel free to PM me.

Sound like you are doing well! Welcome.
I have worked for myself for years and love it
Given the above, don't be in too big a hurry to retire, unless your work is keeping you from doing something else that you would enjoy even more.

Back
Top Bottom